Thread: What finish for future sailorís crib?

Default What finish for future sailorís crib?

Iím building a crib in birch for a new grandchild.
    What clear finish should I use?

Default Re: What finish for future sailorís crib?

Sand to 500 grit, then wipe down with dewaxed shellac sanding sealer. Buff it glossy with 000 steel wool. Done.
    Last edited by TerryLL; 10-21-2021 at 10:16 PM.

It may be unsophisticated as all get out, but I've had awfully good luck with the satin version of Minwax Wipe-on Poly (tall rectangular quart can, maybe $14 or so these days). It usually takes about four coats, wiped on with a soft cloth. Application is dead simple and usually drip-free with no skill involved and the resulting finish looks oiled, but is sealed and pretty tough. So far, I've never found anything with the stuff that I could complain about.

cabinet.jpg

I don't believe that toxicity is an issue with any normal finish after a thirty day cure. So that means you can use what you like.

Jeff

I made a wooden version of the Fisher Price toy when my niece was born 9 years ago. I used shellac I made using super blonde flakes and 94% Polish Spiritus vodka. Iíve read that shellac is FDA approved as a coating for pills. Total over kill. Denatured alcohol would have been just as safe. Homemade shellac is far more durable than premixed and easily repairable.

E6BD9D88-65CA-4A24-B966-E1EC256F9FD1.jpg
    I have done research since and most available finishes are safe for use on toys when fully cured. I wouldnít personally use oil based finish in crib because of how long they off gas. Iíve made cabinets with poly finish that you could smell every time you open the door for months.

Shellac. Anything that kids are going to put their mouths on should be finished with nothing else.

Your M&M candies are coated with shellac...hence the "no chocolate mess".

I know better than to discuss finishes, there's always someone who'll try to derail the discussion into something else than what you intended.
    And it's sometimes different between regions/countries, eg the BLO I buy is actually heated or "boiled", but I doubt "real" BLO is easy to get by in the USA, instead it's raw linseed oil with some heavy metals added to get similar properties as "real" BLO.
    So if I say BLO is safe, it just means the BLO I use is safe.

I'd make sure that whatever finish I'd use is food safe, both for cribs and toys, and possibly furniture (I know I used to chew off and eat the finish off of most of my parents furniture when I was a toddler).

But read up on it yourself, don't trust random people on an internet forum!

/Mats

Diagnosed with autism. Sorry, not much I can do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by mohsart View Post
    I know better than to discuss finishes, there's always someone who'll try to derail the discussion into something else than what you intended.
    And it's sometimes different between regions/countries, eg the BLO I buy is actually heated or "boiled", but I doubt "real" BLO is easy to get by in the USA, instead it's raw linseed oil with some heavy metals added to get similar properties as "real" BLO.
    So if I say BLO is safe, it just means the BLO I use is safe.

I'd make sure that whatever finish I'd use is food safe, both for cribs and toys, and possibly furniture (I know I used to chew off and eat the finish off of most of my parents furniture when I was a toddler).

But read up on it yourself, don't trust random people on an internet forum!

/Mats

In the U.S. linseed oil that is heated in a vacuum is called polymerized linseed oil and most is non toxic. BLO is always toxic and contains heavy metals.

Shellac made with denatured alcohol is food contact safe and that made with food grade ethanol is edible according to the FDA.

Doing some research would be smart. I have the safety guide for independent toy manufacturers and itís been incredibly helpful. If I can find it I will post.

Have you considered keeping it untreated?
    If you don't use poisonous woods surely that would be the safest option

/Mats

Diagnosed with autism. Sorry, not much I can do about it.