Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: $21/hr at McDonalds?

Default Re: $21/hr at McDonalds?

I don't mind self checkouts if I have few items and they are all price pre-marked. Otherwise I will use the cashiers if I'm at Walmart which is getting rare these days. My wife hates self checkout and will not use them or even go to Walmart unless its something making that necessary. We have mostly changed to Food Lion because its much friendlier. Food Lion appears to be doing well enough to stay in business even if Walmart is just across the road. Shopped there today and got reasonable deals and better service especially in areas that Walmart does not serve. A couple other groceries are decent but about 25 miles away. Dollar devaluation is a big concern no matter where we shop.

Decreased buying power of a fixed income makes for changes in many shopping patterns.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    Using household income is what is misleading. The two-income family is common today, which distorts the rather dramatic decline in wages encountered by many in the recent generations of Americans. Industrial wages, in particular, have declined from roughly three times the minimum wage to something like minimum wage in many industries in the US. The hourly wage cited for McDonalds is higher than that for skilled trades in suppliers in today's US auto industry, as one example.
    It appears we are more in agreement than not.

I would like an individual to earn the median income of a household. Removing the need for 2 incomes.

I would like skilled workers to earn the median income of a household also.

You might be a bit high on the pay estimate of McDonalds employees. You assume 40 hour and 50 week work schedule. I can imagine much shorter hours to fill in the busy times. And not so much the slack times.

But I do not set policy for most businesses.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    So if self checkout do I earn $21 an hr ? Do I get a W2, benefits. I mean think of all the payroll they are saving I should at least get $21 off my bill right ??? Should I tip the supervisor when whatever I try to scan doesn't scan and they have to punch in the code that no one would know. How do you do fruits and vegetables ? Is there a code or is there a UPC code sticker do I have to weigh it. Where's my paycheck ?
    Walmart and other stores will do your shopping for free and deliver them to your car. You only need to tell them what you want and drive there.

I prefer to do a self checkout. And I don't ask for a pay check.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Domesticated_Mr. Know It All View Post

Try it! You might surprise yourself!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

oh!
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I luv self-checkouts - don't have to tell someone how my day has been or invent a busy social calendar for the weekend.

Sent from my MI MAX 3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mitziel View Post
    I luv self-checkouts - don't have to tell someone how my day has been or invent a busy social calendar for the weekend.

AKA Antisocial, anti first job, anti people getting back on their feet, anti more than 3 items, produce, or booze. Pro big corp cutting cost and not passing any of those savings to the consumer, wile making you an unpaid employee just so you dont have to say hello to a stranger. Got it
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Needed something at the store today - there was a line for the 6 self-checkout terminals and two cashiers with no lines.

DSE.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    Needed something at the store today - there was a line for the 6 self-checkout terminals and two cashiers with no lines.

DSE.
    I'll wait 6 months on line with one item waiting for a cashier, acting like self checkout was never invented

As an introvert, I at first approved of the self-checkout lanes. But that did not last long as my need to see that people are treated well took over. Unfortunately I cannot go to Lowes or Home Depot without being forced to use them as they rarely open the full service lanes except for the ones for contractors. I could use those, but the contractors are trying to make a buck too and time is money for them.

The closest wawa to me is trying self service kiosks. Seems nobody is biting yet as they cannot handle cigarette sales.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    As an introvert, I at first approved of the self-checkout lanes. But that did not last long as my need to see that people are treated well took over. Unfortunately I cannot go to Lowes or Home Depot without being forced to use them as they rarely open the full service lanes except for the ones for contractors. I could use those, but the contractors are trying to make a buck too and time is money for them.

The closest wawa to me is trying self service kiosks. Seems nobody is biting yet as they cannot handle cigarette sales.
    I know I'm tilting at windmills but I'm gonna go down swinging.

Default $21/hr at McDonalds?

AKA Antisocial, anti first job, anti people getting back on their feet, anti more than 3 items, produce, or booze. Pro big corp cutting cost and not passing any of those savings to the consumer, wile making you an unpaid employee just so you dont have to say hello to a stranger. Got it

So, Joe, do you have automated appointments on your company website? Hiring people to staff a call center? Or, do you relegate web visitors to an FAQ?

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    So, Joe, do you have automated appointments on your company website? Hiring people to staff a call center? Or, do you relegate web visitors to an FAQ?

Kevin

Uuuuug Keven we've done this one already

IMG_E0EAA9E51279-1.jpg

Every single online booking must be confirmed by myself, my admin or my booker.

This is our Monday

Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 10.12.16 PM.jpg

The reason we do this is because we are a MOBILE company so while there may be a date and time available for a groomer they may not be in anywhere near the online booking Appointment. So all online bookings must be approved if they actually fit in the schedule, most need to be moved to an appropriate date and time, contacted, moved and or rescheduled.
    Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 10-25-2021 at 12:27 AM.

Hi Joe, how's your day been? :-)

I can scan 30+ items a minute on a till (enough to easily beat the required minimum, and keep up with the fastest packers) for an entire shift. And manually enter barcodes, fix issues, check your age and de-tag restricted items way faster than you'll ever see it done on self-scan.

Plus, if you want humour and/or small talk, you can have it free and gratis.

Andy, just sayin'
    "In case of fire ring Fellside 75..."

This is just economics.

If you can't get enough people you have to pay more.
    As you have to pay more you look for ways to use fewer people even if you have to spend some capital to be able to do it.

