Thread: Hard Wax Oils - where have you been all my life?

Default Hard Wax Oils - where have you been all my life?

I’ve been trying various oil and oil/polyurethane finishes throughout the rebuild of my H28 (in lieu of varnishes) mostly Deks Olje, Tung oil, Hardened Tung oil and Scandinavian oil.

But I recently came across Hardened Wax Oils which I’d not heard of before. The one that I’m trying and liking is Fiddes Hard Wax Oil in “Silk" finish. https://www.fiddesaustralia.com/product/hard-wax-oil/

I only bought a 125ml can to try it out but crikey, this stuff goes a long way. I’ve done all of my galley bench and still have a little left over. (Covering about 800mm x 1000mm)

This stuff is fantastic - so far.

In truth the proof will be in seeing how well it stands up over time but if it lives up to what it is purported to offer then I can’t really see myself going back to anything else for timber surface finishes. And that’s mostly what this rebuild is all about, teaching myself and learning what works and what doesn’t.

All of the oil finishes that I’ve been using so far take about four days to a week or more to get a final finish so it has made fabricating all of the interior furnishings so much slower. But the hard wax oil finishes can be completed in a day, requiring only two coats with the second coat applied after four hours.

I’ve actually ended up applying three coats on the galley benches because I found the second coat on the White Beach timber that I’m using still raised the grain again slightly but the third coat gave me a silky smooth and very tactile finish.

I have a rotating bookcase here that my wife gave me for my birthday years ago and I always love running my hand over the top of it because it has such a nice tactile finish and I’ve been trying very hard to emulate that finish on my cabinetry. I’ve come close with the oil finishes but this Hard Wax Oil has really nailed it.

I love it and I highly recommend trying it if you haven’t already!!

[IMG]IMG_2712 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Default Re: Hard Wax Oils - where have you been all my life?

That is a really nice finish on beech, which can be a bit tricky to get a gloss finish on. I have been struggling with that particular wood lately. I will give that wax a try. Thanks.

Wonder if that's the Australian equivalent of what we see as "Osmo" here in the US. Tough stuff, but I 've not tried it in places that need UV protection.
    https://osmocolorusa.com/
    The galley bits look fantastic, Greg!

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Wonder if that's the Australian equivalent of what we see as "Osmo" here in the US. Tough stuff, but I 've not tried it in places that need UV protection.
    Thanks Hugh, I’ll get some pics of the galley up on the H28 thread shortly.

Fiddes is a UK product and there’s another one available here that I looked at called Whittle Waxes which I gather is also a UK product. However I couldn’t get any responses from the Whittle waxes Australian distributor either to email or phone enquiries, whereas the Fiddes distributor was right onto it and very helpful. The products are probably very similar but customer support and attitude make a lot of difference to me.

Both products seem to be very strongly marketed as wooden flooring finishes, which in itself speaks volumes in regards durability.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    No, it isn't. They're very different products. Hard wax oils are much used by woodturners. Osmo.........I hate the stuff. It turns a nasty shade of stale urine and clogs up with dust, dirt and oils from your skin. I'm stripping it out of this house, bit by bit.

Synteko (a division of Akzo Nobel, maker of Awlgrip, International Paints, etc) makes industrial floor finishes, including a hardwax oil. At the suggestion of a local timber boat builder I used it on the cabin sole of my boat. After a couple of years it still looks like new, and like other oil finishes is easily renewed with a refresher coat. Nice matte/satin lustre.

Hmmmm... never heard of this stuff until I started reading this thread.

Seems there's two products widely available here in the US: OSMO (something I'm unlikely to try given MiS's comment) and Interbuild.

The latter you can find at Home Depot (US $100 but it's nearly twice the price of the same stuff, in the same volume (1 liter, a bit more than our more common quart size) as what you can buy off Amazon -

Interbuild.jpg

And here I've been thinking epoxy's expensive stuff....

I see that Fiddes is available in the US as well: https://fiddes-usa.com/shop/floor-fi.../hard-wax-oil/
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Larks, thank you for a most appropriate post, for me.
    I have a small upcoming "Beech" project myself, and this may be the ticket.
    They have clear in satin and matt. I need to contact them for a comparison.

Hugh Conway, I misread your post. UK came into my brain instead of AU.
    The UK SDS stated 50%.

Would the lesser "heavy Naphtha solvent" content have an overall effect on the final finish?

I’m not sure which MSDS Hugh is looking at for Australia but I don’t see heavy naphtha solvent mentioned at all in the Australian version of the MSDS that I have. But I’m also no chemist so is it perhaps recognised by another name?
    https://www.fiddesaustralia.com/wp-c...MSDS-JUL21.pdf
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

The MSDS shows hydrocarbons and alkanes, i.e. "heavy naptha".
    Differences in solvents seem to be the norm now for paints, varnishes, etc in different countries, presumably to meet local OSHA legislation - be sure to use the local MSDS.

Figuring I really missed something, I looked up the AU MSDS.
    The first thing I realized was it was revised July 9, 2021.
    Previous issues may have had higher VOC's?
    The VOC content is on page 6, section 9.2, Other Information.
    It appears the product is manufactured in Cardiff, UK.
    The UK and AU sheets seem identical.
    The USA MSDS (as most) puts in some wiggle room; 30%-60%.