Thread: Elon is not happy!

Default Elon is not happy!

I admire Musk for his innovation. However, I'm not saying that I appreciate his economic views.

Man Who Does Not Pay Taxes Alarmed At The Prospect Of Paying Taxes

Elon Musk is tweeting again, despite multiple court orders meant to keep him in check. This time he’s talking fiscal policy, focused around a proposal that would tax unrealized capital gains for people like him. The rule change could stick Elon with a $10 billion annual tax bill, and he’s none too happy about it.

Let’s start with a quick primer on the proposed change. Senator Ron Wyden of Oregon has suggested an update to the current tax code, one that would affect long-term capital gains taxes for millionaires and billionaires. Currently, capital gains (an increase in value of something you own — real estate, stocks, pogs) are taxed as income if you own that property for less than a year. After a year or more, they’re taxes as “long-term capital gains” — a category that’s capped at a 20% tax.

No matter the tax rate, capital gains taxes are only incurred when you sell the relevant holding. If your stocks triple in value, but you and your diamond hands continue to HODL, you won’t incur any tax. That’s what Sen. Wyden’s proposal wants to change: Adding a tax on unrealized capital gains, to be treated as regular income, for top earners.
    You can read the rest. It isn't long.

Man Who Does Not Pay Taxes Alarmed At The Prospect Of Paying Taxes (msn.com)
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

Default Re: Elon is not happy!

Well, sure.

They're just going to use his taxes to feed and house and care for stupid people who aren’t billionaires.

Gross.

It’s his money. He earned it, fair and square. He should be able to keep it all.

Those greedy, stupid, poor people should get jobs, and THEY should pay taxes!

Those barfs.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Well, sure.

They're just going to use his taxes to feed and house and care for stupid people who aren’t billionaires.

Gross.

It’s his money. He earned it, fair and square. He should be able to keep it all.

Those greedy, stupid, poor people should get jobs, and THEY should pay taxes!

Those barfs.
    Come on, Rob, tell us what you really think! And for the record, I agree with you.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

I think it was pointed out in another thread here--the need to separate Musk's accomplishments from Musk the person. As was mentioned elsewhere, consider Henry Ford, the antisemite.

I'll repeat the simple concept: Those with 90% of the money should pay 90% of the taxes. If they pay less, those with less pay more.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

I was kinda thinking along the lines of how I’d be mad rich, too, if I didn’t support so many unwanteds, and give away so much stuff and money.

How anyone can complain about a few million dollars while people starve is simply beyond my ken; it seems egregiously inhumane.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    I was kinda thinking along the lines of how I’d be mad rich, too, if I didn’t support so many unwanteds, and give away so much stuff and money.

How anyone can complain about a few million dollars while people starve is simply beyond my ken; it seems egregiously inhumane.
    I think of it in terms of my local property tax. Two-thirds of my tax bill goes to the local schools and I don't have kids. However, I do encounter them at every intersection, in the stores, on the streets, etc., and I don't want to deal with uneducated people making bad decisions. So I pay my taxes and live in a better world.

Here is a reason Musk moved to Texas as he fears that California would go after his holdings. The move was preemptive. He's idea of good citizenship is different than yours. His values and upbringing is a reflection of who he is. His roots are his understanding of social apartheid, from the 1940's 1940s: from Afrikaans, literally ‘separateness’, apart ‘separate’ + -heid, a concept of segregation on grounds other than race. One does not need to be racist to hold the values of apartheid.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    I'll repeat the simple concept: Those with 90% of the money should pay 90% of the taxes.
    I disagree, actually. I'd say an equitable principle of taxation would be 'equal pain'. When our money is limited we buy the essential things first, and as we get more, we generally buy the next-most-important things on the list. Taxes, whatever the rate, cause more trouble the poorer you are. For somebody very, very poor, having to pay taxes can make the difference between having enough to eat or not, or a place to live, or heat in the winter. For somebody somewhat better off, it's not so dramatic, although it can make a real difference in quality of life - but it makes less difference as one gets wealthier. And by the time one is as rich as Mr Musk, paying 80% of your wealth would have almost zero effect on day-to-day life; the only difference would be the numbers when he counts his wealth.
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 10-28-2021 at 11:04 AM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    I disagree, actually. I'd say an equitable principle of taxation would be 'equal pain'. When our money is limited we buy the essential things first, and as we get more, we generally buy the next-most-important things on the list. For somebody very, very poor, having to pay taxes can make the difference between having enough to eat or not. For somebody somewhat better off, it can make a real difference in quality of life - although it makes less difference as one gets wealthier. And by the time one is as rich as Mr Musk, paying 80% of your wealth would have almost zero effect on day-to-day life.
    We are witnessing power not wealth. Why give up power in wealth when so many grovel, rush to point the greatness of one's person, raise the value of their cult status in celebrity and make others believe they are Solomon among the masses? Ego and power are not easily given up. None are willing to let it go willingly. It would like asking a magnet to stop attracting.

