Thread: Painter attachment

Default Painter attachment

A question raised by a friend had me thinking about painter attachments in small boats.
    Todays no brainer seems to be a bronze eye a foot or so below the sheer which lifts the boat nicely when being towed and if positioned right helps lock it on the trailer.

Traditional non hardware solutions are holes in the stem head if it is high enough above the sheer to be useful and holes in the sheerstrake through which a painter can be run. These holes would be set so the painter which is eye spliced bears on the inner surface of the stem, not just on the plank edges. If the holes are just big enough to take the painter doubled, a long eyesplice can be used so the painter can be removed without cutting. I've done this with a couple of my little boats that are not dinghies and haven't seen any down sides yet. Upside is no shackles and no eye that has to be masked off when repainting.

My old wooden Jet 14 had a small hole drilled right through the stem just big enough for the painter with a stopper knot on the inboard and out board ends. Dry and clean.

Lots of older boats have eyes or some other kind of attachment on the inboard side of the stem, figureing that towing would be rare and dragging any painter outboard is ugly.

So what solutions have you seen? When do we think hardware took over from holes?
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Default Re: Painter attachment

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    Lots of older boats have eyes or some other kind of attachment on the inboard side of the stem, figureing that towing would be rare and dragging any painter outboard is ugly.

So what solutions have you seen? When do we think hardware took over from holes?
    A hole through the breasthook with an iron chafe ring screwed down round it. That was on a skiff built in the mid 1950s.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

no metal.
    I wanted her to be able to tow even filled with water without ripping apart
    nog of hardwood across full length lammed stringers.

3 or 400 miles in....all good.

I just run a line through both sides of the open inwale.

Both, I usually have a high and a low ,plus a stern. Double painters at night or towing in hard weather. Stern for when it's sloppy at night and the dinghy needs to be rafted, and a hangover from when I used to barge the boat along with it.

I followed Mo Poxy's method of a big glob of epoxy and fiberglass in the stem cast around a piece of plastic pipe. https://boatbw.blogspot.com/2015/03/glob-blog.html I don't really use it for much other than winching the boat onto my trailer.

Last edited by The Jeff; 10-19-2021 at 08:52 AM.

Post Re: Painter attachment

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    When do we think hardware took over from holes?
    Painter rings were first listed in the 1906 Old Town Canoe catalog as shown below.

Benson

PAGE-08.jpg

the ol' hole through the boat/behind the stem

What is the pipe you have as a fairlead behind the stem made from Bruce? I need to do something like that on my shell. Was thinking copper pipe.

I had a painter tied through a hole in the top of the stem of my Whitehall and it chafed the edges oval. Now I want to install a bow eye instead.
    - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Life is short. Go boating now!

heater hose ...epoxy stick to it,unlike some plastic hose .
    I only had the catboat a short time so I dunno how it lasted. The catboat is the only one with that hose setup.
    recon it would want occasional grease or lube
    but the cat was not to be towed...light duty ,unlike All Skate,which has hundreds miles under tow already
    Is it not a GOOD thing that the hole became oval? Is the painter nylon or maybe amsteel? I run a reamer down the hole in the others .

low for tow lines

finished bow.jpg

low attachment point helps raise the bow when towing

dutifully following out of the harbour.jpg

low n stout for securing on a trailer

IMG_2205.jpg

IMHO the lower point doesn't affect the structure as much while being as strong as possible

i am intrigued by the hole in the stem for my current build

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

Copper pipe is good, it is available in different wall thickness (marked K, L, M) with K being the thickest wall.
    If you heat it dull red, when it is cool it is annealed or dead soft and can be easily flared on each end with a ball peen hammer to conform to the planking angle and provide a bit of fairlead avoiding a sharp edge.
    I put them in a bit proud (or long) using black Sikaflex then cut and flare them after the goo has gone off...

copper is a good bushing/chafe deterrent, but can it be sealed against the wood?
    We know what sweet water wicking into a stem behind a fitting will do over time.
    That is my main gripe with metal fittings in general.
    bruce
    Swoody...What's doin with the wee bell?

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    copper is a good bushing/chafe deterrent, but can it be sealed against the wood?
    We know what sweet water wicking into a stem behind a fitting will do over time.
    That is my main gripe with metal fittings in general.
    bruce
    Swoody...What's doin with the wee bell?
    wizbang 13, when my toys perform above n beyond ... they earn their bell

the 13'6" wooden skiff(Termite's Delite) earned her bell by taking me off shore about 11-12 miles in some rather sporty seas amongst other adventures

we've had many adventures and she brought me home in one piece from each one

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

On my stripper canoe, which has very little stem , I set a piece of hard copper pipe athwart just aft of the stem . The outside I'd roughened with sandpaper and the epoxy bonded it thoroughly to the wood .I cut and ground it close before installation ,then fine tuned after glueing with a triangular stone set in a drill ..Looks good ;well tarnished now of course.

Portland Lerrets on Chesil beach, Weymouth, England had very low holes to help with the angle pulling them up the shingle beach. Both ends. They were rowed double enders.

Ash oars I think so they could run the boats up on them if needed.
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 10-19-2021 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Pearson View Post
    Portland Lerrets on Chesil beach, Weymouth, England had very low holes to help with the angle pulling them up the shingle beach. Both ends. They were rowed double enders.

Ash oars I think so they could run the boats up on them if needed.
    The painters were stowed by coiling and hanging the coil over that high stem head.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

On a very small stitch&glue skiff that had only glass tabbing inside the stem. I ran a piece of G10 tube through behind the stem tabbing. It’s surrounded by an artful glob of epoxy putty.

If the boat is to be towed, setting the painter attachment low will lift the bow and make towing steadier.
    If it’s trailered, the height should relate to the trailer winch.

On another pram which was often raised by its bow and stern painters on the mother ship’s main halyard, flipped guts-down and swung onto the coach roof, the two painter attachment points were approximately in line with the pram’s center of gravity, making the flipping easy.

When I haven’t been able to get a bronze eyebolt that I trusted, I’ve used a stainless U bolt. Wichard make nice ones.
    Last edited by JimConlin; 10-20-2021 at 12:25 AM.