Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Female Coach Signs Big Contract

Default Black Female Coach Signs Big Contract

I'll join her in hoping it's a sign of fairer and more rational salary structures to come...

Dawn Staley hopes 7-year, $22.4M contract extension is a 'benchmark' for equality, investment

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/ncaa-da...181853507.html
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Default Re: Black Female Coach Signs Big Contract

How about instead of paying the black female coaches more, we achieve equality by paying the white male coaches less? We'll take what we save and invest it in education.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    How about instead of paying the black female coaches more, we achieve equality by paying the white male coaches less? We'll take what we save and invest it in education.
    You DO have an active fantasy life, doncha?

Wait... you do realize that your subscription to Descartes and Bentham's 'rational man' hypothesis IS a fantasy... right?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

what if those coaches help their programs bring in revenue to the university's general fund?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    what if those coaches help their programs bring in revenue to the university's general fund?
    Very, very few schools have teams that make more money than they cost. Very, very few. The cry from alums who want a competitive team drive the cost up further.

Here's a crazy idea: It's just football (or basketball, or whatever). It will not produce doctors who save lives, scientists who advance knowledge, engineers who will change the quality of our lives, writers who will engage our minds, or... They just train people to play a game when many or most of them will never graduate.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

leland devon melvin
    college football standout graduated with degree in chemistry from virginia
    while playing in the nfl for the detroit lions earned a second degree in engineering, then a third
    retired from the nfl and entered the astronaut corp
    four missions in space
    continues to work for nasa
    would not have earned his first degree without an athletic scholarship

D7B7D3A2-2788-466F-8BA4-63C39931C046.jpeg

Cool Re: Black Female Coach Signs Big Contract

You forgot to drop the microphone Paul.
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Very, very few schools have teams that make more money than they cost. Very, very few. The cry from alums who want a competitive team drive the cost up further.

Here's a crazy idea: It's just football (or basketball, or whatever). It will not produce doctors who save lives, scientists who advance knowledge, engineers who will change the quality of our lives, writers who will engage our minds, or... They just train people to play a game when many or most of them will never graduate.
    You are full of prescriptions for subjects you know very little about. It's bootless.

Consult your doctor to see if YOU might be suffering from Old Phart Explosive Opinionitis... <G>
    Last edited by David G; 10-16-2021 at 06:31 PM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Well… my nephew plays basketball, and he’s been visiting colleges; Stanford, UCSD, MIT…

He wants to be a bio-mechanical engineer, or whatever it is that designs adaptive limbs and such. He has, like, a 5.0 GPA, and is an amazing basketball player; but the schools all want him for his brain, and because he’s a science and math genius, who happens to be nearly 7 feet tall and coordinated.

Anecdotal, I know, but real.

Also, I never would have been to college without athletic money.

Of course, I sure haven’t ever done anything great for the world..l

leland devon melvin
    Brilliant! Name ten more.

It turns out that the statistics are up from when I went to college. Now, 78% of bowl-bound college athletes graduate (after playing 4 years). So ask the question: would the statistics be better of football (or basketball, or whatever) were a club sport instead of a training program for professional sports where most of the players will never progress to the pros?

Here is an interesting statistic: NCAA men's ice hockey, skiing, and tennis have the highest graduation rate of all sports at 94%. How many multi-million dollar coaches are there in those sports vs what those graduates accomplish in life?

Your example would have excelled regardless of the coach or the sport. It's in his nature. Try again.

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    You are full of prescriptions for subjects you know very little about. It's bootless.

Consult your doctor to see if YOU might be suffering from Old Phart Explosive Opinionitis... <G>
    Why are you such an... Screw it. You are incapable of change. Pretend to be an expert in things you don't do. It's your greatest strength.

Rob, you do realize that you just proved my point, right? Your nephew will benefit from a scholarship as will all the lives he touches, not by a coach paid a multi-million dollar salary.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Well… my nephew plays basketball, and he’s been visiting colleges; Stanford, UCSD, MIT…

He wants to be a bio-mechanical engineer, or whatever it is that designs adaptive limbs and such. He has, like, a 5.0 GPA, and is an amazing basketball player; but the schools all want him for his brain, and because he’s a science and math genius, who happens to be nearly 7 feet tall and coordinated.

