Thread: This thread has been editied for claritiy.

Default This thread has been editied for claritiy.

From another thread:
    if i Set my sight low Id be neutered coward that deleted my posts everyday.
    (sic)

Without regard to the subject or content of that other thread, is deleting posts everyday a bad thing? I've deleted lots of posts I've made. And some old threads, but only for the sake of the forum's bandwidth. I figure a lot that show's up in the Bilge is already ethereal, ephemeral. Some content here is golden and some is to be grateful for, even, but is any of it sacred? Foreignstance, if the first hundred pages of the daily cartoon thread, or even, say, the vintage sports and race car thread went missing, is that any cause for palpitations? Some of my own threads, heavy with photos, get gone because I decided it's time to save bandwidth at the photo-hosting site I use.

I see some long-term Bilge posters have post counts impossibly low and obviously not a true count? Are there bad reasons for that, and do the deleters deserve scorn?

Shirley? Anyone.

I don't remember deleting any posts for regretting the content. I try to do that before I hit the submit button... and possibly earn a seat at the picnic table in the campground. Shout out to Oznabrag.

To round off this bit of inanity, if the quoted line above was on my screen, I'd hope I'd've deleted it and moved on rather than submit.

Just sane.

My first computer based job was at the very beginning of the desktop publishing thing, and I talked my way into being one of five new hires, doing copy editing and publishing errands. Including writing actual paper letters to submitting authors, querying their updated manuscripts and etc. I actually sent one to an established author after signing it James Mahan, ediotrial assistant. Sometimes I still feel like an ediotrial assistant. It haunts me.
    Speak softly and carry a mouthful of marbles.

Default Re: This thread has been editied for claritiy.

Some people are just angry & feel the need to lash out. Most of us who have ever had a temper have figured out that people love to "poke the bear" & then sit back & watch. Others haven't quite figured that out yet.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I delete my Bilge threads every now and then. Once the conversation is over, what's the use of having it sitting out there in cyber space forever?
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan View Post
    I see some long-term Bilge posters have post counts impossibly low and obviously not a true count? Are there bad reasons for that, and do the deleters deserve scorn?
    I am an unapologetic post deleter. Many get deleted before posting, and many more after posting, sometimes long after posting. The Forum gives us to power to self-edit, and I use that option liberally, as many others should, but seldom do.

Scorn should fall on those who put up POS posts and leave them there for all to read forever. Many here are amazingly proud of the excrement they post.

Right now I'm thinking I should delete this post before I post it....

What the hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Z View Post
    All posts are precious.
    especially this one. Which will live on in eternal quotes...
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Goodness, haven't you got anything better to do with your time than sit around here and worry about your posts' existence?

Go build a boat, fercrissakes.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    I delete my Bilge threads every now and then. Once the conversation is over, what's the use of having it sitting out there in cyber space forever?
    Just because you delete it, it is not gone. It is still out there in cyber space forever. If the wrong people with the right tools want to see every post you ever put up, they can find it.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryLL View Post
    Just because you delete it, it is not gone. It is still out there in cyber space forever. If the wrong people with the right tools want to see every post you ever put up, they can find it.
    As even Bill Gates found...hoist with his own petard over the Netscape affair. Wonderful irony :-))

Sent from my MI MAX 3 using Tapatalk