Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Synema = Ambition

Default Re: Synema = Ambition

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    now, there can be no big win on infrastructure. it is meaningless, next to "the very fabric of american democracy!"
    Do you think that the fabric of American democracy is NOT at risk right now?

Infrastructure has always been less important than that--something the progressive caucus understands, while you do not. Mainstream/moderate Democrats have a habit of selling maintenance of the status quo as "a big win" while ignoring the real problems.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

you don't find it odd that "the fabric of american democracy" depends on the votes of one, maybe two, legislators, in the current session?

or is somebody full of self-aggrandizing ****, as usual.

I think the 2020 election was about character and decency. God knows we're seeing a huge contrast in character and decency between the parties since.

I also think that the shape Biden took in his election promises - from COVID policy through community College tuitions and etc, said that decency in social policy meant giving a damn about ordinary people's lives and needs. And paying for those things with fairly obvious and desperately popular bits of tax policy.

I don't think this is any surprise. I don't think it's Bernie pulling the strings. I think it's Biden doing what he'd have preferred to do with the ACA 12 years ago.

I don't have much sympathy for Sinema or Manchin, because they, within the entire Dem Senate caucus, are athwart the tide. It isn't like they're challenging Bernie, it's that everyone who's not Republican is challenging 2 holdouts.

Same proportions in the House. The House "moderates" are a small proportion of the full Dem caucus. I don't think a minority of less than 10% of a party's caucus should wield a veto over the other 90%; I think that if they want a bigger voice in their party, they should work to elect more like minded members. Period.

This is becoming a tyranny of the minority case study, and it's selfish, and counterproductive.

Fwiw, I had the same feeling about how the Republican House couldn't govern, because the Republican caucus was so divided. The narrative then was that tgwvDems were terrible because *they* obstructed Trump's agenda .. while giving a pass to the extreme GOP members whose votes would have handily brought a GOP majority vote.

Now it's the Dems who can't corral an ideological sector of their party, but you'll notice that the narrative isn't that it's the moderate Republicans' fault for the obstruction. We pretend that no Republicans would like more taxation enforcement, or would vote for renewing the voting rights act as their Republican predecessors overwhelmingly for decades. Because we have proof positive that this generation of elected Republicans are virtually all corrupt or cowards. And defiantly so.

So it comes down to the minority wing of the Dems allowing as they **are** a minority and acting like it. With some grace .
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

what is the mechanism for forcing the vote of a u.s. senator?

i've asked before, i'm asking again.

if you ask fifty times and fifty times they say no, what then?

tyranny of the minority or whatever, this is representative democracy.

my point from the start has been that good leaders do the best they can with the cards they have; they play a losing hand to win. that was the call by nancy and joe to vote on the infrastructure bill. a smart play by good leaders.

bad leaders play a losing hand to lose. which is what we are doing right now. losing.

What Tip O'Neill might have done is stripped a member's constituency of any goodies. Leaving them stony broke, and telling the public there exactly why. What McConnell would do is not dissimilar, but I'd bet he has a Herbert Hoover-like file on many members of his caucus, to exact just that twist or two more of loyalty out of the thumbscrews.

I dunno how to compel a vote nicely. One would prefer that the members themselves would acquiesce rather than demand that they be treated like kingmakers.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    What Tip O'Neill might have done is stripped a member's constituency of any goodies. Leaving them stony broke, and telling the public there exactly why. What McConnell would do is not dissimilar, but I'd bet he has a Herbert Hoover-like file on many members of his caucus, to exact just that twist or two more of loyalty out of the thumbscrews.

I dunno how to compel a vote nicely. One would prefer that the members themselves would acquiesce rather than demand that they be treated like kingmakers.
    ok, and when they don't, then what?

like i said weeks ago, "she's [sinema] the worst. now what?"

people unthinking assume that the situation we have now was inevitable. that "manchin and sinema" were destined to be emblazoned on the collective psyche. there were other ways, better ways.

I'm not sure what "other ways" might have been. Sinema's not inspired me as someone who actually wants to play on a team. Or who will be wrangled except by being primaried.

