Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesla Trolling Hugh

Default Re: Tesla Trolling Hugh

Quote Originally Posted by sonofswen View Post
    From a Model 3 owner in Aberdeen, Scotland:
    Things we like:
    The Tesla charging network in the U.K. is excellent although some stations on the busier motorways are becoming full and you may have to queue.

Charging at home on our Rolec charger is a breeze and covers 50% of our power needs.

If the Tesla is driven as a straightforward car with no driving aids it is the best car I have ever driven.

The cost of filling up is obviously much less than an ICE car.

The car is very comfortable on long journeys.

The sound system is very good.

Things we don’t like:
    My wife has banned me from using cruise control (TACC). TACC causes the car to brake for no good reason especially on anything other than a motorway, although even on a motorway, overtaking lorries can sometimes cause harsh braking if the lorry moves to an inside lane. Consequently we don’t use Autopilot either. Having my foot hovering over the accelerator to cancel phantom braking is more trouble than it is worth. I do appreciate that TACC is in beta but it has been for six years……

We get about 80% of any stated range driving normally on country roads at the speed limit. We can drive for two hours on a motorway at the speed limit before seeking a charge.

The indicators do not always self cancel.

The full beam auto dip headlights are useless.

The Sat Nav is poor, it is way behind Google maps or Tom Tom and has a real problem counting junctions at roundabouts.

The suspension is hard and that means being shaken to bits on poor roads. Don’t rest your head on the headrest…..

We have waited six months for a smart meter from Octopus Go and are still no nearer getting one.

Overall I still like our Tesla model 3 (just about), it is a shame the driving aids have been over sold because the base car is good. I would buy it again, mainly because the charging network is so much better than anything else in the U.K. but more chargers are needed at popular motorway sites.

I agree with his assessment 100%

Here is my detailed review of our week with a Model 3

This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

I also don't think I'd ever trust a product from a 'carnie' like Musk.

Nor one who attempts to use the Martin Niemöller call to honesty, integrity, and HUMANITY... as a disingenuous scare tactic to justify his own egregious tax-avoidance.

"Eventually, they run out of other people's money and then they come for you."
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    I also don't think I'd ever trust a product from a 'carnie' like Musk.

Nor one who attempts to use the Martin Niemöller call to honesty, integrity, and HUMANITY... as a disingenuous scare tactic to justify his own egregious tax-avoidance.

"Eventually, they run out of other people's money and then they come for you."
    David I will say the same thing I’ve said to Paul, have you test drove a Tesla yet ?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    David I will say the same thing I’ve said to Paul, have you test drove a Tesla yet ?
    I've answered that same question for you before. No. Why would I?

1. Not in the market for a sedan.

2. More interested in hybrids than EV's

3. I tend to buy & keep vehicles. So l.t. reliability is big for me. Which rules Tesla out on two counts. First - the many reports of iffy build quality. Second - it being new tech... I'm not inclined to be an 'early adopter', aka 'beta-tester'.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Also his infringement of several US labor laws and ongoing anti-union machinations. Mind you, I suppose he's no orphan like that.

Sent from my MI MAX 3 using Tapatalk

O, and I had a lot of Fords too, and I think the founder was a Nazi sympathizer..

Not a fan of the texas moving Abbot handshaking Libatarian Musk, sure do like the product.

Sorta like Frank Loyd Wright , a real AH, but...well, enough said.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofswen View Post
    WRONG
    Most Superchargers have a price ( depending on the county they are in ) of somwhere in the neighborhood of 30 cents per killowatt hour. A range of about 4 miles per kilowatthour is common.. Do the math. It's about $2 for 30 miles...and most people charge 80% at home for much less than 30 cents per. I pay 9 centsper kwh. About 75 cents to go 30 miles or about $7.50 for 300.

But fine, stay with your ICE, that's your choice.
    I am certain I posted a link. And 30 cents/KWH is over $9/gallon. At least according to the link. Our last trip cost less than the $2/30 miles you estimated for a Tesla.

