Thread: The problem with martinis.

Default The problem with martinis.

Martinis and Manhattans are my go-to cocktails. Both use vermouth. And in spite of all the jokes about extra dry martinis, (just pass the cork of the vermouth bottle over the glass), I actually like the vermouth. Itís there for a reason. (If you like just cold gin thatís fine, but itís not really a martini.)

I only drink one or two or three martinis and/or Manhattans a week. So hereís the problem. Vermouth is a wine. Unlike gin, it has a short shelf life, even if that shelf is in the refrigerator as it should be. The problem is further exacerbated by the fact that martinis and Manhattans use different vermouth, hence two bottles being consumed at half the rate. Any cocktail worth drinking should have the best ingredients possible, not stale vermouth.

So the solutions:
    -Buy small bottles. I already do.
    -Drink more. Not a great idea.
    -Serve more to guests. Covid kind of mixes that, plus I donít have that many friends who drink martinis and Manhattans.

Yeah, not exactly a third world problem. But thanks for listening.

Default Re: The problem with martinis.

i agree with everything that you have posted
    especially with regards to manhattans because i think sweet vermouth goes off quicker than dry
    i can offer two more solutions
    a)decant original bottle into a second smaller bottle with gasketed screw top with no air gap
    b)use inert gas to displace oxygen in the opened bottle
    Last edited by Paul Pless; 10-16-2021 at 07:43 PM.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I can’t imagine a dilemna like that.

I believe you are passing over the 'drink more' solution far too quickly. Or, if you're adamant about your liver, perhaps you have a friend, family member, or neighbor who might enjoy joining you for a regular cocktail hour?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

btw way the olives and cherries need to be freshly opened and stored correctly as well

make my olives small and heavily brined bright green castelvetrano please and my cherries luxardo or mine own home candied and stored in rye cherries

Dang. Living sure gets tedious sometimes.

the dog has been peeing on the mint patch. so the mojitos are especially good.

Martinis are like woman breast: One is not enough, two is perfect, three is weird, four is fun, more is floor
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    the dog has been peeing on the mint patch. so the mojitos are especially good.
    What has the dog been drinking?

barn runoff...

I am glad that I am not the only one that likes a sweet Manhattan or martini. But I will take a pass on the olives, and I am not quite sure on Bloxygen in my liquor.

Regarding your third suggestion, a Seattle EBS would be in order. I hope to get back there next summer,...
    Steve Martinsen

I agree with Paul on the olives, small fresh manzanillas, the saltier the better. Almost all bars use Queens. They are terrible olives for martinis but they are big so they make the drink look bigger. I almost always order a martini in a bar with a twist instead of olives.

The secret is to put two cherries in your Manhattan.

https://www.foodandwine.com/news/100...ries-manhattan
    Steve Martinsen

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    I agree with Paul on the olives, small fresh manzanillas, the saltier the better. Almost all bars use Queens. They are terrible olives for martinis but they are big so they make the drink look bigger. I almost always order a martini in a bar with a twist instead of olives.
    the worst is bars that use blue cheese stuffed olives, or really any of the specialty stuffed olives because like you say they are so big

Hey Joe. How did you bartender a good martini?

This sounds like a great research topic for next year's PTWBF.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    This sounds like a great research topic for next year's PTWBF.
    the manhattan project

Going nuclear...
    let me know when this EBS is happening

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Martinis and Manhattans are my go-to cocktails. Both use vermouth. And in spite of all the jokes about extra dry martinis, (just pass the cork of the vermouth bottle over the glass), I actually like the vermouth. It’s there for a reason. (If you like just cold gin that’s fine, but it’s not really a martini.)

I only drink one or two or three martinis and/or Manhattans a week. So here’s the problem. Vermouth is a wine. Unlike gin, it has a short shelf life, even if that shelf is in the refrigerator as it should be. The problem is further exacerbated by the fact that martinis and Manhattans use different vermouth, hence two bottles being consumed at half the rate. Any cocktail worth drinking should have the best ingredients possible, not stale vermouth.

So the solutions:
    -Buy small bottles. I already do.
    -Drink more. Not a great idea.
    -Serve more to guests. Covid kind of mixes that, plus I don’t have that many friends who drink martinis and Manhattans.

Yeah, not exactly a third world problem. But thanks for listening.

A great martini? Use more vermouth.

But if you're going to keep things dry, keep the vermouth in the refrigerator. And get a Vacu-Vin and draw down a vacuum on the stuff. https://vacuvin.com/products/wine-sa...mp-2-stoppers/

I don't know what kind of a vacuum it draws but people making [url="https://www.roarockit.com/skateboard-building/thin-air-press/thin-air-press-super-pump"]epoxy laminate skateboard decks[/img] use the same basic thing to vacuum bag the laminations. So do luthiers.

