Thread: Build Back Better Act!

Default Build Back Better Act!

18h

Corporate media is focusing on the costs, and presenting them in a negatively biased way. They aren't informing people about what's in the bill. Here is some info:
    Provisions of the 3.5 Trillion Dollar Bill

Two free years of community college
    The legislation provides two years of free community college for all students, regardless of family income. It is anticipated to cost $108 billion.
    Child care and universal pre-K
    Every family that applies shall be offered child care assistance for children ages 0 to 5. In all, the plan allocates roughly $450 billion to lower the cost of child care and provide two years of universal pre-K for 3- and 4-year-olds, according to the House Education and Labor Committee.
    Medicare expansion
    This heavily debated provision would expand Medicare to include coverage of dental, hearing, and vision services.
    Extended child tax credit
    Democrats expanded the child tax credit for 2021 in their $1.9 trillion COVID-19 relief plan, and now want to extend it through 2025. Under the enhancement, families receive $3,600 per child under age 6, and $3,000 per child age 6 to 18. Most families receive monthly payments of either $250 or $300 per child.
    Cut prescription drug prices
    Another key provision in the bill is aimed at helping to slash prescription drug prices. Americans on average pay two to three times as much as people in other countries for prescription drugs, according to the White House. Among other things, the legislation allows Medicare to negotiate drug prices. Medicare is currently prohibited by law from negotiating for the best deal.
    Paid family and medical leave
    For the first time in history, the U.S. would have comprehensive paid leave, covering 12 weeks of paid family and medical leave. The legislation would replace at least two-thirds of earnings, up to $4,000 per month, while the lowest-paid workers would receive 80% of their income. The White House has previously estimated the plan would cost $225 billion over the next 10 years.
    Climate change
    Combating climate change and slowing the rate at which Earth warms will mean transitioning away from fossil fuels, the major source of greenhouse gas emissions. One provision that Manchin has objected to is the $150 billion "clean electricity performance program," which would pay utility companies that increase their renewable energy supplies by 4% per year. Companies that do not hit this benchmark would face financial penalties. The bill also provides significant funding for forest management and other wildfire control measures. There are also measures to incentivize the buying of electric vehicles and the construction of charging stations; consumer rebates to homeowners who weatherfit their houses; and financial penalties for oil and gas producers for methane leaks, among other things.
    Lesser-known provisions
    The massive bill has a slew of lesser-known provisions as well.
    For instance, the bill would authorize $5 million a year for the Small Business Administration for an entrepreneurial program for formerly incarcerated individuals.
    The bill also directs $2.5 billion for the Justice Department to award competitive grants or contracts to local governments, community-based organizations and other groups to support intervention strategies to reduce community violence.
    Source: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/budget-...ck-better-act/
    EDIT: If anybody finds other articles explaining the parts of this bill or providing in depth explanations about it's benefits, please put them in the comment section. I'd like to correlate some info to put in other threads and subreddits so more people can understand the bill.

Default Re: Build Back Better Act!

The above looks like a sure recipe to get Republicans elected next year. If El Trumpo had proposed it they would be behind it 100%. Democrats? nah. I don't really see anything there that is building anything back better. A bunch of entitlement programs.

Community college may be akin to the GI bill but without having the recipients doing something in return, like some kind of national service, it is a big give away. As a senior why wouldn't I like expanded medicare? Good thing my daughter and her husband get to pay for it...

My view for some years now has been the K-12 is antiquated and needs, in some way, to be updated.

Rebuilding the town of Manville, for example, really requires it being built back better able to withstand stronger storms. Otherwise, we'll be rebuilding it more often.

I also think there are things in this bill that dems are willing to remove, but Sinima isn't saying what she wants, and Manchin's less than clear.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gray View Post
    Community college may be akin to the GI bill but without having the recipients doing something in return, like some kind of national service, it is a big give away. As a senior why wouldn't I like expanded medicare? Good thing my daughter and her husband get to pay for it...
    it’s a return to the way college was when the us was great.

the actual policies are generally popular. But I guess the bilge galaxy brain has declared the only way democrats can win is to be Republicans

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Yup, I missed that one. I was busy anniversaryizing that day.