I am certain that there are people who would charge mostly at home. I am not one of them.

A video driving comparison - Tesla and ICE showed up on my phone. 1000 mile trip. The Tesla took 2 hours longer. Not scientific. I would consider the cost of spending 2 extra hours of travel time as unpaid work time. And I get well paid. There are a number of economic issues that are often ignored.
    Life is complex.

How does the Tesla compare to the new Mustang?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    How does the Tesla compare to the new Mustang?

About like this

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    I am certain I posted a link. And 30 cents/KWH is over $9/gallon. At least according to the link. Our last trip cost less than the $2/30 miles you estimated for a Tesla.

I am certain that there are people who would charge mostly at home. I am not one of them.

A video driving comparison - Tesla and ICE showed up on my phone. 1000 mile trip. The Tesla took 2 hours longer. Not scientific. I would consider the cost of spending 2 extra hours of travel time as unpaid work time. And I get well paid. There are a number of economic issues that are often ignored.
    WRONG it was 1hr 32 min longer over a 1,000 mile trip if you commute to work a 1,000 miles you need to find a better job closer to home or make enough to have a private jet.

Our charging, 90% at home. Cost per kilowatt hour, 9 cents. Works out at about $7.50 for 300 miles. Rates, like everything else will probably go up. We still have 965 free Supercharger miles, 1000 came with the car. We hardly use it.

The Electic Vehicle Supply Equipment,EVSC, cost us $500. Since we live on less than $50K a year, our Electric Utility company paid us $500
    (EWEB offers a $500 rebate to help customers install a Level 2 charging station.)
    There are other incentives, differes from state to state.

If you are unhappy with your Tesla, sell it, you won't lose much $.

About like this

What was your impression driving the Mustang? (There is a six-month wait to get one now. A friend just got hers, and it seems to blow away everyone who drives it.)

What was your impression driving the Mustang? (There is a six-month wait to get one now. A friend just got hers, and it seems to blow away everyone who drives it.)
    A neighbor has one, he likes it. When I asked him about charging out in the wild he got a little miffed and admitted it is sometimes spotty finding a woking charger. Fun fact the MAIN REASON he bought it is because he hates Tesla.

A neighbor has one, he likes it. When I asked him about charging out in the wild he got a little miffed and admitted it is sometimes spotty finding a woking charger. Fun fact the MAIN REASON he bought it is because he hates Tesla.
    What's your driving impression?

Don't know there's none on Turo to rent. I'll let you know when one becomes available I'll be sure to make a video as well

Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 8.02.15 AM.jpg

A friend has owned a Tesla S for several years, and installed solar panels on the roof of her garage to keep it charged. That makes her cost for fuel zero. It only cost her about $150,000, and she saves about $50 a month in gasoline. Should break even in 250 years.

A friend has owned a Tesla S for several years, and installed solar panels on the roof of her garage to keep it charged. That makes her cost for fuel zero. It only cost her about $150,000, and she saves about $50 a month in gasoline. Should break even in 250 years.
    Hmm you sure you are calculating the full savings ??? Or did he JUST install the solar roof JUST to charge his Tesla ? Because you know he could also use it to lower or eliminate his household electric bill.

Also does he live in a 8,000 square foot mansion because The cost range of installing solar panels for a 2,500 sq. ft. home ranges from $18,000 to $55,000.

Yeah. Dan would appear to be 'making stuff up to fit an agenda'.

Shocked, I am!
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Hmm you sure you are calculating the full savings ??? Or did he JUST install the solar roof JUST to charge his Tesla ? Because you know he could also use it to lower or eliminate his household electric bill.

Also does he live in a 8,000 square foot mansion because The cost range of installing solar panels for a 2,500 sq. ft. home ranges from $18,000 to $55,000.
    The solar panels are on the roof of the garage, just used to charge the car. The total was the car plus the panels. FWIW, the garage is behind a house that is about 3,000 sq. feet, at the rear of the big house, which is maybe 5,000 sq. ft or so. She can afford the car.

