Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: $21/hr at McDonalds?

Default $21/hr at McDonalds?

McDonalds offering of $21/hr. Wow that changes things a bit for some burger flippers. I will be willing to pay more if the increase actually goes to the workers so they can live better.

Default Re: $21/hr at McDonalds?

Most McDonalds are franchised.

As Hugh said, most McDonalds is a franchise, as are the vast majority of fast food chains. Kind of interested to see how many small restaurants survive the labor shift that's coming. Small businesses in general are going to have a problem. It might be alleviated a bit if we actually enforced our anti-trust laws, though I expect snow storms in the Sahara before that happens.

A study was done in 2016 about McDonald's pay. A meal that sold for $7.19, if pay was raised to $12 an hour, would have to sell for $7.23. Of course, if other businesses raised pay, more of these meals would be sold, and the price would not have to be raised.

Similar study was done on Walmart, and it showed a $12 wage would require a penny added to each item sold, but, again, if all wages in the area went up, they'd sell more items, and the penny increase might not be needed.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

I went to grab dinner tonight at "Bojangles" (fried chicken) - the store closest to me had a sign that the dining room was closed, only drive-thru available . That line was backed up so I went to the next closest (7 miles down the highway). Drive-thru only again, and when I got to the window, the crewmember told me they were running the store with only three people.

My local ski resort is hiring ski lift operators for the winter. Offering $15/hr plus perks like free skiing. I don't think that will be enough to get someone to stand out in the freezing cold all day. I just hope they can hire enough to run the lifts.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Many small businesses here are viable only because of underpayment and dodging the employment laws, or they are run by essentially unpaid family members.
    Interestingly here also office workers who have had a taste of working on-line from home, or the caravan, or in a case I know a youth hostel are resigning if the employer insists. It has become a problem for the employer the numbers are so high. No 3 hour commute in traffic and being able to walk the kids to school has it's attractions.

Yesterday an ad was up for a dishwasher @ $50,000 a year. The position has been filled. Top story in these parts.
    basil

My lowest paid W2 employee makes $20 per hr. My highest paid independent contractor makes $80,000

Pay your people well and they will treat your customers well and be loyal without resentment. I have the highest retention rate of anyone in this industry.

People are starting to realize slave labor is over. I remember bartending and making $2.80 per hr because they calculated a minimum of 15% tips to make up the difference in the minimum wage. Then they started taxing your cash tips based upon the covers you served. Thats when I started putting in the computer duces when it was a four tops, dropping my PPA (per person average ) like a stone
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

$21 an hour is now the minimum wage for the company I work for.

Of course $21 means different things depending on where you live.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

As a stage Electrician, I am one of the highest paid in the country. Only my Union Brothers in NYC (local 1) and Chicago (local 2) make more money than I do. in the case of 1, they make a lot more money than I do. Yes, even Hollywood pays less than I make.

Personally, I am glad that the age of Slave Labour appears to be ending. That is one of the few good things to come out of this Pandemic. I did notice that one of the Local Wawas (Convenience store to those out of the area) is trying out self service kiosks. That is a bad move.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Many of the airport shops have installed self serve stations.
    At each one, there is an employee showing customers how to use it!

Really.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

$21 an hour for flipping burgers will result in automation. The chip shortage may temporarily slow the transition, but it’s coming.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

^ the actual flipping part of burger flipping has long been automated
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I am not sure that $21/hr is sufficient for those who want to pay off college debt. Or pay for medical care. Or save for retirement.

At least not according to those who complain about how difficult life is for those who make much more.

The problem is not that minimum wage is a starting wage, but that it is a terminal wage for many.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    I am not sure that $21/hr is sufficient for those who want to pay off college debt. Or pay for medical care. Or save for retirement.

At least not according to those who complain about how difficult life is for those who make much more.

The problem is not that minimum wage is a starting wage, but that it is a terminal wage for many.