Again, she's essentially cut ties with her constituents when it comes to hearing and representing their concerns. She did that over the filibuster, over the minimum wage, and has moved further since ... I don't accept that she moved to this position of rejection of her voters' expressed views because the DC progressives hurt her feelings, or some men felt that a woman with "ambition" needed to just sit down and submit to the patriarchy.

This isn't about her gender, when her key critics include women like Pelosi, AOC, Jayapal, or Warren. And it isn't about Bernie when the key folks urging compromise include people like Durban, Schumer, and Blumenthal.

I think Sinema's embracing her identity as a "powerful" Senator, and doesn't want to understand that the power really does need to serve something bigger than ego. It's understandable why, in this climate, she's got so screwed up in her head, but frankly she has done. She's lost her way, and to me is showing evidence of something I'd call moral and ethical dysfunction. Spiritual malaise.

I have compassion for that, and am frankly concerned for her well-being and emotional-spiritual health. This is a grim dynamic she's walked herself into, and it is causing damage to her which, if I were her counselor, I'd try to have her recognize and unpack.

But I'm not her counselor, or even her constituent. All I can do is recognize and name the dysfunction, and the conflict it presents with her elected duty to her constituents.

I'm not sure what "other ways" might have been. Sinema's not inspired me as someone who actually wants to play on a team. Or who will be wrangled except by being primaried.

Again, she's essentially cut ties with her constituents when it comes to hearing and representing their concerns. She did that over the filibuster, over the minimum wage, and has moved further since ... I don't accept that she moved to this position of rejection of her voters' expressed views because the DC progressives hurt her feelings, or some men felt that a woman with "ambition" needed to just sit down and submit to the patriarchy.

This isn't about her gender, when her key critics include women like Pelosi, AOC, Jayapal, or Warren. And it isn't about Bernie when the key folks urging compromise include people like Durban, Schumer, and Blumenthal.

I think Sinema's embracing her identity as a "powerful" Senator, and doesn't want to understand that the power really does need to serve something bigger than ego. It's understandable why, in this climate, she's got so screwed up in her head, but frankly she has done. She's lost her way, and to me is showing evidence of something I'd call moral and ethical dysfunction. Spiritual malaise.

I have compassion for that, and am frankly concerned for her well-being and emotional-spiritual health. This is a grim dynamic she's walked herself into, and it is causing damage to her which, if I were her counselor, I'd try to have her recognize and unpack.

But I'm not her counselor, or even her constituent. All I can do is recognize and name the dysfunction, and the conflict it presents with her elected duty to her constituents.
    good analysis. much, much better than the op ed in the o.p.

agree that she appears to be dysfunctional. i suspect that the dysfunction was recognized by party leaders and may have even been why biden/pelosi moved to uncouple the legislation.

i maintain that the confrontational set up of the coupled bills, and coercive tone of the frustrated left, are bad leadership, and horrible politics. good leadership means foreseeing consequences and steering the conversation and perceptions away from the worst results.

dragging sinema out into the street and whipping her is the worst move possible. the fact is, she is a senator, has a vote, and there is no mechanism for forcing her vote.

manchin is a tougher nut, and his reply to bernie's tactics is to shrug, "hey, i can leave the party if my participation is inconvenient." he points out a very simple reality. and again, after months of talking to him, trying to cajole him into supporting a bigger price tag and more taxes, the president saw, and understood his intransigence.

the difference between biden and sanders is that one is prepared to accept reality and cope with it, the other thinks that he can coerce a result by scolding and ostracizing senators. unfortunately, the latter is having his way.

My understanding of Baxter's argument is this:

1. Given the 50/50 Senate split, and looming 2022 elections, any drastic or even substantially progressive proposals are doomed to failure.

2. An infrastructure bill could pass in some form, however.

3. Biden, recognizing this, wanted a vote on it so he could show that Democrats had achieved something, at least, in the form of governance to take into 2022.

4. Progressives are refusing to follow the president's lead, and are thus obstructing the one thing that could actually be done: infrastructure.

5. Moreover, Bernie Sanders being openly critical of Sinema--harshly so--projects a message of disunity, and will destroy the only thing Democrats might achieve by forcing Sinema to dig in. Which puts them at risk of losing House and Senate in 2022.

I've tried not to let my bias creep in--that's as close as I can get to a paraphrase of Baxter's position. I'm happy to be corrected if I got anything wrong.

Now, here's how that sounds to me:

1. Basically, the "other ways, better ways" Baxter prefers would be letting Sinema and Manchin have whatever they want, just to get something done. What Baxter doesn't realize is that caving in to a micro-minority that way sets a CEILING on what Democrats will accomplish, not a floor. Give in to Sinema and Manchin, and progressives will get nothing they believe is important. Nothing at all.

2. Why on earth would any politician agree to that? Sure, there's "party loyalty" (Republicans play that way). But Sanders is not a member of the party. He's a potential ally whose relationship to the party will always be somewhat transactional. And the progressive caucus is far bigger than the Sinema-Manchin obstructionist duo, so their views absolutely deserve more consideration and weight.

3. Moreover, many of the things progressives are pushing for are things that VOTERS actually want. Baxter consistently ignores this. He'd rather see government cater to Sinema than do the things that their voters would like to see done.

Well said, Tom. But it's going to be a tall order for Baxter to set aside his motivated reasoning to understand it. The need he has shown to lash out at Bernie Sanders, and damn the facts, is extraordinary.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

I think Lee's saying, as I frequently do, that "the perfect is the enemy of the good." That Progressives who draw sharp lines seeking pretty much all of what they want, or a disproportionate amount of it, are imperiling the "good" of achieving meaningful advances for actual people.

He's got a good point. But I'm not at all sure that Progressives are in any sense doing that. They're reportedly jettisoning all or major parts of any number of proposed programs which they all ran on - from Medicare expansion to pre-K to tax reform to community college tuition to climate initiatives. This isn't the approach of people abandoning "the good" in favor of the ever retreating "perfect."

I don't think Manchin is doing this either, though IMO he's out of line. I do think that, from what little we can see, Sinema OTOH may be seeking the elusive "perfect," not least through refusing to negotiate like she was a peer among peers, rather than a head of state.

in war, or team sport, or any organized endeavor legal or criminal, one of the first strategic principles is, you hide your weaknesses.

manchin and sinema were known quantities. negotiations correctly done behind closed doors had demonstrated the weakness of support for the president's full agenda. biden saw the weakness, he correctly moved to minimize it. he has been stymied multiple times in the last month by a guy with horrible political instincts.

bernie has drug the weakness out into the street, as if by exposing it he can change it to a strength. that never works, ever.

i have a friend, he used to post here, who pre trump would remind the impatient me,
    the goal of liberal/progressive politics should be slow incremental change for the good
    that eventually became acceptable to me

but the last decade* has been crushing to liberals, never mind the four years of trump
    citizens united, the gutting of the voting rights act, insanely irresponsible tax and fiscal policy, attacks on the viability of the social safety net (begun under bill clinton), the first real widespread acts of public displays of political violence in my life, broad acceptability on the right of foreign interference in the running of our nation, not just acceptance but a celebration of ineptitude and incompetence on the right

any thinking person can add to the above list ad infinitum

that above doesn't just represent a slowing of incremental moves forward, it shows real roll backs of decades of foundational progressive work

i think that's where much of the hardening of progressives comes from, i think that's where much of the all or nothing attitude is from

*the previous three decades were none too great either. . .
    Last edited by Paul Pless; 10-28-2021 at 08:13 AM.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by willin woodworks View Post
    Leave abortion aside for now. Focus on voting rights. If we can guarantee free and fair elections the GOP is toast and the Dems pick up enough seats to tackle abortion after the mid terms.

Voting and elections are far more important and less divisive than abortion. Lets get some damn points on the board before it's too late and the midterms turn into a GOP sweep. If that happens we are all well and truly screwed
    I've written my senators and suggested the move voting rights and abortion to the front of the line. If they pass bills protecting our votes and protecting a woman's right to choose, I believe they will gain seats in '22, and if they keep the house and add two or three democratic senators, they'll be able to pass most anything they want.

The infrastructure bills are negotiating with a moving target.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

I think the 2020 election was about character and decency. God knows we're seeing a huge contrast in character and decency between the parties since.

I also think that the shape Biden took in his election promises - from COVID policy through community College tuitions and etc, said that decency in social policy meant giving a damn about ordinary people's lives and needs. And paying for those things with fairly obvious and desperately popular bits of tax policy.

