Thread: An Ilur near Canberra

Default An Ilur near Canberra

Hello fellow boat builders,

After 11 months, Matt and I have finally finished building our Ilur. It has been an epic journey and we are both very grateful to the forum for all its information and advice. Special mentions to John Hartmann, David Ladd, Neil Henderson, Chris Harlan and Wayne Timmo for their responsiveness to our sometimes inane questions and ideas. I also want to recognise the support provided by Francois Vivier, the boats designer and Tony O'Conner in Western Australia who provided the kit. The build took 344 days from the delivery of the marine ply kit until her first sail on 17 October 2021.

Having "finished" the boat last Saturday - there is still a few things to tidy up - we put her out on Lake Burley Griffin in Canberra, Australia's Capital City. Luckily the completion of the boat coincided with the lifting of COVID 19 restrictions.

Here are some photos and a video of our first sail. In time I hope to add a few details of the build.

Bow view.jpg
    Port side.jpegStarboard reach.jpgFrom the front.jpegStarboard side.jpeg

https://youtu.be/CYsO8sYtLLc

Default Re: An Ilur near Canberra

And very nicely done too.
    Congrats to you both - she looks terrific.
    PeterW

Nice! I quite like the color/varnish scheme, understated and very appealing. Thats a quick build for someone who has other stuff to do as well, did you have a self-induced deadline for launch? Or, if not, how did you manage? Looking forward to build notes and sailing reports!...
    Brian

Nice!
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsbgood View Post
    Nice! I quite like the color/varnish scheme, understated and very appealing. Thats a quick build for someone who has other stuff to do as well, did you have a self-induced deadline for launch? Or, if not, how did you manage? Looking forward to build notes and sailing reports!...
    Brian
    Thanks Brian.
    It took quite a bit of trial to figure out what the stain recipe was. We used a local brand called Feast and Watson and trialled a number of different stains - see attached photo of the colour board we made up. We still couldn't achieve what we were after and then layered and mixed them to achieve the colour we were after. In the end the ratios were:

- For gunwale, sheerstrake and stem: two coats of Maple and two coats of Jarrah
    - For the sole and spars: four coats of Maple

The hull colour is called "Cape Blue"

As to your second question, you are correct there was an external driver for the time line. When we ordered the kit from Tony in October 2020, we were planning on a two to three year build. At the beginning of April this year, somewhere around plank 3 (see images), I found out I was moving overseas at the end of the year. We then had to face a decision point of leaving it all for Matt to do, trying to sell it on Gumtree, use it for a very expensive bonfire, find another builder to help Matt, or power through it and get the build done as soon as we could. Clearly as I am sure most on the forum would agree, there was only one option. Get the build done. Now normally this is a big ask for any two blokes that had never built even built a bread board from wood, let alone a boat. All was going swimmingly as Matt was between jobs and I took a spot of extended leave from my employer. We literally powered through April and achieved the "whiskey plank" (see image) on 27th April. We have every confidence we would be done and dusted in no time. Then COVID restrictions were set in place in July....but that is another story.

Colour board.jpeg3rd plank (top).jpeg3rd plank (side).jpegWhiskey plank.jpeg
    Last edited by Maso; 10-22-2021 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Exchange image and included additional text.

I thought I would do a quick comparison between Francois' plan and what we have built. Luckily one of our support crew who took photos of our sea trial snapped an excellent side profile of our boat, that I can place in a side by side comparison with an image from Francois' plan. Noting I haven't got the trim on the sail right (winds had dropped substantially and I should have eased the tack downhaul), the rest of the dimensions look pretty fair to my novice eye.

Attachment 97953
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Maso; 10-22-2021 at 05:37 AM. Reason: Fix spelling error

We are hoping to christen the boat next week, and as Matt is superstitious we don't yet use her name, but you can all have a sneak preview.

transom view.jpg

Lovely work - well done indeed!!
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Hi Maso,
    Well done & congratulations to all on the wonderful result of all that work!!! Your boat looks just the part and will be a delight on Lake BG. I should bring my Gannet up to Canberra one day & we could sail Gannet vs Ilur :-)
    IMG_0228.JPG

If you're interested a group of us are launching a group of boats at Narooma on 20th November as an attempt to mark the @Boats Afloat@ that has been cancelled this year - you're welcome to join us.

Happy sailing. Regards Neil

Hi Neil,

would be great to have you up here on LBG! More importantly I am very keen to get to Narooma if I can that weekend. Please send me the details to my email which I will send to you separately. Narooma should be a hoot, but is also my last weekend in Australia for the foreseeable future, so will see how I go.

What a great build Maso, and it record time. I still have lots to do yet, but I have a long winter ahead to work on it.

Grant,
    Vagabond is a thing of great beauty and function. You and Matt should be very proud of her and thanks also for the greater volume of advice flowing back this way from you two on matters of rigging!

I'd like to think we've all got better boats because of the knowledge shared around here.

Great to see her on the water and I'd love to see her next to Neil's Gannet if that ever eventuates.

Wayne

She looks beautiful. Looking forward to seeing her out on the lake.

Well done indeed Maso!
    Sorry I missed your reply to my earlier queries, thank you, and well done on getting the wee ship together when life changed schedule!!
    Sail lots of happy miles...
    Brian