Anecdotal, I know, but real.

Also, I never would have been to college without athletic money.

Of course, I sure haven’t ever done anything great for the world..l

Why are you such an... Screw it. You are incapable of change. Pretend to be an expert in things you don't do. It's your greatest strength.
    Perhaps you can help with an epiphany. Where in this thread did I hold myself up as an expert on college sports? I know only enough about that topic to know how ill-considered your suggested solution is.

Or are you talking about the concept, from political economics, of a 'rational man'? I actually do know a fair amount about that one, and applaud the fields finally recognizing that - as a concept - it's the bluntest of hammers (which is the way you keep using it)... and liable to do more harm than good.

I know, I know... everyone hates being corrected. Esp. pointedly. Even if 'pointedly' came only after many more gentle hints and suggestions.

Let me suggest you go ahead and join the Pless/Baxter/Oz/Hoppelong Cabal. They will offer much sympathy and agreement, youbetcha!
    Last edited by David G; 10-16-2021 at 06:48 PM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

second chances, only very slightly off topic

well worth listening to the end

how can you not like this guy? seriously? how is he not worth $9.5 million a year? seriously?

Here is an interesting statistic: NCAA men's ice hockey, skiing, and tennis have the highest graduation rate of all sports at 94%. How many multi-million dollar coaches are there in those sports vs what those graduates accomplish in life?
    Darn it! I just saw a map that said the hockey coach was the highest paid public employee in my state. Darn. I hate that.

By the way, I count 38 states where either the football or basketball coach is the highest paid public employee. Do you wonder why we have bad government?

actually not off topic at all
    right on topic

By the way, I count 38 states where either the football or basketball coach is the highest paid public employee. Do you wonder why we have bad government?
    i'll take a coach over government lawyer being the highest paid any day

Perhaps you can help with an epiphany. Where in this thread did I hold myself up as an expert on college sports? I know only enough about that topic to know how ill-considered your suggested solution is.

Or are you talking about the concept, from political economics, of a 'rational man'? I actually do know a fair amount about that one, and applaud the fields finally recognizing that - as a concept - it's the bluntest of hammers (which is the way you keep using it)... and liable to do more harm than good.
    David, you excel at being one of the most unjustifiably condescending individuals that I know. Condescension is the tool of people who want to be thought of as expert without having the chops to back it up.

i'll take a coach over government lawyer being the highest paid any day
    Then you will get a winning team and bad law every time.

Saban is spot on with his rant. Of course one has to make a judgement about whether a second chance will do a kid any good. But WAY too much blaming and shaming going on when kids make mistakes. Our culture in general has too much leftover Puritan punitiveness... still. To this day. Too few see the wisdom of Blackstone, and err on the side of hope.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

thank you david

David, you excel at being one of the most unjustifiably condescending individuals that I know. Condescension is the tool of people who want to be thought of as expert without having the chops to back it up.
    Yes, I do get that sometimes. But mostly I get it from people who I have corrected, and who are unable to formulate an argument about how I am incorrect. Or they try and fail. Then they break out the same 'argument' you just did. Or one of their buddies, behaving tribally not rationally, does so on their behalf.

Don't be like them. If you think anything I've said here is incorrect... show me. Make an argument. Be convincing. Use facts, data, sound logic, or good research. Something more than a repetition of the ideas that were challenged... or more unbuttressed opinion... or an emotional reaction to being corrected.

If you'd like a suggestion: your 'solution' in #2, which I challenged, is amenable to such an argument. Can you muster anything to support such an approach? I remain skeptical, but you might change my mind. Or someone else's...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

david, you're doing that thing again

lol

david, you're doing that thing again

lol
    Thank you. I wonder if any of the 'folk' will ever take up the challenge...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

That's an impressive interview. He understands his job.

He is uncommonly articulate in a profession where most coaches can't form whole sentences.

However, let's look at the other side of the coin. Do we really think it's right to hold up a student to criticism by the sports press to be cheered or jeered on the street for how they played a game? If we actually believe that education is important, should we hold a press conference to talk about students who failed their midterm? Is that right? Is that the manly thing to do?

