Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Takapu

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Shore, Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    3,446

    Default Takapu

    or Australasian Gannet. The breeding colony at Muriwai is at full noise, so I took my camera along.

    preen.jpg

    soar.jpg

    landing.jpg

    conflict.jpg

    Lots of squabbling, a fair bit of courting, a bit of mating, and so far, just a few eggs in evidence. The chicks will be along soon, and then the odour will go from ripe but tolerable to breathtakingly unbearable.
    'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    the hills
    Posts
    63,477

    Default Re: Takapu

    thx!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,711

    Default Re: Takapu

    Re: second photo- wish I could soar like that!!!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Indian Land, SC, USA
    Posts
    4,064

    Default Re: Takapu

    Truly, 'tis a big bird !!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Farmington, Oregon
    Posts
    18,033

    Default Re: Takapu

    i am frequently struck by how clean critters are, out there in nature.

    brilliant birds.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    77,353

    Default Re: Takapu

    Great images. Thanks!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    29,297

    Default Re: Takapu

    Those are great shots, we've had so much fun with gannets around us for decades of boating, and I grew up as a surf club brat at Muriwai, so they've always been present for me. Best memories are of being beside or in a hailstorm of them , thousands of them hitting the water all around us at Great Barrier island.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    new zealand
    Posts
    5,377

    Default Re: Takapu

    Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    i am frequently struck by how clean critters are, out there in nature.

    brilliant birds.
    Beautiful pics AK.
    We have a pair of blackbirds that have discovered our dog's water bowl since our cat passed on a few months ago, and decided that it makes a damn fine alfresco bath. The little b'stards WAIT!!! until we change the water, then jump in. We are absolutely amazed at how filthy the water is afterwards, so bad that we have to change it again. I'm not sure who is training who here!

    Pete
    I have one troll on ignore

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    New Zealand's Far North
    Posts
    10,494

    Default Re: Takapu

    Great pics, thanks. Those beaks are pretty serious up close. I once accidentally hooked one when trolling for kahawai, and had to remove the lure it had dived on.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    29,297

    Default Re: Takapu

    Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    Great pics, thanks. Those beaks are pretty serious up close. I once accidentally hooked one when trolling for kahawai, and had to remove the lure it had dived on.
    Same here, traumatic for it and traumatic for us. I had to get rid of that lure, too realistic.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Waikato. NewZealand
    Posts
    3,332

    Default Re: Takapu

    Great to watch when diving into a large school of fish...........
    Seen that heaps of times in the Bay of Islands.
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    On the river, Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    7,090

    Default Re: Takapu

    Quote Originally Posted by AnalogKid View Post
    or Australasian Gannet. The breeding colony at Muriwai is at full noise, so I took my camera along.

    preen.jpg

    soar.jpg

    landing.jpg

    conflict.jpg

    Lots of squabbling, a fair bit of courting, a bit of mating, and so far, just a few eggs in evidence. The chicks will be along soon, and then the odour will go from ripe but tolerable to breathtakingly unbearable.
    You're not kidding, that smell is memorable.
    But so are the birds, in quite a different way.

    John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Kailua, HI
    Posts
    341

    Default Re: Takapu

    Here in central north pacific, we have a cousin, the 'Brown Booby' (Sula Leucogaster) that is fairly common, nesting on the little offshore islands near the main islands. Problem is, the juveniles take stupid to a new level, and when fishing in summer (when there's a new cohort just fledged), the juveniles will swarm a set of trolled lures. Bad enough when one swoops in, but a gang and they get competetive, until someone gets hooked. Not fun, as John references above, as birds are not robust enough to be hauled around in the water by their beak...

    In my experience there are very very few seabirds that will do more than look, *sniff*, and never break formation for an artificial trolled lure. But these Boobies will not only dive on them, but repeatedly, even after holding that piece of metal or plastic in their beak they'll try again. Have to take in lures, sometimes, when they show up. Which is a bit of a hassle, 4 lures behind a sailboat.

    All of which is to say that while theyre beautiful, some of them spark dread in the fishing sailor.

    The other Boobies we have are Red Footed, they're all white with some tasteful trim (and the referenced red feet), and they never even look twice.

    Brian

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    29,297

    Default Re: Takapu

    Quote Originally Posted by Boatsbgood View Post
    Here in central north pacific, we have a cousin, the 'Brown Booby' (Sula Leucogaster) that is fairly common, nesting on the little offshore islands near the main islands. Problem is, the juveniles take stupid to a new level, and when fishing in summer (when there's a new cohort just fledged), the juveniles will swarm a set of trolled lures. Bad enough when one swoops in, but a gang and they get competetive, until someone gets hooked. Not fun, as John references above, as birds are not robust enough to be hauled around in the water by their beak...

    In my experience there are very very few seabirds that will do more than look, *sniff*, and never break formation for an artificial trolled lure. But these Boobies will not only dive on them, but repeatedly, even after holding that piece of metal or plastic in their beak they'll try again. Have to take in lures, sometimes, when they show up. Which is a bit of a hassle, 4 lures behind a sailboat.

    All of which is to say that while theyre beautiful, some of them spark dread in the fishing sailor.

    The other Boobies we have are Red Footed, they're all white with some tasteful trim (and the referenced red feet), and they never even look twice.

    Brian
    That's what was so surprising about the gannets and that one particular lure. Something like 20 years of dragging lures , numerous gannets and a confidence they never would go for one. And then one day. ....
    It was a rapala mackerel top water lure, really realistic.
    I think the boobies we would see in Fiji were blue footed. One memorable night on passage from Minerva reef to Denerau we had one flying around the mizzen over three watches, just wouldn't given up on trying to land on the radar halfway up. Couldn't do it, we were rolling and pitching in a decent seaway. It came in and scrabbled around on the tender outboard hanging on the transom rail, caused some epithets from the crew on watch.
    They nest in trees too, a little bit odd for a seabird that size.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    East Quogue,NY
    Posts
    23,690

    Default

    Beautiful birds. Like fighter jets when they dive!

    Kevin


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    29,297

    Default Re: Takapu

    We've had several events over the years when dolphin have herded mackerel and kahawai into bays, kingfish follow those around so we'd go out in the dinghy or the stripper and troll, all the while with gannets machine gunning the water around us, again trusting them. It is an amazing experience. Mostly at Great Barrier island .

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Toronto Canada
    Posts
    1,929

    Default Re: Takapu

    More like Stukas. My daughter (5 in 1982) and I watched the colony at Hawkes Bay.
    Thanks for those impressive pics.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •