Thread: Bird deterrents, what works?

Default Bird deterrents, what works?

Gulls, cormorants, etc. Donít want to hurt them, just poop somewhere else. What works?
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Default Re: Bird deterrents, what works?

To keep them from landing? The spike things work.

https://www.amazon.com/Bird-X-Stainl.../dp/B08SR49K1V

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I just saw a rig atop a boathouse...a kite that looks like an eagle landing/hovering. It is suspended on a fishing pole kinna thing.The slightest puff o wind has it in action.

What about a motion detector sprinkler?
    Elect a clown expect a circus

"If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Garretts suggestion works. This works good and is less fragile. Both require a top or high-point to mount them. A dock mate secures his to a canvas top with bungees.

If the boat has no top, construction netting draped over the boat works. The kind used to fence off areas. Prevents them from making a good foothold.

Kevin

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

A friend has one like Breakaway posted on his C-Dory. It works well and he doesn't even have to remove it when speeding along. I made something similar for my boat using some copper pipe, electrical wiring, and aluminum flashing. It worked just fine till it fell off the boat and sank.

Jeff

phalanx ciws
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Biggest problem i had was cormorants deciding my spreaders were a nice roost. What a bloody mess!
    I got some spikey things like you see to keep pigeons out of crevices in cities. Not installed yet so nothing empiric to report.

Most boats in my mooring field have a line from the shrouds to the mast, about 10cm directly above the spreader - seems to work.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

IMGP0747.jpg

Saw this boat out sailing a couple of weeks ago. Streamers and flags everywhere and plastic sheeting over the deck.

I’ve had some success with old CDs strung on fishing line.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Some docks around Charleston (the yacht club) have coyote decoys on the docks - don't know if they work but I've never seen any birds around them

This might work on top of a close piling. 27Ē eagle would be quite chilling to most wildlife.

89FACCF7-8F3D-4D56-9E3D-8935E3FDA319.jpg

A532F981-9D01-4315-8B3A-7B4520A9B7FB.jpg
    Without friends none of this is possible.

The problem, if it can be called that, with scarecrow type deterrents is that they need to be moved around every other day or so. Otherwise, the birds just get used to it.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

For the canoes on our rack, at truck top height, we use rubber snakes. It's true that the birds learn they are not real. Speed of learning seems to depend on the intelligence of the bird.

IMG_5505.jpg

Early in the construction of our new garage, the porta-john had not yet arrived on site. One of the carpenters looked for a spot to answer a call of nature. He decided it would be nice underneath the green canoe in the photo. He was enjoying the feeling of relaxation and all was right with the world, until out of the corner of his eye, he saw............!
    "George Washington as a boy
    was ignorant of the commonest
    accomplishments of youth.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

I bought 2 of the Bird B Gone 4’ “Spiders”. Attached 1’ long lengths of the shiny red anti bird tape to the ends of each “leg”. Mounted them to the tops of the PVC lift guideposts.
    Several weeks now and no bird poop!
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

I've noticed that some of the shore communities along the jersey shore, have the silhouette of gulls painted on their boardwalks ..the idea being that the flying ones won't drop shellfish down to break out the meal, if they think another gull in within range to zoom in and steal it. so, maybe some "cutout gulls" laying on the deck? maybe even a predator bird for good measure

IME the only thing that works long-term is netting over the whole boat. Plastic snakes, eagles, tape, etc all worked for a while but the local birds (gulls and cormorants) worked out after a few weeks that they were harmless. Netting stops them from landing.
    Installation and removal doesn't take long as it doesn't have to look pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by Corella View Post
    IME the only thing that works long-term is netting over the whole boat. Plastic snakes, eagles, tape, etc all worked for a while but the local birds (gulls and cormorants) worked out after a few weeks that they were harmless. Netting stops them from landing.
    Installation and removal doesn't take long as it doesn't have to look pretty.
    The rotating style I posed above worked for over 3 years on my friend's boat. Only that long 'cause he sold it. Kinda hard for a bird to land when they'll get whacked by the metal rod.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Movement and noise. CDs ,crushed pet bottles, rotating devices all work but if you can add some light clattering or clicking it unsettles them and they go to the next boat. Back in the day before environmental awareness the best was light single use shopping bags on a line or two . Of course now we abhor the thought of all that stuff degrading and going in the sea, but replicating that movement noise dynamic is the way to go .

They are spooked by fishing lines, I’ve seen setups with a central hub and 6-8 pieces of mono radiating out, snapped onto other parts of the boat.

The migratory birds here for winter (sanderlings mostly) that like to roost on boats mostly leave mine alone whilst neighbors are buried in guano...I (wooden boat) always rig the big awning when boat is put away, and usually a second one over the foredeck. The birds dont like anything over them. Neighbors are slow to learn from that, I find...

7BD9FD71-8DF1-4690-94C3-60EC9A0A9238.jpgThe only thing that keeps the gulls off in Cowes harbour. Gullsweep

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    The rotating style I posed above worked for over 3 years on my friend's boat. Only that long 'cause he sold it. Kinda hard for a bird to land when they'll get whacked by the metal rod.
    They work, a lot of lobster boats use something home made and very similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post

I watched a seagull land on the cabin top of a powerboat that had one of these. The thing spun around and hit him in the arse. He wasn't fazed in the least - just sat there doing his thing. I have not found these to be that effective.

I use a combination of a rubber snake and spinning cd type things, and it seems to work. I move the snake around a bit whenever I visit the boat.