Thread: Amish Rob, a question or two on a 'Saneagle' 14" tire, single speed folding bicycle

Default Amish Rob, a question or two on a 'Saneagle' 14" tire, single speed folding bicycle

Rob, I was gifted this bicycle with zero miles - the front brake is a conventional caliper and seems to function (pivot needs to be cleaned / lubed). The rear brake is puzzling, it is cable activated - but almost looks like an external brake band - it is either mal-adjusted or the control cable may be frozen. My neighbor had it in a garage for at least 5 year and it never saw light of day. Can you recommend a list of maintenance actions to get it road-worthy ? ( the 14 x 1.75 tires have no air in them - and I do not know the status of the tubes.)

Thanks,

Rick

Default Re: Amish Rob, a question or two on a 'Saneagle' 14" tire, single speed folding bicy

Not Rob, but I was a bike mechanic (like you ever really stop being one) for a few years.

First, check the pivot mechanism and hardware for proper assembly. If this was a direct buy item from China, assembly can be very interesting at times.

Then replace the tubes, check the tires for dry rot and cracking, lube the cables,check the headset for tightness, check the front brake pad alignment and make sure it works and go riding. If you plan on putting a bunch of miles on, then you should take it all apart and regrease all bearings.

I couldnít find any photos of the rear brake on your bike. Is it a friction band like on old go karts and mini bikes?

Default Re: Amish Rob, a question or two on a 'Saneagle' 14" tire, single speed folding bicy

Dos, thanks for the response - yup, it kinda looks like an old go-kart brake assembly.
    *** Do you have a 'favorite' cable lube ? **!*

Rick

If it’s a cable that you don’t want to pull out of the housing, use tri-flow or any spray lubricant really. WD-40 works great to clean out the housings but not to lubricate. They make tools to help inject the lube in that work really well.

here’s a link to the tool:

Motion Pro 08-0182 Cable Luber https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012TYX9W...ing=UTF8&psc=1

If your pulling the cable, then I put some white lithium grease on my fingers or a rag and pull the cable through that and stuff it back through the housing.

Yeah.

All that! Hahaha. And, especially the fact that the original assembly may have been questionable, and need adjustment.

No idear about the brake. Iíve never seen one like that on a bike.

Thanks for the response, Rob - It was a new one for me, too - had not seen anything like it . .

Found it, I think (rear brake assembly) --- Amazon shows an 'Alvey Tech 80 MM rear band brake assembly - it seems similar.

Rick

Okay, thatís cool. I imagine that band could use an inspection? Live that cam and spring well, too.

A further question for Rob or Dos : The bicycle currently has 14 ◊ 1.75 tires rated at 45 Kg each - a total of about 198 lbs. I weigh 185 lbs. I am limited by fork width in front to the stock tire, would I see any benefit in load capacity if I went to a 2.25 tire on the rear hub ?

Rick

Well, it would add a sweet hotrod look to the bike going with a big and little, and you’d gain a slight amount of flat resistance due to a bigger tire but I don’t think you absolutely need to swap one in. Just make sure you’re at the correct pressure or slightly above.

Thanks, Dos ! ! !

Street rod, indeed! Itíll look like a Stingray! Haha.

My kids commented just yesterday on the fact that we check air pressure before every ride.

Generally the pressure ratings are intended to keep enough shape to keep the tires hooked on the beads, and the pressure can usually be fudged down a bit safely.

A lot depends on the tire and rim.

I think for tooling around, youíll be fine. After all, how many times have we all seen the bike being ridden with barely any air in the tubes? Happens all the time.

Also, about air pressure; a few psi can make a huge difference in ride quality. 5 psi on my 700x48 tires is a HUGE difference in ride feel and tire operation. I generally air down a bit when Iím going to wheelie a lot, to give myself a fatter contact patch.

Are these tires the type with a continuous row of knobs or treads down the center? If so, they should ride nicely. Iíve ridden a ton of folders, and when the geometry is right, theyíre a blast.

A Dahon is probably the best wheelie bike on the planet.

Rob, it's not going to work - I got the tires aired up and the brake levers working - tried riding it for a bit, but it was like riding a circus clown's bicycle - I'm about 5'10" , and there was just no place for the knees to fit - it's headed back to the nice neighbor. The bicycle quest will continue later - Thanks to you and 'Dos' for the valuable input !!

Rick

Hey, what are you doing to that football?!

Hahaha. Iím also tall, so I feel your pain.

This 'issue' has been resolved. With my thanks to Rob and Dos, I am closing the thread.