The Bezos rocket image is not lost on me. It leaves from Texas and is worshiped like the great phallus it is.
    Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 9.04.58 AM.jpg
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 10-28-2021 at 11:06 AM.

Of course he's upset. Paying taxes? Silly idea……I mean who knows where such foolisness could lead?………………….

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    We are witnessing power not wealth. Why give up power in wealth when so many grovel, rush to point the greatness of one's person, raise the value of their cult status in celebrity and make others believe they are Solomon among the masses? Ego and power are not easily given up. None are willing to let it go willingly. It would like asking a magnet to stop attracting.
    True enough. Most people aren't that concerned with wealth and the power it brings, and have at least some idea of 'that's enough'.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,

Richard Feynman

The Bezos rocket image is not lost on me. It leaves from Texas and is worshiped like the great phallus it is.
    Yes, but those things down at the base of it are so small!

I can't feel sorry for Musk or any of his ilk who think this is "unfair". They're a vanishingly small group of people and they should be taxed like the rest of us.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Reagan introduced this idea that by reducing taxes on the rich the working people would benefit. That was 4 decades ago. Haven't we proven it wrong long enough?

. . . by reducing taxes on the rich the working people would benefit.
    That was how it was sold, and a lot of people believed it. A lot still believe it, amazingly enough. It was mostly bullsh!t then, and it's 100% bullsh!t now.

Richard Feynman

I read the other day that Musk’s wealth has recently surpassed Bezo’s by $100 BILLION! Seems like just a few years ago the richest on the planet were just breaking $50 billion. And yet the tent camps are continuing to grow, especially here in Bezo’s hometown. Obscene.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    I'll repeat the simple concept: Those with 90% of the money should pay 90% of the taxes. If they pay less, those with less pay more.
    I disagree, actually. I'd say an equitable principle of taxation would be 'equal pain'. When our money is limited we buy the essential things first, and as we get more, we generally buy the next-most-important things on the list. Taxes, whatever the rate, cause more trouble the poorer you are. For somebody very, very poor, having to pay taxes can make the difference between having enough to eat or not, or a place to live, or heat in the winter. For somebody somewhat better off, it's not so dramatic, although it can make a real difference in quality of life - but it makes less difference as one gets wealthier. And by the time one is as rich as Mr Musk, paying 80% of your wealth would have almost zero effect on day-to-day life; the only difference would be the numbers when he counts his wealth.
    Let me be clearer still.. those with 90% of the wealth should pay _all_ the taxes. It is obscene to expect the working poor to also pay to support the system the wealthy use to keep those working poor both poor and working. Somehow, tho, the workers have been convinced of the lie of trickle down.

"The promise was that when the glass was full, it would overflow, benefiting the poor," Francis said. "What happens in stead is that when the glass is full, it magically gets bigger, but nothing ever comes out for the poor."

and the 'thousand word' vew..

wuerker06.jpg

That was how it was sold, and a lot of people believed it. A lot still believe it, amazingly enough. It was mostly bullsh!t then, and it's 100% bullsh!t now.
    When the euphemism gets softened from 'horse and sparrow' to 'trickle down' economics, you'd think that'd be more obvious to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Durnik View Post
    Let me be clearer still.. those with 90% of the wealth should pay _all_ the taxes. It is obscene to expect the working poor to also pay to support the system the wealthy use to keep those working poor both poor and working. Somehow, though, the workers have been convinced of the lie of trickle down.
    I agree with you.