This coach is a class act. I'm not sure the lesson he tried to teach is worth $9.5M, but he's a good coach.

second chances, only very slightly off topic

well worth listening to the end

how can you not like this guy? seriously? how is he not worth $9.5 million a year? seriously?

That's an impressive interview. He understands his job.

He is uncommonly articulate in a profession where most coaches can't form whole sentences.

However, let's look at the other side of the coin. Do we really think it's right to hold up a student to criticism by the sports press to be cheered or jeered on the street for how they played a game? If we actually believe that education is important, should we hold a press conference to talk about students who failed their midterm? Is that right? Is that the manly thing to do?

This coach is a class act. I'm not sure the lesson he tried to teach is worth $9.5M, but he's a good coach.
    You complain when I correct your misconceptions... then follow it up with that gem?

I guess bigotry is almost always based upon ignorance.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Rob, you do realize that you just proved my point, right? Your nephew will benefit from a scholarship as will all the lives he touches, not by a coach paid a multi-million dollar salary.

No.

It’s you who miss the point, entirely.

The young man would not be who he is without coaches who took interest and MADE him study to stay playing.

But, whatever.

You complain when I correct your misconceptions... then follow it up with that gem?

I guess bigotry is almost always based upon ignorance.
    Bigotry? David, your comments are not worth the electrons they require for transmission.

No.

It’s you who miss the point, entirely.

The young man would not be who he is without coaches who took interest and MADE him study to stay playing.

But, whatever.
    I'm sorry to hear that. His parents should have done that job. However, I am glad they succeeded.

Tell me something, how many teachers do you think are out there who inspire their students to achieve? I know a great many and they achieve those goals for students who can't carry a football or throw a basket. Why is it that a coach is better paid when they do it than when the teacher does it?

I'm sorry to hear that. His parents should have done that job. However, I am glad they succeeded.

Tell me something, how many teachers do you think are out there who inspire their students to achieve? I know a great many and they achieve those goals for students who can't carry a football or throw a basket. Why is it that a coach is better paid when they do it than when the teacher does it?

The post I replied to was you saying “it’s just sports, and it won’t help make better people”; basically.

That’s crap. Blatantly untrue crap. Loads of people who play sports are successful.

The sport ALWAYS makes the athlete a better person. Always.

But, you have a specific bone to pick, so have at it. I really don’t care.

ETA: well, I DO care about the juvenile and idiotic insult slung at my family, for the sake of trying to make your facile argument that coaches are frivolous.
    I mean, I can stand the belittling of my current profession, but not the bad-mouthing of my family by some anonymous jerk. As if a child visits the best universities in the nation without any parental support, or as if the parents have somehow failed.
    That is some weak ass sauce, and a total jerk move.
    Makes me think less of you.
    Last edited by amish rob; 10-16-2021 at 08:24 PM.

The post I replied to was you saying “it’s just sports, and it won’t help make better people”; basically.

That’s crap. Blatantly untrue crap. Loads of people who play sports are successful.

The sport ALWAYS makes the athlete a better person. Always.

But, you have a specific bone to pick, so have at it. I really don’t care.
    Rob, I have no interest in arguing with you.

Yes, lots are successful. In my generation, less so now, many never graduate and were not successful. The football team at the Univ Maryland when I went there had horrible graduation statistics (something like 50%).

Sports always makes you better? Maybe. In that case, I shudder to think what O.J. Simpson would have been like without sports.

A bone to pick? I suppose so. It saddens me to watch the American educational system in decline.

back to the op

why isn't south carolina getting more props???
    the posted article and a cursory review of other article cite staley's superior negotiating skills and last years blm movement in securing the contract

back to the op

why isn't south carolina getting more props???
    the posted article and a cursory review of other article cite staley's superior negotiating skills and last years blm movement in securing the contract
    Maybe they will now. They deserve it based upon their impressive recruiting and on-court performance. Kudos to them, her, and her giving accurate credit where it's due, while not ignoring the history.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Beware All ---

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Cool Re: Black Female Coach Signs Big Contract

That Calvin had it all figured out man.
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.