Thread: split plank Whitehall

Default split plank Whitehall

Hi everyone, I would appreciate some advice again.
    I have a WRC plank that is appox. 4.5 inches wide. It is 5/16 thick. I developed a split at where the hood end meets the rabbet of the stem. There are going to be three #8 screws that need to fasten the plank hood end into the stem. I also have a split in middle of the plank about 2 feet from the split at the hood end. The hood end split is about two inches long and is 'only' split all the way thru the plank in the first inch. The other split is about 4 inches long and does not go all the way thru the wood. The splits themselves are maybe a 1/64th wide in nature. I think I may have developed the splits from steaming the plank a little to much and then tried to torture the plank into place. The plank will be above the water line. I noticed the splits the night after I steamed the plank. It is essential I make this plank work, so I'm not ready to discard it and start over at this time. It is also important that I learn how to make small repairs like this. Even though I am a novice, I do plan on building more boats. But every time I build a boat I cannot afford to just throw away the damaged piece and start over. The boat is basically a traditional build, but I will use epoxy/fiberglass mesh or Sika flex as needed if that is what it takes sometimes to do a repair. I'm looking for advice and suggestions on how I can make the needed repairs to this plank.
    Thanks much, Mac.
    split plank.jpgsplit plank 4.jpg

Default Re: split plank Whitehall

For the hood end split, drill a hole at the end of the split to stop it running further. Run a saw down the split. Glue a plug, cross-grained, into the drilled hole and glue sliver into the saw kerf.

For the other split, make a tool to scrape the split wider, and glue in a spline.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Hi Peerie,
    thank you for your response.
    how I would I insert a spline in the part of the plank that is split unless I actually split the board open. Did you mean I should widen the split and insert a sliver of wood like you mentioned on the split by the stem ? I am not sure how I could put in a spline without splitting the wood open.
    Do you recommend glue or epoxy to fix the the split ?
    Since splits are so thin and the plank is only 5/16 should I drill a hole less than a 1/4 inch and not drill completely thru the plank ?
    thanks for your help. Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey View Post
    Hi Peerie,
    thank you for your response.
    how I would I insert a spline in the part of the plank that is split unless I actually split the board open. Did you mean I should widen the split and insert a sliver of wood like you mentioned on the split by the stem ? I am not sure how I could put in a spline without splitting the wood open.
    Do you recommend glue or epoxy to fix the the split ?
    Since splits are so thin and the plank is only 5/16 should I drill a hole less than a 1/4 inch and not drill completely thru the plank ?
    thanks for your help. Mac
    Splines can be thin and tapered, so make it fit the split that you have cleaned out. I suggested opening them out so that you can guarantee that the glue goes all the way to the bottom. To me a sliver is just a very thin spline.
    Epoxy is glue, it is what I would use. It is gap filling, waterproof and pale in colour.

Very good. I appreciate the quick response.
    Mac

Peerie Maa,
    I felt I should let you know that I was going to repair the plank as you suggested. Unfortunately upon further inspection with a magnifying glass I found more hair line cracks. They were all up in the first three feet of the hood end. I chose to discard that plank and start fresh. I very much appreciate your help.
    Thx. Mac

No wukkas.
    You do right by not building repaired wood into the boat.