Thread: Prostitution and drugs

Default Prostitution and drugs

I've never understood some of our laws.

It's okay for a man to take a woman out for dinner, go back to his place or her place and do the sex thing. It's illegal if he just pays for the sex part.

As long as we're dealing with two consenting adults, I don't see why it's a crime.

Our drug laws remind me of Prohibition. When booze was illegal, we had no control over the quality, and many died from drinking poison. We spent a lot of money trying to enforce laws, and the bad guys made a lot of money providing the public with what the public wanted.

Lots of gang violence, also.

Seems to me that if we made prostitution legal, we'd have some control, get some tax revenue, etc.

If we legalized the drugs, I suspect few who don't do drugs now would do drugs if they legal, but we'd not make the bad guys rich, we'd save the money we now spend on trying to enforce laws, and we'd make money by taxing the stuff. We could control the quality.

My son-in-law voiced the opinion that if pot were legal, 'EVERYONE WOULD BE USING IT." Booze is legal, and many don't drink. Smoking is legal, and many don't smoke. I do neither, nor does my wife.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

Default Re: Prostitution and drugs

I tried convincing my dad that if there were more pot smokers than alcohol drinkers the Vietnam War wouldn’t have happened. Didn’t get far with that argument.

Portugal legalised possesion of drugs and it did not cause the wave of problems that some forcast, in fact, reduced things Dealing is another matter.

As for prostitution in UK, paying for sex is OK, but soliciting by the woman is not. The pimp gets done for living off immoral earenings. Used to be that way when I lived there, but wonder if the police take much interest now, unless it is trafficking or under age.
    In France, it is legal AFAIK. For some years, there has been a camper parked in a lay-by on the La Rochelle road from here. Business hours only... Apparently a hooker trades in it, I am told by someone from the french class.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
    lay-by on
    so the uk has specified parking areas for which to get laid?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    so the uk has specified parking areas for which to get laid?
    France.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

I agree with John Smith.

Legalise and regulate.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    France.
    my mistake

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

"legalization" only comes with taxation

As usual simple solutions for serious problems can cause new problems.
    Sure you could legalize it all, in my country we have had very liberal drugs laws and prostitution is a legitimate business.
    But these legalisations also created new problems.
    What if the prostitution house has a staff shortage, would you agree with illegally imported woman who were lured into this business with false promises?
    Could you renew the permit for running a prostitution business if the owner uses woman in such a way or if he dodges the tax laws with the wages of these woman?
    Should the banks and insurance businesses accept these prostitution businesses although they know some woman are working against their will?
    And what about service innovation, offering new thrills etc. could you allow tax deductions for these innovations? etc. etc.
    The same applies to the drugs businesses.

Yes you could legalize these businesses but that doesn't solve some of the more principle problems, you really need a coherent strategy to make it successful.
    Last edited by dutchpp; 10-24-2021 at 10:31 AM.

It would be good if drug users felt less threat of arrest when they turned to someone for help. Pushing first their actions and then their lives underground doesn't benefit them or society.

As for prostitution, I still consider it a desperate act. People turn to drugs for the pleasure of it and only later suffer the price. The price of prostitution is paid up front and I have never heard of a woman turning to prostitution for the pleasure of it. It is demoralizing and debasing.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by dutchpp View Post
    Sure you could legalize it all, in my country we have had very liberal drugs laws and prostitution is a legitimate business.
    What if the prostitution house has a staff shortage, would you agree with illegally imported woman who were lured into this business with false promises?
    Could you renew the permit for running a prostitution business if the owner uses woman in such a way or if he dodges the tax laws with the wages of these woman?
    Should the banks and insurance businesses accept these prostitution businesses although they know some woman are working against their will?
    And what about service innovation, offering new thrills etc. could you allow tax deductions for these innovations? etc. etc.

Yes you could legalize these businesses but that doesn't solve some of the more principle problems, you really need a coherent strategy to make it successful.
    Agreed.