All part of the walmatization of America. First you destroy the middle class, then you make a large part of the country an "at will" state, then you get a giant like Walmart to come in, sell cheap crap at cut rate prices and kill all the mom and pop stores that actually paid a decent wage, and then all you have left is minimum wage jobs and people working several of them just to get by.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    $21 an hour for flipping burgers will result in automation. The chip shortage may temporarily slow the transition, but it’s coming.
    Automated food service dates back to 1895.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    after a continuous 7 years of hiring my local McDonald’s is finally renovating to automate away a few jobs. But, you know, aviation as a career path ended when flight engineers were automated away

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    Automated food service dates back to 1895.
    yeah, it’s been pointed out that automats were the restaurant of the future, and then they all went away.

Worth considering that $21 an hour is the medium income in the U.S.

So if self checkout do I earn $21 an hr ? Do I get a W2, benefits. I mean think of all the payroll they are saving I should at least get $21 off my bill right ??? Should I tip the supervisor when whatever I try to scan doesn't scan and they have to punch in the code that no one would know. How do you do fruits and vegetables ? Is there a code or is there a UPC code sticker do I have to weigh it. Where's my paycheck ?

fart

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    fart
    Thats exactly the sound that the Self Checkouts make at my Sprouts because NO ONE USES THEM. My local Spouts made a total flop installing them. I couldn't be happier.

folks will start using the self checkout when they cut the live cashiers down to one at rush hour

Cool Re: $21/hr at McDonalds?

Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

how to make joe foster's head explode

I remember going to Horn and Hardarts automat. They DID employ people as cooks, who would replenish food as people purchased. They also had a person to make change. They had no servers and no cashier.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    So if self checkout do I earn $21 an hr ? Do I get a W2, benefits. I mean think of all the payroll they are saving I should at least get $21 off my bill right ??? Should I tip the supervisor when whatever I try to scan doesn't scan and they have to punch in the code that no one would know. How do you do fruits and vegetables ? Is there a code or is there a UPC code sticker do I have to weigh it. Where's my paycheck ?

That's my take. If you want me to check myself out, you'd better cut the prices for self-checkout. Or pay me union scale for a cashier.

Self-checkout is slower than going through a human cashier... and it invariably requires the assistance of the cashier supervising the self-checkout pen... which slows everybody else down because now they've got to wait for help when they need it.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

not invariably slower

if i'm man shopping and have gone in for say three items - beer, hot dog, and buns (hon) - then i'll aim for self check out all day long and twice on tuesday. . .

According to Maher's first guest last night, restaurant chains have raised wages significantly in some states, and have not had to raise prices.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandlapper View Post
    McDonalds offering of $21/hr. Wow that changes things a bit for some burger flippers. I will be willing to pay more if the increase actually goes to the workers so they can live better.
    Supply and demand at work, shows you DON'T need government minimum wage mandates.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    Worth considering that $21 an hour is the medium income in the U.S.
    That is misleading. https://www.statista.com/statistics/...states-by-age/ has reasonable estimates for household median income. Household income being a better representation than individual income. (I dislike the use of terms without the important adjectives.)

And, yes, the definition of income is also wrong. One needs some sort of adjustment to include unrealized gains from wealth. https://www.lexingtonlaw.com/blog/fi...th-by-age.html

My wife and I would be able to live and even save if one of us earned $21/hour for 2000 hours/year. But we have enough wealth to provide for the unexpected. And we have a different set of expenses than those who are younger.

Economics is really hard and statistics that group people together are usually misleading. Often due to lack of data.
    Life is complex.

That is misleading.
    project much? or ironical post of the day?

That is misleading. https://www.statista.com/statistics/...states-by-age/ has reasonable estimates for household median income. Household income being a better representation than individual income. (I dislike the use of terms without the important adjectives.)
    .html[/url]

My wife and I would be able to live and even save if one of us earned $21/hour for 2000 hours/year. But we have enough wealth to provide for the unexpected. And we have a different set of expenses than those who are younger.

Economics is really hard and statistics that group people together are usually misleading. Often due to lack of data.
    Using household income is what is misleading. The two-income family is common today, which distorts the rather dramatic decline in wages encountered by many in the recent generations of Americans. Industrial wages, in particular, have declined from roughly three times the minimum wage to something like minimum wage in many industries in the US. The hourly wage cited for McDonalds is higher than that for skilled trades in suppliers in today's US auto industry, as one example.