Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesla Trolling Hugh

Default Re: Tesla Trolling Hugh

Sorry I didn’t get in on this thread at the start… I would have had some choice words to say.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

And the stock keeps going.

Whooohoooo boy Weeeeeeee
    Attached Images Attached Images
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    Sorry I didnít get in on this thread at the startÖ I would have had some choice words to say.
    Iíve been looking for my cue as well. I guess all I needed was a full night of sleep to reset. So what is the topic? Tweaking Hugh, no thanks. The guy has too many issues.
    Anywho Musk/Space X/Tesla is a fun show of a billionaires phallic drive. Not too pleased with the light pollution from so many satellites.

My dream vehicle for plundering resources would be a 4whd hybrid pickup about the size of my Ď82 Nissan pickup. But shaped more like a Bollinger/Land Rover.

Listen since I started this thread it really wasn't all about trolling Hugh. I heard about the Hertz move and thought it was a bold move for both Hertz & Tesla but I knew if I posted anything Hugh would ..... well ..... ya know be Hugh.

Here's the deal Musk is definitely an odd character and definitely on the spectrum and a bit of his own worse enemy, but come on you got to give the guy some props. I mean Paypal, then parley that into a full fledge car company, then a complete countrywide infrastructure to support that car company. It's like Henry Ford not only brought the Ford Motor Company to market, he also owned all the gas stations. Then there is a solar & battery company, a Boring company to make high speed travel, OH OH and a highly profitable Spaceship company, A FREAKING SPACESHIP COMPANY !!!!! With aspirations to go to Mars.

I mean come on love him or hate him, showman, conman, mad scientist, kook, whatever the guy is our modern day Edison / Westinghouse / Ford / Wernher von Braun ( look him up ) All of those crazy genus’s had big horrible sides and lots of controversies and judged by todays society they could even be considered monsters, but damn it where would be without them. On the whole in comparison I think Musk is a doing more with far less baggage.

Hugh love him or hate him he IS TESLA, Space X, and whatever his little off kilter brain want's to build.

Right now Tesla seems like it was great thing to bring to market, a lot of people are happy. Except you

Speaking of big things the first prototype starship and booster are getting assembled for one big sacrificial launch and crash. The launch tower is getting it’s grabber arms installed and more tanks for the tank farm. Zoom, swoosh, boom, splash.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Yup, dudes building a gas plant in a wildlife refuge to “save the planet”!
    Yea and Ol Jew hating Henry developed the assembly line and the modern company slave and modern work week. Still makes some cool cars today, your point ?

I suspect that the gas vs electric cost comparisions would really take a beating here in the Pacific NW, where electricity is inexpensive compared to the rest of the country.

Out on Long Island in NY and other similar areas with high kiloWatt pricing, I could see electric cars cost more to run. Out here, not so much.
    Gerard>
    Langley, WA

Don't believe Republican lies.

Joe, truly an act of civic charity giving Hugh his own thread to shine.

pump and dump complete, if you didn't sell you didn't make money.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    I suspect that the gas vs electric cost comparisions would really take a beating here in the Pacific NW, where electricity is inexpensive compared to the rest of the country.

Out on Long Island in NY and other similar areas with high kiloWatt pricing, I could see electric cars cost more to run. Out here, not so much.
    There are huge regional differences in the prices of electricity and gasoline. The clip I posted takes these into consideration. I think the highest residential price for electricity is California, which has variable rates depending on the amount consumed. If this is applied to electric car ownership, the cost to charge skyrockets. Fundamental economics also apply. If the demand for gasoline drops, and the demand for electricity increases, the price for gas drops, and the price of electricity increases. This does not bode well for having the 200 million or so cars on the road today shift from gas to electricity. Might also note that the cool factor disappears if everybody is driving an EV. Tesla's success has been based on the market for high-priced, limited volume, exotic cars--which pits it agains the likes of Porsche. That's a self-liming market.

OK, already... I'll weigh in.

