Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The longer you watch, the worse it gets.

Default The longer you watch, the worse it gets.

__________________________________________________ ________________________

Default Re: The longer you watch, the worse it gets.

Ah, yes, the 'first time truck renter' ! ! !

we need sound!
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

oh lord

I can just imagine him returning that truck. He had some explaining to do!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    I can just imagine him returning that truck. He had some explaining to do!
    i doubt this truck was returned
    he never got it out of the garage

He could just blame it on the car wash.

we assume that the 3" steel pipe, normally hanging from overhead chains at the entry to warn everyone of the height limit, was out getting a fresh coat of bright yellow paint?
    What color are their hands now?

That’s what the sprinkler system pipe was doing.

A couple of years ago, a young neighbor had rented a UHaul trailer on a saturday morning and was trying to back it end to his driveway. My next door neighbor and I happened to be outside chatting and we soon noticed they young man had no idea how to back up a trailer (literally no idea). We walked over and visited with him and tried to explain to him the concept of turning the reverse direction until the trailer is headed in the right direction and told him to go slow and one of us would guide him. I let Charlie try to give him directions so he was as to keep it simple for him and stayed quiet. He simply could not bring himself to turn the wheel as directed. This went on for two or three tries and we stopped and I offered to back it in for him, very politely. This seemed to offend him, I guess he thought he would lose his man card. Charlie told him, no big deal, everyone has to learn and watching someone would help. No good. So we tried to guide him a couple of more times. No success. Then his wife came out and simply mimic'd the directions Charlie was giving him: all went perfectly. He could bring himself to do his wife said, but not us. Afterwards, he did not want to talk to us.

I swear, we were polite and did not, in the least, make fun of him at any time.

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    we assume that the 3" steel pipe, normally hanging from overhead chains at the entry to warn everyone of the height limit, was out getting a fresh coat of bright yellow paint?
    The clown still didn't realise what it indicated, even after he clouted it

Quote Originally Posted by peb View Post
    A couple of years ago, a young neighbor had rented a UHaul trailer on a saturday morning and was trying to back it end to his driveway. My next door neighbor and I happened to be outside chatting and we soon noticed they young man had no idea how to back up a trailer (literally no idea). We walked over and visited with him and tried to explain to him the concept of turning the reverse direction until the trailer is headed in the right direction and told him to go slow and one of us would guide him. I let Charlie try to give him directions so he was as to keep it simple for him and stayed quiet. He simply could not bring himself to turn the wheel as directed. This went on for two or three tries and we stopped and I offered to back it in for him, very politely. This seemed to offend him, I guess he thought he would lose his man card. Charlie told him, no big deal, everyone has to learn and watching someone would help. No good. So we tried to guide him a couple of more times. No success. Then his wife came out and simply mimic'd the directions Charlie was giving him: all went perfectly. He could bring himself to do his wife said, but not us. Afterwards, he did not want to talk to us.

First time I drove the truck with a short trailer to the dump it took me a half dozen attempts to back it up right. I’m always impressed by skilled truck drivers in 53’ trucks and firefighters in ladder trucks maneuvering in tight spaces.

Went to a class in Boston. Guy teaching the class rented a large station wagon from Hertz. He dropped everyone off at the hotel door, and I kept him company while he parked the car on this snowy evening. Hotel was in the middle of the airport.

He found a spot where he had to parallel park on his left against a curb which separated the parking lot from an airport road. He put the tailgate window down and began backing in. Snow plow comes by and fills the third seat with snow. He puts down his driver side window to finish parking, as he's hungry and wants to eat.

As he continues to back in, a second plow comes screaming by and fills the front seat with snow and slush.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

E0EF9CCE-7004-4BF7-A8FE-20BDCDF2E7B3.jpg

The same can be said of the “Tesla Trolling Hugh” thread.
    \"A little too tall, coulda used a few pounds...\"

New groomer & A BRAND NEW ( 4 days old ) $90,000 Grooming van

IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

We were out to Sunday brunch with my mother-in-law when I got the call. The groomer, unlike the monkeys in the OP video, she was smart enough not to press on once the roof hit the top.

I walked her through deflating the tires and backing it out slowly, then going to the nearest gas station and refilling the tires with air to the proper amount. After the stressful conversation, I went back in and enjoyed my cold Eggs Benedict and bottomless mimosa
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Few years back, a 13 foot high bus, carrying a girls high school softball team, ran into the 9 foot clearance Arboretum bridge. The driver was following his GPS.
    LETíS GO, BIDEN!

I watched a dude in a Subaru station wagon with bikes on the roof hit the yellow pipe hanging at the entrance to the parking garage and just keep going. When he got to the spiral ramp he cleaned the bikes and the rack right off the car......always wondered what he thought the yellow pipe was there for

I flew down from Minnesota to San Antonio, Texas and then on to Austin to collect my daughter from college . I had a Ryder truck and car dolly rented for 7 AM the morning after I arrived. When we got her stuff loaded and started to leave the apart entry / condo complex, she directed me to a rear gate for easier highway access. That gate was closed, and I was forced to back the unfamiliar truck / tow dolly / and her newish car back thru the complex to reach the regular gate -- then drive up into Kansas by that night. One day I never wanted to repeat, but because I had previous experience backing horse trailers it was not as bad as it could have been.