I don't think this is any surprise. I don't think it's Bernie pulling the strings. I think it's Biden doing what he'd have preferred to do with the ACA 12 years ago.

I don't have much sympathy for Sinema or Manchin, because they, within the entire Dem Senate caucus, are athwart the tide. It isn't like they're challenging Bernie, it's that everyone who's not Republican is challenging 2 holdouts.

Same proportions in the House. The House "moderates" are a small proportion of the full Dem caucus. I don't think a minority of less than 10% of a party's caucus should wield a veto over the other 90%; I think that if they want a bigger voice in their party, they should work to elect more like minded members. Period.

This is becoming a tyranny of the minority case study, and it's selfish, and counterproductive.

Fwiw, I had the same feeling about how the Republican House couldn't govern, because the Republican caucus was so divided. The narrative then was that tgwvDems were terrible because *they* obstructed Trump's agenda .. while giving a pass to the extreme GOP members whose votes would have handily brought a GOP majority vote.

Now it's the Dems who can't corral an ideological sector of their party, but you'll notice that the narrative isn't that it's the moderate Republicans' fault for the obstruction. We pretend that no Republicans would like more taxation enforcement, or would vote for renewing the voting rights act as their Republican predecessors overwhelmingly for decades. Because we have proof positive that this generation of elected Republicans are virtually all corrupt or cowards. And defiantly so.

So it comes down to the minority wing of the Dems allowing as they **are** a minority and acting like it. With some grace .
    Sadly, those two senators can prevent anything from becoming law. The solution, which needs to be sold, is to elect MORE dems in '22. That requires protecting our elections.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

you never talk about the family

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    i have a friend, he used to post here, who pre trump would remind the impatient me,
    the goal of liberal/progressive politics should be slow incremental change for the good
    that eventually became acceptable to me

but the last decade* has been crushing to liberals, never mind the four years of trump
    citizens united, the gutting of the voting rights act, insanely irresponsible tax and fiscal policy, attacks on the viability of the social safety net (begun under bill clinton), the first real widespread acts of public displays of political violence in my life, broad acceptability on the right of foreign interference in the running of our nation, not just acceptance but a celebration of ineptitude and incompetence on the right

any thinking person can add to the above list ad infinitum

that above doesn't just represent a slowing of incremental moves forward, it shows real roll backs of decades of foundational progressive work

i think that's where much of the hardening of progressives comes from, i think that's where much of the all or nothing attitude is from

*the previous three decades were none too great either. . .
    who attacked the party in '15-16? who drug our weakness out into the street for flogging? how did that turn out? do you think it had anything to do with everything that followed?

who was first to insinuate, with no substantiation, that he was being robbed of his rightful election? and who did he say was robbing him?

how did that turn out?

was the allegation of the "rigging" of the democratic party nomination process a fertilizer for the traction of some later allegations? can you think of any.

You're trying too hard. I don't have much patience with those who value leftist purity over actually making legislative progress, but blaming Bernie Sanders for Mr Trump's pathology is way over the top.

I do not understand Ms Sinema's thinking. It makes no sense to me; doesn't appear to be advantageous for the country, for the party, or for her personally. If I were a fan of conspiracy theories I might think she's actually trying to sabotage things, but I don't think that's likely.
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 10-28-2021 at 09:16 AM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    You're trying too hard. I don't have much patience with those who value leftist purity over actually making legislative progress, but blaming Bernie Sanders for Mr Trump's pathology is way over the top.

I do not understand Ms Sinema's thinking. It makes no sense to me; doesn't appear to be advantageous for the country, for the party, or for her personally.
    i don't "blame bernie for trump's pathology". don't even know how you get that, from anything i have typed.

i do blame him for some of the sickness in the body politic. he has been poisoning us for years, in the same way he has poisoned us this month.

I'm no "Bernie bro." While I certainly understand that his state's politics are a big reason that Bernie's formally an Independent, I'm frankly aghast that the Dems' rules permit a person to join the party when they want to run for the POTUS nomination, and leave the party when they don't get it ... and then repeat the cycle. I think it's frankly an abuse of the notion of a party, and the notion of independence from a party. I think that Bernie bears some responsibility for Clinton's loss, one of the several 2% factors which each shifted the needle, and in combination with all of the others might proved determinative. And had Clinton won (as in the imaginary scenario if Gore had won), the world would be quite different.

