Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: covid is over for some

Default covid is over for some

Lots of people no longer want to wear masks in the office or in a business meeting conference room. They don't even ask for or declare vax status.

Liberal or conservitive, democrat or republican it doesn't matter. I can only surmise that for many intellegent, highly educated and wealthy folks, the epidemic is over. The weird thing is they do not want to come back to work in the office. Despite that Brooks Brothers has currently run out of white collared dress business shirts.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

Default Re: covid is over for some

i think it's the new normal
    what with vaccination+booster+new treatments if one does get sick
    i'm almost alright with it
    still i avoid big crowds of mouthbreathers
    and i don't much care for people being all up on me - never have really
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

last year i had two surgeries
    i was screened for covid on three consecutive days leading up to surgery and as i entered the surgery ward
    kat was not allowed in the hospital for either surgeries
    i'm having foot reconstruction surgery friday and since i showed proof of vaccination no covid screening will be necessary and katherine is welcome to accompany me

I don't think there's anything weird about not wanting to come back to the office, but

We know that our facilities are safe
    Is a pretty dumb thing to put in a statement like that.

It does suggest the new normal. If people are being encouraged to go out to dinner, drink in doors and have business social parties maskless - why even bother chasing this anymore. I suppose the boosters every 6 months is a way of life and big pharma may be the best stock buys for long term growth. Too bad big pharma can not come up with addictive life saving alpha to omega drugs...

Quote Originally Posted by offbelayknife View Post
    I don't think there's anything weird about not wanting to come back to the office, but

Is a pretty dumb thing to put in a statement like that.
    Can you say lawsuit?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I do federal contracting so by December 8 (and often earlier depending on agency/location) everyone is going to be vaccinated or will have an exemption for pretty limited circumstances. Still mulling over furloughing without pay folks that get an exemption.

Collecting and maintaining the records is a pain, and folks trying to abuse the reasonable accommodation process need to kick rocks, but it'll be nice to have one less thing to worry about and stay so on top of.

In a related story - southwest employees proved they do not need the vaccine either. (why do you think they had 1000 flights cancelled and luggage piles to the airport ceiling.) Another get stuffed comment on covid.

It won't be over for me until there are zero cases in the county for 4-6 months. That won't begin to happen until the tourists go away.

I was good with wearing a mask and then got used to not wearing since being vaccinated in a very safe Covid state. My wife and I have again taken to wearing the mask in stores just to be on the super safe side. Plus, it might shield us from the common cold this winter.
    We're flying to North Carolina tomorrow for my mother's funeral. Between airport time and flights, we'll have the masks on for ten hours. That will feel strange.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Washington may be like a number of states. Several of our counties have high vax rates and low infection rates. Other counties, usually rural, have the opposite.

We still wear masks and stay out of restaurants.
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe
    In a related story - southwest employees proved they do not need the vaccine either. (why do you think they had 1000 flights cancelled and luggage piles to the airport ceiling.) Another get stuffed comment on covid.
    Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals tell un-vaccinated transplant candidates and donors to get stuffed.

The Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals, two of the largest health care systems in Ohio, are requiring Covid-19 vaccinations for solid organ transplants.

The recently announced mandates will apply to patients and living donors prior to the procedures, according to statements from the health care providers.

Patients on a waiting list for organ transplantation from a deceased donor have until Nov. 1 to become vaccinated, or they will be considered “inactive on the waiting list,” the Cleveland Clinic said in a statement Monday.

“Vaccination is particularly important in these patients for their safety,” the statement said. “Living donation for organ transplantation has been a life-saving treatment, but it is not without risks to the donor. For the living donor, reducing the risk of a COVID-19 infection around the time of their surgery and recovery is crucial."

In addition to a major operation for recipients, medications taken following an organ transplant can weaken a patient’s immune system. Serious complications from Covid are more likely to develop in people who have weakened immune systems, according to the Cleveland Clinic.

Officials with University Hospitals said in a statement on Friday they were guided by medical studies pointing to the serious risks organ recipients face if they contract coronavirus.

“Vaccination is particularly important in these patients for their safety," the statement said. "Transplant recipients are required to take medications to prevent organ rejection which weakens the immune system. For living donors, prevention of COVID around the time of surgery is essential.”

The Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals are joining a growing number of the more than 250 organ transplant programs across the country that have chosen to bar patients who refuse to take the widely available Covid vaccines.

Other transplant centers are making unvaccinated candidates a lower priority, while some programs planned no restrictions.

Transplant centers evaluate which patients are allowed to be placed on the national list, considering medical criteria and other factors, such as financial means and social support to ensure that donor organs won't fail.