We can list dozens, maybe 100's, of entrepreneurial shining stars who combined the qualities of insight, brilliance, and determination, with the other qualities we're talking about: narcissism, megalomaniacal attitudes, self-promotion well beyond merit, and even misogyny, racism, authoritarianism, etc... we are ALL made up of the sum of our parts, and every single one of us has 'parts' that we ought not to be too proud of.

And so it is, with Elon Musk. He combined ALL of the aforementioned attributes and character defects, along with a giant helping handful of luck, to create Tesla, which most certainly is a phenomenon. He was willing to run through in excess of $5 BILLION dollars of investor's money to create the company, and the fact that it turns a 'profit' (barely, and certainly not justified by the investment alone) is a mark in his favor... as long as you count only the accomplishments, and ignore the rather despicable personal behavior.

Tesla has resulted in a revolution in automotive engineering, but it's not without fault (OR critics). Personally, after looking at countless reviews and the testimony of those who own Teslas and aren't blinded by the fanboi delusion, I think Teslas are not well engineered, at all... their merit, I think, is largely found in the fact that they were there first. Other corporations who weren't able to use the 'fanboi' phenomenon to attract cult-like dedication from the fans, but who actually were responsible to millions of existing shareholders and the requirement to defend their profit margins, couldn't take the same approach...

...but once they DO enter the market, they'll be in a vastly better position to compete, and Tesla's exclusivity will wane. There are no real technological barriers to building an electric car; the technology is well-understood, and bounded by it's component limitations (such as battery technology), although those limitations are beginning to fade rapidly. Tesla is in no better position to make batteries, electric motors, or any other component of an electric car, than anyone else.

Beyond the cars, Elon Musk is simply a very rich guy who is capable of indulging in his ego-building hobbies, like the incredibly dumb, vain, and useless exercises regarding space travel... and he's joined by his fellow narcissists (Bezos, Richard Branson).

Musk, like Edison, is a product of his own press coverage, and doesn't deserve the level of flattery that he engenders.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Well done Norman, you should add he like Gates he got a hand from a emerald mine in Zambia. Although you did leave out Space X, and all the other companies. Oh and the network of super chargers that crushes the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post

ford makes cool cars
    They do?
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Have you seen the new Maverick? So hot right now.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Tesla seems to be doing about as well as Chrysler was doing in the 1970s. Big runup in stock price. Prime contractor for the US space program. Built the launch vehicle that put the first man on the moon. Working on recoverable rockets. Launching turbined-powered cars. First generation robots on the assembly line. What could go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    Tesla seems to be doing about as well as Chrysler was doing in the 1970s. Big runup in stock price. Prime contractor for the US space program. Built the launch vehicle that put the first man on the moon. Working on recoverable rockets. Launching turbined-powered cars. First generation robots on the assembly line. What could go wrong?
    But the public didn't hate Lee Iaccoca.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    But the public didn't hate Lee Iaccoca.
    Henry Ford II did.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    Well for a start…….

FFED97C0-D1C9-47F8-9A06-999E83C7FEFE.jpg
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Oh so I guess my lure worked

So back to the OP. How can you not see this as a win/ win for both Tesla and Hertz ? Forget the massive buy from Hertz and the revenue for Tesla. This gives Hertz massive publicity and a fleet of EVís no other rental company has ( hell I could have gone to Hertz instead of Turo when I wanted to rent a Tesla ) Tesla gets people unfamiliar with their product a huge advantage towards new possible buyers.
    Ď
    NOW !!! The real reason why Hertz picked Tesla. Charging infrastructure, Tesla is just years and years ahead of any other manufacturers with their super charging network.

See this real world comparison.

Hereís a hint all other EVís FAIL in charging networks

Excellent real-world test.

My takeaways -

EV's are a little less 'power' expense over the distance. One would have to calculate a 'breakeven' to figure out when that catches up to the Initial Cost difference.

Tesla has a big headstart on the charging system & navigation. That still is obvious from the test. I'd expect that gap to shrink over time... at the same time charging stations in general will proliferate and improve.

Ranges quoted are one more example of Tesla's tendency to overstate things.

There's not attention given in this test to the whole issue of long term maintenance. I'd prefer not to purchase - or support in any way - a car firm that builds to a 'planned obsolescence' model. And I've seen several reputable reviewers say that all of the Teslas they've driven strike them as 'semi-disposable'.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie Boy View Post
    Dude! Maybe you need to take a Qaaalude or something.
    Best post in this thread

Vegas is not in my DNA

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    Why is Hugh is so bent out of shape about Tesla?
    He's not. It's true to template :-)

Sent from my MI MAX 3 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mitziel; 10-27-2021 at 06:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitziel View Post
    He's not. It's true to template :-)

Sent from my MI MAX 3 using Tapatalk
    Well, apparently that was the wrong question to ask. Abracadabra.......poof!

Pete
    I have one troll on ignore

It certainly appears his 'true wish' has been granted.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Only from what I've read, the EV's are less expensive than ICE car, overall cost. But not as good as it 'could' be. Locally, they get you at registration. Close to $1000/yr. to license, vs $100+/_, for ICE.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Only from what I've read, the EV's are less expensive than ICE car, overall cost. But not as good as it 'could' be. Locally, they get you at registration. Close to $1000/yr. to license, vs $100+/_, for ICE.
    Have to make up those fuel taxes.
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    Well, apparently that was the wrong question to ask. Abracadabra.......poof!

Pete
    My apologies to all for pushing it in replies to him. I see those are gone, which is just fine by me.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
    Have to make up those fuel taxes.
    Which aren’t sufficient to begin with to pay for the GD transportation infrastructure let alone encourage more efficient use of fuel and energy. Fed fuel tax hasn’t been adjusted for inflation in 28 effing years as though the cost of repairing roads and bridges is the same as it was 28 yrs ago.

It is politically impossible to adjust the fed fuel tax because 80% of America is too effing myopic to think beyond a tweet tik tok emoji message. We’ve had two decades to fix this idiocy and it won’t be touched.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    Please elaborate. I'm interested.
    How far back on the previous cars? Have had numerous Audi's, a couple of Porsches and everyting from Subaru's to Ford Vans. The Tesla drives better than anything...a combantion of reasons...one pedal driving puts it on top.
    The Tesla Model 3 AWD, Long Range,does not quite handle as well as the 2017 Audi TTS I had. That would be in extreme driving conditions..high speed turns.The Model 3 is capable, but it does weigh 1000Lbs.more! It is just fine on the twisties though and as far as acceleration, not the most important thing, it is faster..about 4.1 to 60. It's how if feels..smooth and planted. Extreemly comfortable, fantastic visibility and quiet. We charage at home 90% of the time, comes out to about $7.00 per 300 miles of travel..If I don't go 75 on the freeway, I can get about 330 miles per charge. Miles per charge is totally dependent on how you drive. On long trips the seats are the most comfortable of any previous vehicle I have had.
    We have only used the Supercharger twice, for a minimal amount. 1000 miles worth of charge came with the car, so I think we are saving it for an upcoming extended trip to Zion National Park, which has chargers on site.
    The build quality is not quite up to Porsche standards...gaps vary in some places...around 4 milemeters, maybe 3 1/2 generally. It has actually improved over the years. Was it the right move for us? Yes, we got down to one car and that works well. Yes, happy.
    At $51,390 out the door,,,not cheap but worth it to us.

From a Model 3 owner in Aberdeen, Scotland:
    Things we like:
    The Tesla charging network in the U.K. is excellent although some stations on the busier motorways are becoming full and you may have to queue.

Charging at home on our Rolec charger is a breeze and covers 50% of our power needs.

If the Tesla is driven as a straightforward car with no driving aids it is the best car I have ever driven.

The cost of filling up is obviously much less than an ICE car.

The car is very comfortable on long journeys.

The sound system is very good.

Things we don’t like:
    My wife has banned me from using cruise control (TACC). TACC causes the car to brake for no good reason especially on anything other than a motorway, although even on a motorway, overtaking lorries can sometimes cause harsh braking if the lorry moves to an inside lane. Consequently we don’t use Autopilot either. Having my foot hovering over the accelerator to cancel phantom braking is more trouble than it is worth. I do appreciate that TACC is in beta but it has been for six years……

We get about 80% of any stated range driving normally on country roads at the speed limit. We can drive for two hours on a motorway at the speed limit before seeking a charge.

The indicators do not always self cancel.

The full beam auto dip headlights are useless.

The Sat Nav is poor, it is way behind Google maps or Tom Tom and has a real problem counting junctions at roundabouts.

The suspension is hard and that means being shaken to bits on poor roads. Don’t rest your head on the headrest…..

We have waited six months for a smart meter from Octopus Go and are still no nearer getting one.

Overall I still like our Tesla model 3 (just about), it is a shame the driving aids have been over sold because the base car is good. I would buy it again, mainly because the charging network is so much better than anything else in the U.K. but more chargers are needed at popular motorway sites.

From a Model 3 owner in Aberdeen, Scotland:
    Things we like:
    The Tesla charging network in the U.K. is excellent although some stations on the busier motorways are becoming full and you may have to queue.

Charging at home on our Rolec charger is a breeze and covers 50% of our power needs.

If the Tesla is driven as a straightforward car with no driving aids it is the best car I have ever driven.

The cost of filling up is obviously much less than an ICE car.

The car is very comfortable on long journeys.

The sound system is very good.

Things we donít like:
    My wife has banned me from using cruise control (TACC). TACC causes the car to brake for no good reason especially on anything other than a motorway, although even on a motorway, overtaking lorries can sometimes cause harsh braking if the lorry moves to an inside lane. Consequently we donít use Autopilot either. Having my foot hovering over the accelerator to cancel phantom braking is more trouble than it is worth. I do appreciate that TACC is in beta but it has been for six yearsÖÖ

We get about 80% of any stated range driving normally on country roads at the speed limit. We can drive for two hours on a motorway at the speed limit before seeking a charge.

The indicators do not always self cancel.

The full beam auto dip headlights are useless.

The Sat Nav is poor, it is way behind Google maps or Tom Tom and has a real problem counting junctions at roundabouts.

The suspension is hard and that means being shaken to bits on poor roads. Donít rest your head on the headrestÖ..

We have waited six months for a smart meter from Octopus Go and are still no nearer getting one.

Overall I still like our Tesla model 3 (just about), it is a shame the driving aids have been over sold because the base car is good. I would buy it again, mainly because the charging network is so much better than anything else in the U.K. but more chargers are needed at popular motorway sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Sorry CA gas prices are north of $4.30 per gal regular.
    I posted a link that indicates that supper charger rates are equivalent to $9/gal.

But more importantly the list price is much more than I am willing to pay for a car. Too much of a long term investment loss.
    Life is complex.

You should get in on the BRKA after hours shenanigans if you want to win big.

I wonder how Tesla will do as EVs become more common place and lose their mystique. They've made an impression and defined a market, but can they hold onto it and stay nimble/avoid losing their competitive edge to stagnation or regulation?

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    I posted a link that indicates that supper charger rates are equivalent to $9/gal.

But more importantly the list price is much more than I am willing to pay for a car. Too much of a long term investment loss.
    WRONG
    Most Superchargers have a price ( depending on the county they are in ) of somwhere in the neighborhood of 30 cents per killowatt hour. A range of about 4 miles per kilowatthour is common.. Do the math. It's about $2 for 30 miles...and most people charge 80% at home for much less than 30 cents per. I pay 9 centsper kwh. About 75 cents to go 30 miles or about $7.50 for 300.

But fine, stay with your ICE, that's your choice.
    Last edited by sonofswen; 10-27-2021 at 06:29 PM.