Thread: Booster confusion

Default Booster confusion

So, my sis-in-law is 76. She went into CVS to get her flu shot. The pharmacist asked her if she wanted her covid booster. This was a month and a half ago. He gave her a shot of Moderna. Full dose.
    Moderna has not yet been approved for booster.
    Then, TV weatherman Al Roker said he went in for his approved Pfiser booster, and the doc gave him Moderna as a booster.

Are professional healthcare folk making it up as they go along? Playing it by ear?
    HO HO HO

Default Re: Booster confusion

As I understand a vaccine:

One's body reacts to the active part and destroys it. So no vaccine is left. Giving a booster of a different vaccine should be effective and harmless regardless of what the original vaccine was.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    So, my sis-in-law is 76. She went into CVS to get her flu shot. The pharmacist asked her if she wanted her covid booster. This was a month and a half ago. He gave her a shot of Moderna. Full dose.
    Moderna has not yet been approved for booster.
    Then, TV weatherman Al Roker said he went in for his approved Pfiser booster, and the doc gave him Moderna as a booster.

Are professional healthcare folk making it up as they go along? Playing it by ear?
    Certainly not getting our info from 'one source/one voice', are we? The Moderna booster (for those who previously received moderna) is a 'half dose' - and it's for elderly/high risk etc. - at this time. Recognize - we are 'making it up as we go' - it's a new virus; it's new vaccines.

So is this a problem? I suspect 'not at all'. More info coming out, esp for J/J, to get one of the mRNA vax's. No mention of crossing over within those vax's, but suspect it works fine, may even be a benefit. Time/studies will tell. Did have a young pt the other day who had J/J early, now has received two shots Moderna - full dose. Her mother works in an immunology office, apparently that's what their docs are saying.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Well, the FDA recommeded approval of the Moderna booster yesterday, so it seems like both Pfizer and Moderna are ready to go for elderly and at risk. I am pretty sure 76 qualifies as elderly at this point.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

There is a lot of ignorance out there. Including among some profesessional health-care workers like pharmacists and nurses. Ask a lot of questions and walk away if you do not like the answers.
    " I am one of those white, common sense conservatives. I believe in science and I have not taken the shot.
    -- Sarah Palin, 9/16/21

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post

Are professional healthcare folk making it up as they go along?
    pandemic kabuki

this vaccine **** ain't real, you know that
    Last edited by Paul Pless; 10-15-2021 at 07:15 PM.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

CDC says 'guidelines' - advisory committee recommends/FDA makes a determination/endorses a vax/med. If you don't 'know' the various players, 'do this' for a living - it's certainly confusing. This could have been / could be done better. And then, just to make it interesting, you get individual players - such as our state AG, making his partisan statements; governor giving mixed signals - and then, each/every state 'doing their own thing'.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    CDC says 'guidelines' - advisory committee recommends/FDA makes a determination/endorses a vax/med. If you don't 'know' the various players, 'do this' for a living - it's certainly confusing. This could have been / could be done better. And then, just to make it interesting, you get individual players - such as our state AG, making his partisan statements; governor giving mixed signals - and then, each/every state 'doing their own thing'.
    i have to say, the response by us, all of us,
    to this pandemic has really been the cause for a **** load of increased disillusionment in me regarding my fellow man

Hey! I'm doing the best I can!

george you have been a gem throughout
    i dont know how you put up with some of 'the stupid'

Quote Originally Posted by paul pless
    to this pandemic has really been the cause for a **** load of increased disillusionment in me regarding my fellow man
    100%
    " I am one of those white, common sense conservatives. I believe in science and I have not taken the shot.
    -- Sarah Palin, 9/16/21

Well, thank ya -

and gotta say - 'the drugs help'

Just kidding! I've transitioned to being really pi$$ed, arguing with pts about it (not a real practice builder, btw) to offering info if wanted, to now - 'RU vaxxed?' No? So... what can I do for you today?'

There is a part of the 'deniers' population that is just itching for an argument, a fight. They hate it when I won't play along. I rather enjoy that.

Yep, Tom. BTW.... I really dislike your new byline.

That is all.

Passive resistance, George. Just offer them service but only once they've had shot #1.

And, if at all possible, get your colleagues to do the same.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Cool Re: Booster confusion

My eyesight is getting bad.
    I thought the title of this thread was Rooster Confusion.

Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

It's all Fauci's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    What's scaring me is that I can guarantee Iran is taking notes right now. Very possibly North Korea as well. I would bet their debate is on how narrowly to target a bio weapon. They both have far more than enough resources to set up a program that no one would ever be able to find until it was too late.

The future of the world right now is hinging on the calculations of desperate, and/or crazy, people that are backed into a corner.

For me, people have been terrific; both the professionals administering and the citizens getting a shot, talking, and so on. The anti-vaxers I know are at least polite and try to dress their nonsense in a cloak of 'reason'. In return, I try to be polite an not crushingly truthful. Rather, I ask questions. So, from Cape Cod, all good so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    As I understand a vaccine:

One's body reacts to the active part and destroys it. So no vaccine is left. Giving a booster of a different vaccine should be effective and harmless regardless of what the original vaccine was.
    Our health authorities are proposing a booster of Moderna at 12 months following the Phizer second shot.

Incidentally we had a "Super Saturday" event yesterday, that was to pull as many people through the vaccination system as possible. They ran one of the major tv stations like a "telethon" with pop stars and sporting heroes performing, 130k people got a shot, for our small population that was a major success. My partner is a nurse vaccinator at one of the temporary clinics, she's jabbed about 600 arms so far, her one day record is 97.
    We as a country are now in the early 80%s and rising. Still in zoned lockdowns though, but, still at 5 deaths per million at a time when a lot of countries are way past 2000 per million. Watching those figures rise in other places makes the inconvenience of our lockdowns seem a small price to pay.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    For me, people have been terrific; both the professionals administering and the citizens getting a shot, talking, and so on. The anti-vaxers I know are at least polite and try to dress their nonsense in a cloak of 'reason'. In return, I try to be polite an not crushingly truthful. Rather, I ask questions. So, from Cape Cod, all good so far.
    cape cod has the second highest covid vaccination rate of any urbanized census designated area in the united states

Booster confusion?

I clicked this expecting to read something about rockets.

Disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvida View Post
    What's scaring me is that I can guarantee Iran is taking notes right now. Very possibly North Korea as well. I would bet their debate is on how narrowly to target a bio weapon. They both have far more than enough resources to set up a program that no one would ever be able to find until it was too late.

The future of the world right now is hinging on the calculations of desperate, and/or crazy, people that are backed into a corner.
    Paranoid?

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    Incidentally we had a "Super Saturday" event yesterday, that was to pull as many people through the vaccination system as possible. They ran one of the major tv stations like a "telethon" with pop stars and sporting heroes performing, 130k people got a shot, for our small population that was a major success. My partner is a nurse vaccinator at one of the temporary clinics, she's jabbed about 600 arms so far, her one day record is 97.
    We as a country are now in the early 80%s and rising. Still in zoned lockdowns though, but, still at 5 deaths per million at a time when a lot of countries are way past 2000 per million. Watching those figures rise in other places makes the inconvenience of our lockdowns seem a small price to pay.
    I am pleased that your "Super Saturday" went well.

Our federal government has different powers than yours. And individuals here have valid reasons to mistrust the federal government. Still, we could have done better.

While any inconvenience I might have suffered was worthwhile, I cannot say the same for many. There are certainly a good number who despite additional benefits who have spent all of their savings and perhaps more.
    Life is complex.