At issue is whether transplant patients who refuse the vaccine are not only putting themselves at greater risk for serious illness and death from Covid infections, but also squandering scarce organs that could benefit others.

As of last week, nearly 107,000 candidates in the country were waiting for organ transplants.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...lants-n1281363
    " I am one of those white, common sense conservatives. I believe in science and I have not taken the shot.”
    -- Sarah Palin, 9/16/21

All three Scandinavian countries terminated all legally binding domestic restrictions during September. The motivation is that the vaccination rate is sufficient so the pandemic isn't endangering the society any longer.
    /Erik

Wherr I live we have over 80% double vaxxed, over 90% single vaxxed. And we have one particular religious group which is deeply opposed to vaccines of any type, who now constitute the great majority of our infections. Some members work in long term care homes, and reintroduced the virus to the frail elderly population living there, who had not yet got booster shots - leading to a new round of deaths, and more hospitalizations and cases in general than NB has seen at any point in the pandemic.

Most of us are safe. Most of us can be in each other's company unmasked. But enough people are hostile to vaccines that they pose an ongoing risk.

All Provincial public servants here, or staff in publicly funded sectors, now need to be fully vaccinated, or they will move towards termination. The Feds are already moving that way for Federal civil servants, and workers in Federally regulated agencies. In November, all passengers on flights taking off from Canadian airports will also need double vaxxing, and the same will follow soon after for any passengers on our major railways.

We are already at a place where many businesses are required to ask proof of vaccination, and many others are making it a condition of employment.

People will continue to have the right to refuse to be vaccinated but they will bump into restrictions on what they are able to do within the broader public society as a consequence of their choices. And that will encourage many people to rethink their choices, as their scope for living in ordinary ways shrinks.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals tell un-vaccinated transplant candidates and donors to get stuffed.
    those findings are irrelevant. Professionals, well heeled and wealthy don't care about any of that. If they don't care then those who serve them should not if we are going to be fair. What doctor is going to turn down the opportunity do their best for their patients who have insurance, connections and drugs to treat the dangerously infected? Vaccine status is so last season since those who wanted them got them.

Covid as a killer of rich people is over. everyone worried are told to get your boosters. our political leaders are saying go back do work if you are told to and lucky ones continue to work remotely. peons wear your mask, do your dirty jobs, deliver amazon orders, pour good drink and cook fine dining. We have an economy to grow.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 10-13-2021 at 05:33 PM.

Meanwhile an unvaccinated close friend of my sister and brother-in-law contracted COVID-19 at church (there was a recent super-spreader event). She recovered but not before giving it to her unvaccinated husband. He ended up in the hospital on a ventilator and died. My sister and brother-in-law attended his funeral on Monday.

And then this was reported a few hours ago:

Comedian Ricarlo Flanagan dies from Covid-19 complications at 40

Flanagan, who has starred in shows like " Insecure" and "Last Comic Standing," died over the weekend from Covid-19 complications.

Oct. 13, 2021, 3:23 PM EDT / Updated Oct. 13, 2021, 3:42 PM EDT
    By Variety

Ricarlo Flanagan, an actor, rapper and stand-up comedian who was a semifinalist on “Last Comic Standing,” died over the weekend of Covid-19 complications, his talent representative confirmed to Variety. He was 40.

“Sadly this pandemic has taken the life of an extremely talented performer and even nicer human being. Ricarlo will be greatly missed,” his agent Stu Golfman told Variety.

Friends have created a GoFundMe campaign to provide assistance to Flanagan’s family.

“The news of a loved one’s death is never something easy to hear, let alone if you are far away from the individual,” reads the GoFundMe’s description. “Our dear friend has suddenly passed away and sadly was far from his family. Ricarlo Flanagan was a loving son, grandson, cousin, nephew and friend with many amazing talents. He brought laughter to every room he walked in. We would like to get him home to his family in Cleveland, Ohio, so his family can put him to rest. We ask that you please keep his family in your thoughts and prayers. Please help us with any contribution you are able to give. This will be greatly appreciated, not only by us but most importantly by his family.”

Earlier this month, Flanagan shared on Twitter that he had contracted Covid-19, saying, “This COVID is no joke. I don’t wish this on anybody.”

Flanagan released his debut comedy album, “Man Law,” in 2013. The comedian went on to compete on the ninth season of NBC’s “Last Comic Standing,” becoming a semifinalist on the competition show. NBC is owned by NBC News’ parent company, NBCUniversal.

In addition to comedy, Flanagan was an actor, with recurring roles on the eighth season of Showtime’s “Shameless” and the Disney Plus series “Walk the Prank.” Flanagan had also made one-episode guest star appearances on “The Mick,” “The Carmichael Show,” “Insecure,” “The Neighborhood,” “Kidding,” “Room 104” and Spectrum’s “Mad About You” revival. According to Golfman, his most recent credits include an episode of Peacock’s upcoming comedy series “Bust Down” and the new Aubrey Plaza movie “Emily the Criminal,” which marked Flanagan’s first official film role.