I don't think it's Bernie this time, though, who's being such an unaware a$$ as to sink a necessary deal. And in that, if anything, I feel like this time he's going against his own grain, his own history.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    i don't "blame bernie for trump's pathology". don't even know how you get that, from anything i have typed.
    See post #52.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,

Richard Feynman

I've come to think that the MOST important thing here is to educate the public that 48 democratic senators support bills that 70% of the people want passed. We cannot pass them because these two 'democrats' won't even negotiate in good faith; they play Lucy and the football.

My wish is the dems would concentrate of voting rights and abortion laws. If they cannot pass those due to lack of support by the two renegades, then they will have to convince people to elect MORE dems in '22, which may not be possible is voting rights are not protected.

I think Lee's saying, as I frequently do, that "the perfect is the enemy of the good." That Progressives who draw sharp lines seeking pretty much all of what they want, or a disproportionate amount of it, are imperiling the "good" of achieving meaningful advances for actual people.

He's got a good point. But I'm not at all sure that Progressives are in any sense doing that. They're reportedly jettisoning all or major parts of any number of proposed programs which they all ran on - from Medicare expansion to pre-K to tax reform to community college tuition to climate initiatives. This isn't the approach of people abandoning "the good" in favor of the ever retreating "perfect."

I don't think Manchin is doing this either, though IMO he's out of line. I do think that, from what little we can see, Sinema OTOH may be seeking the elusive "perfect," not least through refusing to negotiate like she was a peer among peers, rather than a head of state.
    I think it less complex. Passing something is better than passing nothing. Passing something is more likely to gain dems seats than passing nothing will.

They could then advertise that they could have done MORE if there were two or three more democratic senators.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

The problem is not Sinema's ambition. Anyone who runs for high office needs ambition. The problem is her incoherence. I have no idea how her actions serve her constituents or further her career, and I suspect her constituents feel the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    The problem is not Sinema's ambition. Anyone who runs for high office needs ambition. The problem is her incoherence. I have no idea how her actions serve her constituents or further her career, and I suspect her constituents feel the same way.
    Have to disagree with that first bit. She seems to be shaping up as a classic example of being captured by the system, and falling in love with power for its own sake.

I can absolutely sympathize with her frustrations at trying to do the 'right thing' and being ahead of her time... and fighting entrenched and powerful interests... and losing more than you win... and being always cognizant of the limitations of being an 'outsider'.

But I agree... her response to the dilemma lacks coherence. It's dysfunctional, and may reflect her own internal issues and fault-lines. We all were shaped by our lives, influences, epiphanies, and choices... and we all have our demons to contend with.
    Last edited by David G; 10-28-2021 at 01:40 PM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

. . The problem is her incoherence. I have no idea how her actions serve her constituents or further her career . . .
    Indeed. It may make sense to her, but I sure can't figure out what she's trying to do. Any fool can screw things up; that doesn't increase her power unless she uses the influence to do something.

Richard Feynman

all very interesting speculation.

whatever is wrong with her, how much of her dysfunction was known to party leadership a month ago, and who thought that a public whipping was the fix?

i hope that she can be brought to vote for the manchin version of the reconciliation bill, at least.

Twitter tells us that she's just begun a meeting with Jayapal and Sen. Shatz. So we'll see.
    Last edited by TomF; 10-28-2021 at 03:15 PM. Reason: correction - wasn't Pelosi

Sinema has shown she can be bought. Why can't the left just pay her a higher ransom? It's cynical, but considering the stakes, would it not be worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bflat View Post
    Sinema has shown she can be bought. Why can't the left just pay her a higher ransom? It's cynical, but considering the stakes, would it not be worth it?
    She won't say what she wants.

she's waiting for manchin to cut his deal, as the lone holdout then she will have the most power in her bargaining position
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Nobody turns down money. Pay more to her than big pharma does. Buying her off might be all that's left.

Jayapal met with her today, and has reported that she is very confident now that all will work by next week