Thread: Does anyone have any information on the 31-foot Pennant class?

Default Does anyone have any information on the 31-foot Pennant class?

I don't believe there were ever a lot of Pennants around, but as a youth I was familiar with one at our local club. Brief description: it was 31-foot overall, plank-on-frame, hard chined with a raised deck, had a bolt-on iron keel and an outboard rudder. Atomic four for auxiliary power. I'm sorry, I have no photos of her.
    Anyone else familiar with this design, and can perhaps fill me in on important things like the designer and builder?
    Thanks so much!
    Mack
    Life is too long to live with an ugly boat...

Default Re: Does anyone have any information on the 31-foot Pennant class?

I think so. Pennant boats were built in Queens NY, I think College Point at the very western edge of Long Island Sound. I owned a 20' for a number of years, loved it. They were built by Frank "Bud" Schneider, believed to be originally designed by Charles Mower. There were many sizes from 16' to mid 30s. All were hard chined with an iron fin keel. Apparently Mower designed one for Schneider, who the adjusted the size as desired. They were common enough years ago that when I sailed mine in the 90s, people would say "Is that a Pennant? My (father, uncle, neighbor) had one." The yard closed in the sixties. I have some literature on the 20, and some correspondence on the boats in general.

My old man fell in love with the 20 foot pennant that he learned to sail in. He talked about that boat forever.
    There's still some around. There is a one in Westport looking a tad worse for wear but it gets sailed every season.

Glad to hear it. I loved mine too, sailing it year round without an engine, even cruising it halfway around Long Island.