Flanagan also had a rap career under the name of Father Flanagn. He had released three music albums: 2010’s “Death of Davinchi,” 2019’s “An Opus Inspired by Andre Martin” and 2020’s “Hope You're Proud.” His latest album, “Both Sides of the Brain,” was set to release on Tuesday, according to his Twitter.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/...ns-40-rcna2981
    " I am one of those white, common sense conservatives. I believe in science and I have not taken the shot.”
    -- Sarah Palin, 9/16/21

Lots of people no longer want to wear masks in the office or in a business meeting conference room. They don't even ask for or declare vax status.

Liberal or conservitive, democrat or republican it doesn't matter. I can only surmise that for many intellegent, highly educated and wealthy folks, the epidemic is over. The weird thing is they do not want to come back to work in the office. Despite that Brooks Brothers has currently run out of white collared dress business shirts.
    Not in NYC or LA

We just came back from NYC you can’t enter any restaurant, bar, or any social gathering without proof of vaccination and you can go into any store or shop without a mask on. Oh and they have bouncers at the door checking proof of vaccinations
    Fun fact is NO ONE bitches they just get the science

Additionally I have an interview on the 18 with a prospective groomer. My absolute first question is, are you vaccinated ? A no answer to that question means you don't work for us. It tells me all that I need to know. I will also be wearing a mask during the interview if they aren't it's a red flag.

Side note: One of the 3 groomers I let go because of being in unvaccinated just came down with it severely and had to be hospitalized, she also gave it to her mother who is also unvaccinated.
    Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 10-13-2021 at 05:59 PM.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

So when’s the next pandemic?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post

Additionally I have an interview on the 18 with a prospective groomer. My absolute first question is, are you vaccinated ? A no answer to that question means you don't work for us. It tells me all that I need to know.
    you might have saved some time by asking that question when set up the interview

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    you might have saved some time by asking that question when set up the interview
    I prefer to get in their face and make them drive all the way here, bring all their tools, and think they are going for a ride along, only to drive home without a job and the long ride to think about their actions. Me I'm sitting in my home office anyway

Then again I always hope for the best, and believe most people are now smart enough to get the jab.

Thats incorrect Southwest pioneered the hubless model and did the point to point model instead. That works when all the pieces are perfect but any disruptions in any point can have a domino effect. It had NOTHING to do with Covid Mandates, both Southwest and the Airline Unions agree. Stop promoting disinformation.

Thats incorrect Southwest pioneered the hubless model and did the point to point model instead. That works when all the pieces are perfect but any disruptions in any point can have a domino effect. It had NOTHING to do with Covid Mandates, both Southwest and the Airline Unions agree. Stop promoting disinformation.
    That is not what my southwest friends in dallas said nor high up travel insiders are repeating. You can read all the spin you want Joe.

more to the point.

I was called in today to cover an emergency video job in San Francisco. They offered me a bonus to show up. I got there as soon as I could (less than 40 mins from the first call at the tail end of the morning commune) , the talent and all these business people were waiting for me. I set up my fly pack as fast as I could including a teleprompter. In a room about 10 x 20 8 people were all in the room mask less. I asked as I set it up that everyone be Covid conscious. None of them were. They talked and ate all around me. None of them except me wore a mask all day. I worked without a break until 6:30 and drove home pissed. I also feel like I need to quarantine for 7 days just in case.... Now I am very cranky!

In other news the US is on the verge of 740,000 deaths from Covid, 98% of the hospitalize and dead are UNVACCINATED

Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 4.10.51 PM.jpg

That is not what my southwest friends in dallas said nor high up travel insiders are repeating. You can read all the spin you want Joe.

more to the point.
    So the Unions and Southwest are lying but "Your Friend" knows better ?

Quick question does Southwest have a traditional Hub model ? Maybe ask your "Friend"

California has over 80 deaths a day from COVID-19 still. Over 15,000 people younger than 65 have died.

So the Unions and Southwest are lying but "Your Friend" knows better ?

Quick question does Southwest have a traditional Hub model ? Maybe ask your "Friend"
    https://seekingalpha.com/news/373477...loyee-pushback

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jemimam...h=24650eff65c3

‘Shut Them Down’: Republicans Attack Southwest Airlines, Side With Employees Amid Rumored Vaccine Mandate Protest

Jemima McEvoyForbes Staff

Business
    I'm a British-born reporter covering breaking news for Forbes.