I think that the main problem in female prostitution is vicious, domineering, abusive men, both as customers and taking over the business.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wright View Post
    I think that the main problem in female prostitution is vicious, domineering, abusive men, both as customers and taking over the business.
    The main problem with prostitution is that women feel they have no choice to earn a living and survive other than to sell their bodies for the gratification of men. The type of men (vicious, domineering, abusive, whatever) is secondary. The industry is debasing and the men involved are just another brick in the wall. It does not begin or end with the pimp or even the john. It is the failure of a family to provide opportunity for their daughters, the failure of society to provide opportunity for the family, and the failure of all to get at the root cause of prostitution. (Hint: it is often things like drugs.)
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

#9.
    Legitamate business has een getting away with most of that forever. Abuse of labour, insurance and tax dodging and the use of women as the spoils of war and in the 'upper classes' as trade items and breeding cows is how some the businesses in any country have been making a profit forever. Countries have been invaded to stop them outlawing Opium and wars started over slavery, but for a long time they were considered legitimate business and much inherited wealth and privelige still had its base in those trades. The consequences are still with us.

Quote Originally Posted by dutchpp View Post

"consenting adults". Making them illegal doesn't make them go away. It costs money to enforce laws, and 'bad' people make money selling illegal things to the people who want them.

My point is simple; legal and regulated is better than illegal.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    It would be good if drug users felt less threat of arrest when they turned to someone for help. Pushing first their actions and then their lives underground doesn't benefit them or society.

As for prostitution, I still consider it a desperate act. People turn to drugs for the pleasure of it and only later suffer the price. The price of prostitution is paid up front and I have never heard of a woman turning to prostitution for the pleasure of it. It is demoralizing and debasing.
    Why would any woman even admit to it under our present laws?

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    Why would any woman even admit to it under our present laws?
    I never said they would. However, if all you do is legalize a desperate act without addressing the root causes, you will not get change.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    I never said they would. However, if all you do is legalize a desperate act without addressing the root causes, you will not get change.
    I expect it would change things. Continuing doing what continues to no work seems silly to me.

If it's legal, we have some control. We can also tax it. Bad guys don't get rich. Participants would have to be consenting adults.

Part of me thinks the whole 'sex' thing has been made 'dirty' by religious people.

California has legalized pot. Just this weekend I ran across a news article detailing how legal pot in California is having a difficult time competing against the illegal pot. Illegal grows still exist--they didn't fade away with legalization.

^ weed is not a drug though
    it just grows that way
    its natural
    and if you should happen to set it on fire. . .

[QUOTE=John Smith;6548463].

If it's legal, we have some control. We can also tax it. Bad guys don't get rich. QUOTE]

Bad guys get rich selling pillows, John.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Prostitution has been legal here for quite some time. The criminal element has pretty much disappeared from that scene, the women are much less at risk, as are their clients, there wasnt an explosion in the numbers of people involved when the laws changed, and all in all the whole thing has cleaned up.
    I wish we'd do that with drugs.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_law

Hilariously, prostitution and indeed striptease are illegal in most of East Asia, including Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and tte Philippines. But not in Taiwan, which is governed by grown ups.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    my mistake
    Germany
    Without friends none of this is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
    In France, it is legal AFAIK. For some years, there has been a camper parked in a lay-by on the La Rochelle road from here. Business hours only... Apparently a hooker trades in it, I am told by someone from the french class.
    Prostitution is legal in France. Streetwalking is not.

Prostitutes are licensed and inspected.

And, it is illegal for anyone other than the prostitute to derive any [financial] benefit from her work -- e.g., if her boyfriend was to move in to her apartment, he can go to jail, since he benefits from her plying her trade.

This, of course, intended for use against pimps.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_law

Hilariously, prostitution and indeed striptease are illegal in most of East Asia, including Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and tte Philippines. But not in Taiwan, which is governed by grown ups.
    And I'm sure the police and other authorities do very well out of that too.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    And I'm sure the police and other authorities do very well out of that too.
    Of that there is no doubt at all.

It might possibly be thought of as a way of easing the burden of Police and local government salaries on the taxpayer…
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Alcohol is a drug, and the country doesn't seem to have learned anything from prohibition.

A small example of "new" problems after legalization ( which can be solved of course), the Dutch banks much charge the coffeeshops ( the places were cannabis is sold) 1% extra for their corporate account. The additional costs of extra financial checks (to prevent money laundering) became too high.
    I'm afraid the article is in Dutch.
    https://www.nu.nl/economie/6164645/a...-rekening.html

Legitimate 'businessmen' and the banks make far too much money out of both for them ever seriously curtailed, or even seriously regulated.