Rick

I once built a garage with an over height door for a surfer who in the past had taken all his surfboards off the rack as he drove in.
    He said he just needed to be sure.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

That driver has some resolve.

A friend of mine drove his Chrysler Minivan into an underground parking lot with his Cosine Wherry on top. It peeled the boat and roof racks right off the top, and did a huge amount of damage to the vehicle in the process.

The boat was easily repaired. The van was written off.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    First time I drove the truck with a short trailer to the dump it took me a half dozen attempts to back it up right. I’m always impressed by skilled truck drivers in 53’ trucks and firefighters in ladder trucks maneuvering in tight spaces.
    I had to wait driving out of my shop while a 18 wheel rig did a three point turn using a alley a couple if weeks ago. Took him a while, but it was a pleasure sitting in my car watching him do it.

Not only does it need sound, but I'm sure sound and video of inside the cab would be priceless.

I had a customer call me one day in a panic.
    She had backed her car through her garage door and wanted to know if she should call her
    car insurance agent or her home insurance agent.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

when I drove commercial for living. I had two incidents that were thankfully not my fault. In one I was backed up to elevator in an underground loading dock. The guys backed me in as far as they could and unloaded the truck to the ground. When I went to leave the roof of the truck was firmly pressed up against the roof of the dock. The guys had to bring their entire crew down to get into the back of the truck to lower it enough for me to slowly pull away.

The second was similar to above. I was backed into another underground area to an elevator. The guys backed me right into an overhead sprinkler valve that I promptly removed from the pipe.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Backing trailers is one reason she keeps me around. (hmm... country and western lyric?)

This summer I was driving down a narrow mountain dirt road hauling our horse trailer and came around a bend and met a rig coming up the road the other way; a huge pickup pulling an obscenely enormous 5th wheel RV trailer, behind which was another trailer with a super-sized ATV toy thing on it. These folks liked their stuff BIG. No room to pass, I put it in FWD and backed uphill a couple hundred yards to a wider spot and pulled over as close to the drop-off edge as I could. As they came up to pass by they stopped, thanked, and complimented me on my backing and asked if I could recommend a place to “camp”. Luckily, a couple miles up the road was a decent camp spot that I thought they could get into and get turned around without effing up their RV in the timber. (All their stuff looked brand new.) He said that to back up he unloads the ATV, disconnects and moves the pup trailer by hand. I can’t imagine heading off into the mountains on dirt roads and not knowing where you’re going in a rig like that.

As my grandmother neared 90, she refused to admit that she shouldn't be driving. Grandfather reported some close calls and wouldn't ride with her any more. One day he called my mother to come and take the car away - she had somehow managed to get it stuck sideways in their one-car garage.

Quote Originally Posted by peb View Post

I had a similar experience with a couple of women a few doors down from us, with a trailerload of crushed marble. After getting my head chewed off for having the chauvinist pig temerity to dare offer assistance after ten minutes of watching them fail to get the trailer between the gateposts and up the driveway, I'd be lying if I said there wasn't an element of malicious pleasure to be taken from watching them bust their asses barrowing the whole damn lot ten times further than they needed to.

Pete
    I have one troll on ignore

Not to say that many tractor trailer drivers are not skilled, but the longer the trailer's wheelbase, the easier it is to back. Having the mounting point directly over the wheels makes it easier as well.

@ the OP - I wish we could've seen what he was hitting when trying to drive forward & back. A curb maybe? At least the truck got washed...
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

When I worked as the permanent temporary park maintenance man at a county park one of the most entertaining duties was managing the 2 lane boat launching ramp. A guy pulled up with a nice runabout on his trailer and his pickup was plastered with 'merican flag decals. I had shoulder length and shoulder width hair at the time. When I walked up to remind him that his drain plug was out, before I even opened his mouth he started a rant about hippies working for the guvmint, etc., so I just told him to have a nice day and walked away. Having his boat sink in the ramp was priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    @ the OP - I wish we could've seen what he was hitting when trying to drive forward & back. A curb maybe? At least the truck got washed...
    The top of the box was hitting the concrete beams overhead. The truck was rearing-up not because of a curb but because the driver was REALLY trying to power his way out of the trap!
    What color are their hands now?

I can’t tell you how many people bought $10,000 bikes, and after their first ride drove home with them on the roof rack and drove straight in to the garage.

Usually, it just destroys the bikes, but if you do it right, you can wreck the bike, the rack, the car, and the garage and garage door!

ETA: and, yeah… the cats with $10,000 bikes always have nice ass cars, so it’s extra funny.

She had backed her car through her garage door and wanted to know if she should call her
    Was your answer “Yes”?

Jeff C

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    The top of the box was hitting the concrete beams overhead. The truck was rearing-up not because of a curb but because the driver was REALLY trying to power his way out of the trap!
    Got it - thx.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

kat took the garage door down in hell, twice