Thread: Davis Row Boat on Seattle Craigslist

Default Davis Row Boat on Seattle Craigslist

Another on my list of boats that someone needs to buy so I won't...

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...392346352.html

A really nice example of a classic PNW small craft. From the description it is one that Marty Loken found and restored in the late 1990s. It definitely deserves a good home and the price seems entirely reasonable if it's anywhere near the condition that it appears to be from the photos.
    - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Life is short. Go boating now!

Default Re: Davis Row Boat on Seattle Craigslist

Darn, Chris - I like it, but on the wrong coast, and no room in my garage. What do you suppose the poster means by 'needs some TLC' ?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    Darn, Chris - I like it, but on the wrong coast, and no room in my garage. What do you suppose the poster means by 'needs some TLC' ?

Rick
    That's the $2,700 question isn't it? The boat looks good in the photos although it's not clear what's going on with the port sheer strake and some of the paint looks a little sketchy. Thing is, a 14' row boat would be perfect to keep tied up behind Skookum Maru in the marina. I could go rowing whenever I wanted instead of dealing with trailers and launching and all that. Too easy to rationalize these things... But nope, I'm not even going to take a look at it. Just going to let it go.
    - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

The Davis family were native Alaskans. They built their boats in Alaska; they were used for commercial fishing. I restored one for the family long ago. Good folks.

Someone needs to tell the owner of the boat pictured above that seam compound is best applied from the outside of the boat.

Well there's something I never thought I'd see. Someone is trying to flip a wooden row boat.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...394270245.html

Original ad is gone. Now a new ad is up with different photos taken (recently it looks like) at Shilshole, a vague description, and a $600 jump in price. Seems like a hard way to make money to me but best of luck to them for trying!
    - Chris

They need to get the weight of that hull off the bunks by properly supporting the keel.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    They need to get the weight of that hull off the bunks by properly supporting the keel.
    I could be wrong, but I assume there is at least one other roller supporting the keel aft. Do you think that it needs more than that? I ask because that's basically the setup I have for the whitehall right now, a significantly longer and heavier boat. And if it wasn't on the trailer, I would still support the keel in two places using slings or saw horses.
    - Chris

I can't see the roller. Could be it's just fine. I just always think of the worst when I see little wooden boats like this on trailers with a lot of weight on bunks. I'd consider supporting the entire keel with a piece of pressure treated lumber, or at least getting a bit of support mid rocker too. Damage happens both while you bounce down the road and then later when the boat sits and sits and sits waiting to go back into the water. Also, when stored people tend to store stuff in little boats. Added weight doesn't help on unsupported spans. One reason I have this opinion ... CWB used to have warehouses full of little wooden boats that had been absolutely destroyed by the trailers they were resting on. Where the boats were properly supported - they looked great.

Another thing I learned at CWB back when I messed around on their collections committee and helped create a collections / artifact museology policy ... when you hang a boat from the rafters it needs to be supported at a minimum of three points. Sometime go into the galley area downstairs at CWB. You'll see the boats resting on spans with closed cell foam for padding. There's no oil canning this way and the weight is spread out evenly. You're looking for a similar support on a trailer, imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    I can't see the roller. Could be it's just fine. I just always think of the worst when I see little wooden boats like this on trailers with a lot of weight on bunks. I'd consider supporting the entire keel with a piece of pressure treated lumber, or at least getting a bit of support mid rocker too. Damage happens both while you bounce down the road and then later when the boat sits and sits and sits waiting to go back into the water. Also, when stored people tend to store stuff in little boats. Added weight doesn't help on unsupported spans. One reason I have this opinion ... CWB used to have warehouses full of little wooden boats that had been absolutely destroyed by the trailers they were resting on. Where the boats were properly supported - they looked great.

Another thing I learned at CWB back when I messed around on their collections committee and helped create a collections / artifact museology policy ... when you hang a boat from the rafters it needs to be supported at a minimum of three points. Sometime go into the galley area downstairs at CWB. You'll see the boats resting on spans with closed cell foam for padding. There's no oil canning this way and the weight is spread out evenly. You're looking for a similar support on a trailer, imho.
    Oh, now that is good information! Especially since I'm about to hang the rowing shell and was planning on two slings. Can't do more than that in the space I have available, but I might be able to rig some sort of supporting cradle. More thought needed.
    - Chris

FYI: the hanging boats in CWB's floating boathouse gallery have been removed pending building restoration. The new Wagner Education Center has a number of boats hanging in slings.

I know of an alleged Davis boat that would look great in the CWB livery.

It would be a good livery boat! CWB isn't a very attractive option to a boat-flipper, however.