Though Southwest Airlines continues to dispute the circumstances around the mass cancellation of its flights over the weekend, Republicans in Congress have been quick to criticize the airline and side with its employees amid rumors the disruptions are stemming from an internal demonstration against its Covid-19 vaccine mandate.

WASHINGTON, DC - AUGUST 04: Senate Judiciary Subcommittee Chairman Ted Cruz (R-TX) questions ... [+]
    GETTY IMAGES
    KEY FACTS

Reports of Southwest cancelling nearly 2,000 flights on Saturday and Sunday—disruptions the airline blamed on bad weather and air traffic control issues—immediately sparked speculation from Republicans about the role of the company’s new vaccine mandate, which had already drawn some internal opposition.

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.) took to Twitter on Sunday night to declare the cancellations the result of “Joe Biden’s illegal vaccine mandate at work,” referencing the federal government’s requirement that major airlines get workers vaccinated or risk losing lucrative contracts.

Fellow Texas Republican Rep. Chip Roy went a step further, proclaiming himself “100% behind” employees at the Dallas-based company, which he called on his colleagues in the House and Senate to boycott for future aid.

Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wisc.) and Rep. Andy Biggs (R-Ariz.) similarly took up the cause of Southwest employees, with Biggs saying he stands with what he described as a fight for “freedom.”

CHIEF CRITIC

“Shut them down,” wrote Roy. “And when they come begging for bailout — not one [Republican in the House] or [Senate] should support them.”
    KEY BACKGROUND

After the company's pilots union asked a court Friday to block Southwest from implementing its vaccine mandate, the cancellation of more than 25% of Southwest’s flight on Sunday has sparked a cascade of complaints and scrutiny. The company and the union representing its pilots sourced the massive disruptions to bad weather and an air traffic management program imposed by the Federal Aviation Administration. But commentators have highlighted that other airlines canceled relatively few flights over the weekend, a disparity Southwest is yet to comment on. This, coupled with the documented internal opposition to the company’s November 24 vaccine mandate, catalyzed speculation the disruptions are linked to the mandate.

CRUCIAL QUOTE

Despite mounting speculation about a so-called “sick out,” a spokesperson for Southwest vehemently denied any connection with the mandate. “The weekend challenges were not a result of Employee demonstrations, as some have reported,” the company said in a statement to Forbes. “We have a closer to normal operation today, navigating some new weather across our system.”

"Rumored" Vaccine Mandate Protest
    is that anything like the
    "Rumored" stolen election ?

And bonus points for posting a photo of the LYING Antichrist to back up your point

I wonder if Ted Cruze took Southwest to Cancun to escape the power outage in TX

Edited to add just looked it up he flew United

CRUCIAL QUOTE

Despite mounting speculation about a so-called “sick out,” a spokesperson for Southwest vehemently denied any connection with the mandate. “The weekend challenges were not a result of Employee demonstrations, as some have reported,” the company said in a statement to Forbes. “We have a closer to normal operation today, navigating some new weather across our system.”
    Also I mean COME ON Ted "Republicans Attack Southwest Airlines, Side With Employees Amid Rumored Vaccine Mandate Protest" you really want to take republicans word on this ? LOL what a rube
    Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 10-13-2021 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Z View Post
    Hey Joe. Check your signature line. I don't want to be a duck, but your spelling socks.
    It was always on purpose to annoy Don{n} back in the day of the O&O cabal

He could do an add for Pillsbury...

Scotland, North Lanarkshire - the majority by far are vaccinated, are awaiting boosters, and - from my experience - literally everyone wears masks in enclosed areas.

There's a feeling of safety and acceptance of 'the new normal' about it - much of that, I suspect, down to the trust people have in the Scottish government's COVID strategy and its responses to changing situations. ...Compare with the months of messy messaging from Westmonster.

Andy
    "In case of fire ring Fellside 75..."

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    So when’s the next pandemic?
    Pretty much. Really, COVID is only “over” for the dead. It only takes one mutation…
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

So the Unions and Southwest are lying but………
    Yes they are.
    It’s not strictly about Covid. SWA has been abusing crews for months due to short staffing. The Covid mandate was just the final straw.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

I really don’t understand how any aircrew wouldn’t want to protect themselves from this virus. If I worked in a small enclosed space with the general public I would not only insist on being vaccinated myself, I’d insist that all the passengers and fellow crew members be vaccinated also. I guess I’m just lucky that I work alone and can pick and choose the jobs that I take.

Covid is surging in Minnesota right now. As I move around town, most are behaving like there's no covid. It's like living in the Mask of the Red Death. Today's obits had one for the last of the big band leaders that put the town on the map, he was in his 90s and had played last month with the municipal band. He died of covid this week.