Totally OFF TOPIC...but good for a laugh.

Replace the horn sound with a steam whistle and you've really got something there.

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Yeah. Dan would appear to be 'making stuff up to fit an agenda'.

Shocked, I am!
    What am I making up?, and what is the agenda?

Your numbers; and 'anyone's guess'.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Hey, anyone test driven the Ford Maverick pick up?

WRONG it was 1hr 32 min longer over a 1,000 mile trip if you commute to work a 1,000 miles you need to find a better job closer to home or make enough to have a private jet.
    Why would you think a video you posted was the video I was referencing?

I would consider the 2 hours of additional time to be unpaid work time much like you consider self checkout uncompensated work.

I think electric cars are a good idea. They are just not priced in a competitive fashion. At lest, not for my usage.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    Why would you think a video you posted was the video I was referencing?

I would consider the 2 hours of additional time to be unpaid work time much like you consider self checkout uncompensated work.

I think electric cars are a good idea. They are just not priced in a competitive fashion. At lest, not for my usage.
    OK so post that video. Mine clearly shows that over a 1,000 mile trip the Tesla was only 1 hr 32 min slower.
    In general everyday driving with home charging and a 350 mile range you will actually SAVE time by never having to sit at a gas pump.

BOOM Mind blown

38 minutes at a Supercharger to "fill" the "tank" to 300+ (I have only gotten 323 miles from a full charge, but I was Not driving 65...slightly higher, 72+,
    Was there range anxiety? YES

And stopping for a rest...? maybe because I can Not remember all the shows I saw at Filmore West, I need a rest every so often.

Well yaknow..... when yer retired, 'time is money' when you're lolligagging.....

This thread lost some posts. I suppose I am late to recognizing that but the whole point has been diluted. Hugh is gone from the record and so are a couple of my replies. I always miss all the action but happily, I'm still here to kvetch about it!
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Kvetch as kvetch can Lew. I’m rubbing a brisket to smoke tomorrow. This can be the Hugh Memorial Thread, he kvetched too far and lost his,, oh crap lost me metaphor, anyway he went overboard.

WTF???? Are you trying to apply reason in the Musk/Tesla thread? Wassamatterwidyou?" I suppose I read that before posting, hence the details on owning and opperating a Tesla. Mea Culpa

OH Damn
    I'm seriously sorry it was not my intent to get Hugh banned
    It was all in lighthearted fun. I never meant anything like this to happen. I actually like Hugh on most topics, and I know he has a trigger when it comes to Tesla.

Hugh if you're able to lurk, seriously I'm sorry man.

WTF???? Are you trying to apply reason in the Musk/Tesla thread? Wassamatterwidyou?" I suppose I read that before posting, hence the details on owning and opperating a Tesla. Mea Culpa

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    Mike,
    Despite Tesla’s domination of the electrification process and their leadership at every turn in the sector, Musk engages in the sale of vapor ware a good example being the autonomous package that everyone pays 10K for but no one gets as a full feature set…….and may never get. There are other examples of questionable ethics on the part of his companies.

But there’s no denying on my part in any case, that his company has also changed the landscape in positive ways nor any doubt that Tesla is the market leader. Regardless, he’s also a carnival barker so I think one is thrust into the position of having to separate the man and his accomplishments. Sort of like Henry Ford, the anti-Semite who helped make it possible for the rest of us to own cars.

Accomplishments and character are two different things.
    I missed this, agree totally!!!

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Your numbers; and 'anyone's guess'.
    A fully-equipped Tesla goes for $150,000 today. I don't know the cost five years ago of a solar-panel array, but I think it would be in the $5,000 range, although I don't think you could get installed that cheap. The more important numbers, however, were in the comprehensive analysis I posted previously of the cost of operation of an EV vs. an IC powered car. That is an important factor if the government is intending converting the 250 million or so vehicles on the road to electric power.