But you might note that those just below that group tells us how difficult life is. They need free college and lower cost housing and a lot more. Perhaps much more than those at the bottom need food and shelter. Certainly more than the poor need a good K-12 education.
    Life is complex.

Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 9.04.58 AM.jpg
    It’s more modest than SpaceX and more anatomically correct!

Can’t wait for the first trillionaire. Who will it be?

Self-centered. Disingenuous. Flat out wrong as to the facts.

And a despicable, tone-deaf bit of appropriation: attempting to use the Martin Niemöller call to honesty, integrity, and HUMANITY... as a disingenuous scare tactic to justify his own egregious tax-avoidance.

"Eventually, they run out of other people's money and then they come for you."
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

[QUOTE=Durnik;6550810]Let me be clearer still.. those with 90% of the wealth should pay _all_ the taxes. It is obscene to expect the working poor to also pay to support the system the wealthy use to keep those working poor both poor and working. Somehow, tho, the workers have been convinced of the lie of trickle down.]

Rob said "he earned it, he should keep it"

The actuality of the multi rich "earning it" escapes me. No such person has ever "earned it". They have figured out how a system works and then used it to enhance their part of it. Most likely they just instruct an underling to sell this, buy that or manipulate that to increase their wealth. I do not associate the word earn with money manipulation.

Our money system is designed to value multiplication of assets as opposed to valuing the efforts of those who always actually do the earning for those designated to reap the benefits of those who actually do the work that earns. It has ever been thus.

^

"Rob said..."

I trust you know Rob was being sarcastic.. a thing hard to do in today's topsy turvy world.

His roots are his understanding of social apartheid, from the 1940's 1940s: from Afrikaans, literally ‘separateness’, apart ‘separate’ + -heid, a concept of segregation on grounds other than race. One does not need to be racist to hold the values of apartheid.
    I think you may be wrong.

There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    I think you may be wrong.

[video=youtube[/video]
    I know the man. read my definition. What you just posted what he wants you to think and believe. I know he thinks he is better than most.

no body his age during those years wanted any part of sun city. It would not be great if he said he would have enjoyed it.

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 10-28-2021 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Durnik View Post
    ^

"Rob said..."

I trust you know Rob was being sarcastic.. a thing hard to do in today's topsy turvy world.

Of course Rob. I certainly did not mean to poke you very hard but to only accept your claim as truth we should be aware of.

Elon sounds alot like the Carnegies, Rockefellers, Astors, Vanderbilts, etc. when the income tax was 1st put in place in the early 1900s but their accountants and lawyers found loopholes and manipulated the laws so that Elon doesn't pay taxes today. Way overdue to fix that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ranger View Post
    Elon sounds alot like the Carnegies, Rockefellers, Astors, Vanderbilts, etc. when the income tax was 1st put in place in the early 1900s but their accountants and lawyers found loopholes and manipulated the laws so that Elon doesn't pay taxes today. Way overdue to fix that problem.
    Just so.

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Default Elon is not happy!

Here is a reason Musk moved to Texas as he fears that California would go after his holdings. The move was preemptive. He's idea of good citizenship is different than yours. His values and upbringing is a reflection of who he is. His roots are his understanding of social apartheid, from the 1940's 1940s: from Afrikaans, literally ‘separateness’, apart ‘separate’ + -heid, a concept of segregation on grounds other than race. One does not need to be racist to hold the values of apartheid.
    I always loved apartheidt's rather onomatopoetic and self-referential punning pronunciation in Afrikaans: apart-hate
    Last edited by Nicholas Carey; 10-29-2021 at 01:42 AM.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandlapper View Post
    Of course Rob. I certainly did not mean to poke you very hard but to only accept your claim as truth we should be aware of.
    No probs, didn't feel poked at all.. just didn't realize you knew he wasn't serious. We agree.