But vermouth - good vermouth - is tasty on its own.

Try this:

3 Oz. Noilly Prat dry vermouth
    1/2 tsp bitters (I prefer Fee Brothers' Old Fashione Aromatic Bitters over Angostrura Bitters. Or try Peychaud's Bitters)

Make your martinis wet:

4 parts Good London dry gin - Gordon's or Tanqueray.
    3 parts good dry vermouth (Noilly Prat preferred)
    10-12 dashes orange bitters (Regan's)

I prefer it shaken, others stirred.

Garnish with lemon zest. Or an olive... or both.

This cocktail is ace. From the bar at MOMA, the Modern:

The Modern's Kina Cocktail

1 part good dry gin
    1 part Cocchi Americano
    1 part Dolin Blanc white vermouth
    1 healthy slug fino (bone dry) sherry

My wife finds this a bit sweet - Cocchi Americano is quite bitter due to the quinine bark used to make it, but has a sweet component, and Dolin Blanc, though a white vermouth, is sweet.

Swapping in Noilly Prat works quite well.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. ó P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Excellent thread.

Back when I worked behind the stick, the wife of one of my regulars would always order a Vermouth Spritzer. Sweet vermouth over ice, two parts soda, twist of lemon.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Stick to only one- a Martinus? :-)

I hear the Queen is cutting back.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    I hear the Queen is cutting back.
    Bugger orff.
    Come on, feel the noise.

I knowww, at 95 why stop?

From Vanity Fair

No More Martinis: The Queen Advised to Give Up Her Favorite Drink
    At the advice of her doctors, the 95-year-old will forgo her evening cocktail.

By Katie NichollOctober 14, 2021
    Queen Elizabeth is known to enjoy a tipple but Her Majesty is giving up her daily alcoholic beverage at the advice of her doctors.

While she is in good physical health, the Queen, who has been seen using a cane in recent days including Thursday in Wales where she addressed the Welsh Parliament, has been advised to give up her evening martini as she prepares for one of the most important periods of her reign, Vanity Fair can report.

According to two sources close to the monarch, doctors have advised the Queen to forgo alcohol except for special occasions to ensure she is as healthy as possible for her busy autumn schedule and ahead of her Platinum Jubilee celebrations next June. “The Queen has been told to give up her evening drink which is usually a martini,” says a family friend. “It’s not really a big deal for her, she is not a big drinker but it seems a trifle unfair that at this stage in her life she’s having to give up one of very few pleasures.”

The Queen has gone through a difficult period following the death of her husband Prince Philip in April. In recent months, however, she has looked happy and full of energy and enthusiasm as she has carried out a string of engagements.

While she is rarely seen drinking in public, she apparently enjoys a drink most evenings. According to palace sources, her drink of choice is often a dry martini which also happens to be Prince Charles’s favorite as well.

At dinner, the Queen usually enjoys a glass of sweet wine and, according to her late cousin Margaret Rhodes, she’s been known to drink a glass of champagne before bed.

But now, Her Majesty will only imbibe water and soft drinks. “The alcohol has gone, her doctors want to make sure she is as fit and healthy as possible,” confirms a second source.

While it was once reported that the Queen consumed four alcoholic beverages a day, chef Darren McGrady, who cooked for her from 1982-1993 said though she ate four small meals a day (including afternoon tea and a piece of cake), she rarely drank at lunch and often enjoyed just a single small glass of sweet German wine with dinner.

Aside from her nightly dry martini, the Queen is a fan of Dubonnet and gin, which was the Queen Mother’s favorite drink. Last year Buckingham Palace released its own brand of gin, and the Queen allows sparkling wine to be produced from her vines at Windsor Great Park.

After spending most of 2020 and the early part of 2021 at Windsor Castle in lockdown, the Queen has now resumed in-person engagements and has been busy since returning from her extended summer break at Balmoral.

Palace aides have said that the Queen’s schedule will be busy up until Christmas and she’ll be dividing her time between Windsor and Buckingham Palace where she has resumed official engagements and investitures.

Next year, the Queen’s focus will be on her Platinum Jubilee celebrations which will involve a four-day Bank Holiday weekend with events including Trooping the Colour, a service of Thanksgiving, and the highlight of the celebrations—a pageant with 5,000 performers on The Mall in London. There will also be a live concert at Buckingham Palace, called the Platinum Party at the Palace and the Queen will also head to the Derby, at Epsom Downs. The Queen will be 96 at the time of the celebrations and is expected to travel around the UK to mark the occasion while her family undertakes a tour around the Commonwealth.