Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tackling the cupboards of doom

Default Re: Tackling the cupboards of doom

As Michael posted in # 37, my garage ( 2 car ) resembles 10 lbs of stuff in a 5 lb bag - I now live in a large retirement community, and as some of my neighbors pass on, their widows offer me the 'stuff they kept in the garage' (tools, storage chests, garden equipment, paint - you get the idea ) . . . . One of these days, I'll actually find time to organize it all.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    . . . One of these days, I'll actually find time to organize it all.
    I dunno, all you need to find is the next guy to pass it on to!
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    I dunno, all you need to find is the next guy to pass it on to!
    To youngest son, "someday son, all of this will be yours". Son runs off screaming.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

^ Strange thing is, John, when my son was still living at home - my stuff kept 'disappearing' - power tools, cross- country skis, specialty hand tools just seemed to 'vanish' Just one of those 'miracles of nature' , I guess

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    The shed of extreme distress:

Looking south...

Attachment 97017

And, two minutes later, having picked my way through the detritus, looking north...

Attachment 97018

It's a massive 5 feet by 14 feet. Quite how I got so much in there, I dunno, but it's one of those spaces where I've gone to grab a few tools to do stuff elsewhere, and just dumped 'em back in, afterwards. This is bad.

It needs sorted: I want my den of incredible back, the radio on, clear workbenches, bung on the heater as dark descends, and work away free from the cares of the world!

Andy

If that is the Shed of Extreme Distress, then mine is the Shed of Please Drop a Match.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Naw, Kevin - that title 'has' to refer to mine . . I am almost to the point of carrying an EPIRB when I go out there !!!

I've been in phase 2 of tidying the garage for a couple of months now. Nearly at the point where I demolish the old bench and tool cupboard. But there's a few things that need to find there way in to the basement first.

Today marked the first day of tidying the basement in order to make room for those items I no longer want in the garage.

To make a bit of space so I could level some ground and put up some racking, I needed to get rid of a few things.

The shed was nearly empty, ready for demolition. Now it contains all the items from the basement that I moved to make way for the items that I no longer want in the garage.

It really is like one of those puzzles with a mixed up picture and one free square.
    'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

What about the failure to communicate drawer? It's full of wires. Charging wires, download wires, upload wires, USB something wires, USB other wires. Mini wires macro wires mini mk 2 wires or sumpin.
    TV aerial connection wires and box thing. TV DVD wires, CD wires.RJ45 jackpoint and wire. Firewire.
    Stereo wires, surround sound wires, Motorola wires, Samsung wires ,flip phone wires,,is that cell phone? That's my cellphone from the 90s.
    Spare wire.
    That's the top layer.
    Wait, what's in that box, it's got wire writ on it.

Oo look, a pen drawer.
    Last edited by John B; 10-17-2021 at 07:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AnalogKid View Post
    I've been in phase 2 of tidying the garage for a couple of months now. Nearly at the point where I demolish the old bench and tool cupboard. But there's a few things that need to find there way in to the basement first.

Today marked the first day of tidying the basement in order to make room for those items I no longer want in the garage.

To make a bit of space so I could level some ground and put up some racking, I needed to get rid of a few things.

The shed was nearly empty, ready for demolition. Now it contains all the items from the basement that I moved to make way for the items that I no longer want in the garage.

It really is like one of those puzzles with a mixed up picture and one free square.
    It’s called “Making a Bigger Mess to Tidy a Smaller Mess”. We are in the process of a three area shuffle, as well.

The best part is when you actually need to do something with something that’s been moved to an interim holding pen…

I keep telling my lady , that to sort all the stuff in the garage , will require emptying it all out, and spreading the contents so I can sort, shred, pitch, keep, or donate things - item by item - her idea is, if you don't need it now, just pitch it all. I am not sure she understands me

Switching routers on Saturday and I realized that I have a peg on the pegboard with about a dozen wrenches on it. I'm sure I dont own that many small power tools. I recognize the ones for the angle grinder and two of my routers. The rest I should toss I guess. But what if I need one of them some day.....

^ . . . precisely my thought process ! ! ! !