Thread: The Red Monster has a survey…

Default The Red Monster has a survey…

… we are lying ashore at a rather grand boatyard, with Australia II, Victory, Italia and the Trust Fund Babe* for neighbours.

The rather eminent surveyor having identified the stuck cooling water inlet seacock and the non-functioning electric bilge pump as matters requiring attention before re-launching, and having commented on the Red Monster’s owner’s habit of carrying spare everything, opened a locker in the fore cabin and called up through the hatch “You’ve got another CQR here!”.

I had completely forgotten it!

*The Trust Fund Babe:

“Duet”, Linton Hope, 1911, owned by the Arctic explorer Augustine Courtauld, left by his son the Reverend Christopher Courtauld, founder of the Ocean Youth Club and of the Cirdan Trust, for sail training, with her own trust fund to cover her costs.
    Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 10-15-2021 at 08:42 AM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Default Re: The Red Monster has a survey…

An anchor is a rather large thing to lose track of! I normally carry 2 CQRs (bow & stern), a fisherman & a Danforth. Must say it's been years since I used the fisherman or Danforth.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I love your boat, Andrew. She is quite fetching, if I may say so?

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Other than the potential discovery of forgotten CQRs, what was the reason for the survey Andrew?

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by AndanteEd View Post
    Other than the potential discovery of forgotten CQRs, what was the reason for the survey Andrew?

Ed
    Involuntary change of insurer. The East Coast Mutual Yacht Insurance Association Ltd stopped underwriting as they felt that their costs of compliance were so excessive, taking half their premium income, that they should stop whilst they were ahead and distribute the surplus they were sitting on to the members.

So I needed a new insurer, who needed a new survey.

Actually since the surveyor (a) used to manage the boatyard she is sitting in and (b) owns a Nicholson 43, the nearest thing to a sister, it was all quite fortunate.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    An anchor is a rather large thing to lose track of! I normally carry 2 CQRs (bow & stern), a fisherman & a Danforth. Must say it's been years since I used the fisherman or Danforth.
    It happened this way. When I bought her she had a 60lbs CQR and no windlass. I didn’t think much of that and seeing an ad for a 75lbs CQR copy for Ł50, I bought it and stowed it below. I also fitted an SL 555 manual windlass.

More recently I bought a very nice unused genuine Simpson Lawrence CQR from a very expert couple who had bought it fir a boat that they are building but decided it was too small, and I bought a 40kg Delta from Princess Yachts who build big power boats and had too many in stock. My plan being to fit the big Delta and keep the unused CQR as a spare, adding a Danforth type as a kedge in due course, as their straight line holding is so good. So at the date of the survey she had three CQRs on board. Two of which -?” a slightly rusty genuine 60 and a copy 75, are “for disposal”.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Looks like a much modified Australia II there! I think, for cruising, I'd rather be on your boat

Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    I love your boat, Andrew. She is quite fetching, if I may say so?

Mickey Lake
    You certainly may! Here is a slightly more flattering view, taken on our last sail before laying up for the winter.

IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

I'm trying to imagine owning a boat large enough that I could a) stow three 60lb+ anchors aboard and b) lose track of one of them!
    - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Life is short. Go boating now!

And I thought you had downsized!

I upsized. To 24.17 tons Register, 24 tons displacement and 33 tons Thames Measurement, sail area 1,625 sq ft of which 510 sq ft is in the mainsail. 55ft on deck, 14.ft 4ins beam, 8ft 9ins draft. She was built for the British Ministry of Defence as an “Adventurous Sail Training Yacht”. Sleeps 5 in comfort, 7 in tolerance and 12 if you really push it.

Sails like a dream, but you reef as soon as you think about it - not because she can’t stand it - she could not care less - but because you won’t be able to handle the forces involved - that rig will generate several hundred horsepower.

We call this “end of two years afloat thanks to Covid19” condition…

The cutter set up.

What the boat feels like…

Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 10-15-2021 at 05:10 PM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

This is a great thread!

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

A neighbour… Sir Richard Matthews’ Sean Carkeek all carbon offshore racer “Oystercatcher XXXV”

That’s a fixed keel but she does have water ballast. Inshore crew of 15, offshore crew of 8-9.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

andrew i would like to sail with you aboard her someday
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post

What the boat feels like…

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    Actually since the surveyor ... owns a Nicholson 43, the nearest thing to a sister, it was all quite fortunate.
    The Nicholson 43 is one of my all time favourites. The 55 is right up there too. Not literally from the same mould, but metaphorically very much so.

Thanks for posting the pics Andrew, it's really good to see these ex-service boats being used and taken care of. So long as there are people willing to sail (and maintain) them they will keep going forever.

The very lovely sister “Quailo III” shows off her new carbon fibre mast:

IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Gosh.

She's stunning...

Quote Originally Posted by AndanteEd View Post
    Thanks for posting the pics Andrew, it's really good to see these ex-service boats being used and taken care of. So long as there are people willing to sail (and maintain) them they will keep going forever.
    My favourite boat was an ex RNSA contessa 32, beautifully fitted out for actually sailing.
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .