Thread: Has the “Colorado Hiker” been Bildged yet?

Default Has the “Colorado Hiker” been Bildged yet?

Colorado hiker who got lost on a trail ignored calls from search and rescue officials who tried to locate them for 24 hours because they didn't recognize the number that called them repeatedly, the New York Post reported.

In a Facebook post, Lake County Search and Rescue officials described the ordeal, which happened on Mount Elbert, Colorado's highest peak.

Officials said the hiker set out at 9 a.m. on October 18. By 8 p.m., they began searching for the hiker when someone reported that the hiker hadn't returned from the hike.

"Multiple attempts to contact the subject via their cell phone were unsuccessful," the Facebook post said.

Officials said a team of five set out at 11 p.m. to search for the missing hiker and stayed out until 3 a.m. on October 19. A team of three then picked up the search a few hours later, at 7 a.m., looking in areas where hikers typically get lost.

But by 9:30 a.m. the following day, the search was called off.

"At approximately 0930 the reporting party reported the subject had returned to their place of lodging. All personnel were out of the field by 1000," the Facebook post said.

Officials said the hiker "lost the trail around nightfall and spent the night searching for the trail, and once on the trail, bounced around onto different trails trying to locate the proper trailhead."

The missing hiker reached their car the next morning, 24 hours after they'd set out for the day hike. They had no idea that a search and rescue operation was underway because they had declined calls coming in from the officials.

"One notable take-away is that the subject ignored repeated phone calls from us because they didn't recognize the number," officials said. "If you're overdue according to your itinerary, and you start getting repeated calls from an unknown number, please answer the phone; it may be a SAR team trying to confirm you're safe!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LET’S GO, BIDEN!

Default Re: Has the “Colorado Hiker” been Bildged yet?

and SAR never thought to send a text?

Quote Originally Posted by Durnik View Post
    and SAR never thought to send a text?
    My thought exactly. Well, I'm glad the guy's OK, anyway.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

or leave a damn voicemail???

(naively assuming that the hiker had voicemail enabled and that the inbox wasn't already over capacity, as seems to be increasingly common)
    What color are their hands now?

^In addition to my phone being DND 24/7, voice mail is not set up as I fatigued of deleting the incessant 'the extended warranty on your 35 yr old beater is about to expire!' messages.. which is also why DND 24/7. Texts will (if the phone isn't as is common, silenced) bing - and I will read them - eventually.

as to the full inbox, I know folk who decided to stop fighting and just left the inbox full of 'but extended warranty!" messages.

an aside - google (well, android, but that's google) will not allow aps to answer the phone - so an onboard voice mail ap bypassing the 'set up for the low common denominator' carrier voice mail is not possible on android. So far as I know, that is the single place where iOs prevails - and it's not a deal breaker while faults of iOs are, sooo..

A handy app for the phone if you are lost or want to share your location that has no address etc is what three words:

what3words /// The simplest way to talk about location
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

So why didn't concerned family members with numbers the dufus would recognize try to call? Why didn't dufus call someone to say he was lost?

^ My first thought also.
    LET’S GO, BIDEN!

Quote Originally Posted by JayInOz View Post
    So why didn't concerned family members with numbers the dufus would recognize try to call? Why didn't dufus call someone to say he was lost?
    Maybe because the hiker was not, in fact, a dufus? And decided to rely on himself to solve the problem rather than involving SAR unneccessarily?

I had a similar incident, also in Colorado, where what I thought would be a 5-hour, 9-mile hike turned into a 30-hour, 40-mile hike because of a poorly drawn map with no scale, and an inherent bias against backtracking even after it became apparent things were not as they should have been.

Luckily that was before cell phones and aggressively enforced expectations to follow a rigid schedule had completely infected the world, and SAR never heard about it. I had a great time. Cold, tired, thirsty, and completely self-reliant (my hiking partners gave up and collapsed at a different trailhead--even the dog--leaving me to go another 10 miles to get the car and retrieve them).

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

How lost can you be if you have cell service anyway?
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

He had a phone and coverage, so he probably had a map and gnss location if he wanted. So not very lost.
    If he wanted to rely on himself, he is a dufus for making people worry and put themselves out because of his bad planning and communication.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjim View Post
    He had a phone and coverage, so he probably had a map and gnss location if he wanted. So not very lost.
    If he wanted to rely on himself, he is a dufus for making people worry and put themselves out because of his bad planning and communication.
    That's one way of seeing it, but it's not my way. He didn't "make" people worry. People have been taught to have unrealistic expectations about instant responses and constant connectivity.

The guy is out to enjoy a day in the mountains, on foot and on trails, and he's being criticized for not responding to phone calls, and for choosing to handle things for himself rather than calling on SAR when he became temporarily misplaced? (If this hasn't happened to you from time to time, your backcountry trips are very different from mine).

I say, good for him. Next time maybe leave the phone at home altogether, and don't say anything about your plans to those who might be inclined to worry unnecessarily.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Tom makes some really valid points. A missing person report can't be filed with the police until after 24 hours - but the authorities were notified on this in 11 hours. Why would he expect to be getting calls from SAR? How is he lost if he has cell service & maps? I know these have been mentioned, but blaming the hiker is nuts.

Of course one could also point out that this shows the danger caused by junk calls & texts.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Then, too--maybe the guy really is a moronic lummox who deserves our scorn. But the rush to see him that way, judging on the flimsiest connections brought by a media reporter who may have misunderstood the situation entirely (does the reporter know anything about backcountry travel) seems more than a little unwarranted.

I can all too easily see myself in this guy's shoes. Except, no... I wouldn't have had a phone with me. But I, and no one else, will be the one deciding when and if a "rescue" is warranted. In all my years of backcountry climbing, I've had two serious incidents involving significant injury to me or a partner (one rockfall, one climber fall).

Same partner each time, now that I think of it... Am I the bad influence, or is he?

Anyway, we simply handled it ourselves each time. One case (my rockfall injury) involved a 10-day "wait it out, ice the injury" period before hiking out on our own. The other involved my partner hobbling out on his own, sans pack, while I ferried both his pack and mine all the way back to the car, turning a rough 12-mile hike into a tedious (but oddly satisfying) 36-mile hike-return-hike again trip for me. No SAR, no phones, no Spot, no GPS. No problem.

There's way too little information to judge what's going on accurately here. Until then, I'll assume the guy is not a dufus. Or that he done learned something, perhaps. And I'll be happier that way.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

It wasn’t the fact of being lost that made this a thing—the real crisis centered around an impending car warranty expiration…

Jeff C

^ Hah! (-:

There's way too little information to judge what's going on accurately here.
    This appears more of societies "your body/life is ours, don't take chances (have fun) in ways that might deny us profit from your miserable existence" b.s.., so yes - I presume the guy is not a dufus.

My family/friends know that if I disappear hiking/canoing/sailing alone they are to raise a toast to my passing while engaged in my joy. So far - knock on wood - I've always made it back - to venture yet again! (& so far, those all seem happy I returned.. 0-: )

Yeah. Ya gotta be careful how much you're 'leaving', in the event of your unfortunate demise. Be nice to have your wake at least somewhat 'sorrowful', rather than cause of a raucous party, eh?
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

I'm suddenly glad that I'm to lazy to hike.
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

My questions, exactly
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Yeah. Ya gotta be careful how much you're 'leaving', in the event of your unfortunate demise. Be nice to have your wake at least somewhat 'sorrowful', rather than cause of a raucous party, eh?
    I'd rather have the party, I think. Hilarity mixed with fond remembrances and gentle mockery where earned. But not sorrowful.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Sounds like 'someone 'spun out to me, and a capable and competent guy solved some problems and looked after himself. If I was in a situation and conserving battery for when I needed it , I wouldn't be answering what I might be perceiving as spam calls either.

There’s nothing wrong with being lost, enjoying being lost even. I remember hearing someone say that in today's world it’s a privilege being lost. That said, if you leave an itinerary you have a responsibility to check in if you’re able. The people involved in SAR are admirable and it’s a dick move to risk their safety and use their time because you can’t be bothered to make a call.

Five years ago I did a 7 day backcountry mountaineering trip, off trial, following the mountian ridge separating Yellowstone and Shoshone. We didn’t bring a gps or have cell reception. Towards the end we weren’t sure exactly were we where. No big deal since we had plenty of food and were in good shape. We knew we’d get out since all the streams flowed into the Yellowstone River and from there it would be easy. We got back to the car at 4:30 pm instead of 10 am as planned. Instead of enjoying our way finding we were stressed that we were going to be declared overdue. I learned my lesson and I’ve given myself a few extra days on my declared itinerary so I can be lost without stress.

"Ain't never been lost. Been powerful confused for a month or two, but never been lost"

From some movie - maybe Jeremiah Johnson?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    ^ My first thought also.
    My first thought also. My second was why did the friend call search and rescue rather than the hiker.

I will admit that the parking lot I park at for my weekly hikes has a cell tower right across the road from it. And no reception in much of the small parking lot. Text messages on the trail are spotty.

I can understand the hikers actions as well as the searchers actions.
    Life is complex.