Nothing to see here

The reason we do this is because we are a MOBILE company so while there may be a date and time available for a groomer they may not be in anywhere near the online booking Appointment. So all online bookings must be approved if they actually fit in the schedule, most need to be moved to an appropriate date and time, contacted, moved and or rescheduled.
    So, there is an opportunity to staff a 24-7-365 call center with real people. You just choose not to. Got it!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Sign at the supermarket yesterday: $16.50 for cashiers.

Kevin

Both of us worked our way through college working union jobs at a grocery store. It's almost impossible to do that now due to lack of well paying union jobs and stratospheric college costs. I won't use self checkout on principle. I'm a proud neo-Luddite.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post

Art, I work at one of the above-mentioned 'big-box' stores - in a different geographical area, of course. We always have 2 or 3 live, actual cashiers working, as well as the self service machines ( it appears the self service machines are not yet quite adept at dealing with such things as asking ' how MANY feet of that cut wire did you purchase ? )

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by woodpile View Post
    Supply and demand at work, shows you DON'T need government minimum wage mandates.
    Government regs can speed up the process.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    It appears we are more in agreement than not.

I would like an individual to earn the median income of a household. Removing the need for 2 incomes.

I would like skilled workers to earn the median income of a household also.

You might be a bit high on the pay estimate of McDonalds employees. You assume 40 hour and 50 week work schedule. I can imagine much shorter hours to fill in the busy times. And not so much the slack times.

But I do not set policy for most businesses.
    I've often thought we should revisit the 40 hour full time work week. Food places have peak hours. Many stores are open 12 or 13 hours a day. 8 hour employees don't fit well into those scenarios.

Just as I believe K-12 needs to be updated in education, I believe the 40 hour full time week needs to be updated.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    Government regs can speed up the process.
    Yup

Photos: What working life looked like for kids on the first Labor Day

Lewis Hine’s photography helped end child labor

The American labor movement was in full swing by the time Labor Day became a federal holiday in 1896. Support for the eight-hour workday was growing and unions were gaining political clout. Yet hiring children was still an easy choice for employers. Youngsters worked for a fraction of what their parents earned and were less likely to strike. Between 1890 and 1910, the number of American kids pulling wages jumped from 1.5 to 2 million.
    It was around this time that documentary photographer Lewis Hine began investigating the lives of working children. Using a series of disguises—fire inspector and bible salesman among them—Hine photographed working conditions in coal mines, cotton mills, fisheries and on city streets, where he encountered kids employed as “newsies” and “bootblacks”.

https://timeline.com/photos-what-wor...y-bbdf53b10a25

I'll wait 6 months on line with one item waiting for a cashier, acting like self checkout was never invented
    I actually like having someone check out my stuff.

Kevin

I have a theory about automated answering systems. If I call my doctor, I get an automatic answering menu. If my pharmacist calls the doctor, he gets an automatic answering system. If my doctor calls my pharmacy, there's an automatic answering system.

In the aggregate, is this saving time or costing time?

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    I actually like having someone check out my stuff.
    So do I. I enjoy the chit chat and human interaction. I can't tell you how many times I've learned something from a cashier.

Not only that, Joe, but there are customers out there whose only human-human interaction in a day is with a cashier.

Andy
    "In case of fire ring Fellside 75..."

Back to the OP

How come it's ALWAYS:

"If you can't pay your bills, get a better job".

But NEVER

"If you can't find workers, pay a better salary" ?

I pick the shortest line. I don’t go shopping to make friends or have a conversation.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    I pick the shortest line. I don’t go shopping to make friends or have a conversation.
    I'm not in that much of a rush. Also I tend to buy booze and things like garlic, tomatoes, and bulk bag things that can't be self checked out.
    Besides all I ever see at self checkout is people confused and needing a manager to assist. I can't tell you how many times I see a couple of people waiting at a self checkout for a manager to help them while I'm getting checked out having a chat and bagged, paid and out the door while the manager is still trying to help someone at self checkout. I usually have a good chuckle with the Live cashier.

I'm not in that much of a rush. Also I tend to buy booze and things like garlic, tomatoes, and bulk bag things that can't be self checked out.
    Besides all I ever see at self checkout is people confused and needing a manager to assist. I can't tell you how many times I see a couple of people waiting at a self checkout for a manager to help them while I'm getting checked out having a chat and bagged, paid and out the door while the manager is still trying to help someone at self checkout. I usually have a good chuckle with the Live cashier.

Here, self check can accommodate bulk, produce, etc.Not sure about booze. Cali will probably catch up some day.

As for confused people...sure. That problem is confused people, not the self check equipment.

I have had plenty of: price checks, waiting for change, we are on a shift change, I need the manager key, my register is out of receipt tape, the credit card machine is down and more delays and problems, at the in-person cashier.

Kevin

Here, self check can accommodate bulk, produce, etc.Not sure about booze. Cali will probably catch up some day.

As for confused people...sure. That problem is confused people, not the self check equipment.

I have had plenty of: price checks, waiting for change, we are on a shift change, I need the manager key, my register is out of receipt tape, the credit card machine is down and more delays and problems, at the in-person cashier.

Kevin
    You cannot buy age verified products of any kind at self check, here.

Every self check Iíve seen has a scale to weigh bulk, and the code is as easy to find as a YouTube video.

Of course, Iím not so precious that I need waiting on, and I donít like talking to people, so there you go.

Kevin
    I'm still not in that much of a rush.
    I'm also the guy that lets you merge, opens doors for people, and says hi. Life is short, enjoy the ride no need to rush.

Default $21/hr at McDonalds?

I'm also the guy that lets you merge ( snip).

Does a guy on a scooter have any other choice?

Kevin

lmfao
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.