Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tackling the cupboards of doom

Default Tackling the cupboards of doom

During furlough I tackled all my cupboards of doom, bar one. The ones I took on are now cupboards of awesome. They're neat and organised: the sort of cupboards I could easily and proudly show off to visitors who might want to see where the mop lives, or half-used tins of paint. The one lurked though, in the back of my mind, waking me in cold sweats, and laughing at me as I walked by.

This is the paperwork cupboard. Letters get delivered and, eventually, stuffed into here. Many not opened: my account tells me what I earned, do I need to see the paperwork to back it up? I know the mortgage gets paid, do I need to see the annual report? Now, the paperwork cupboard last week reached the stage where the door didn't quite shut, so I thought today's the day to take it on.

And here I am, three hours later. Why did I need to keep:

Guarantees for kitchen goods I no longer own?
    MOT certificates for cars I've owned that are, no doubt, quietly rusting in some junkyard?
    Eight years of payslips for my last-but-two-jobs ago?

Throwing this crud out was extremely satisfying. Life-changing, indeed. I now have one small box file with the important stuff in: marriage certificate, degree, passport and the like, along with paperwork for only the current things I own.

Next up? The shed of extreme distress.

...But that'll take a week.

Andy
    "In case of fire ring Fellside 75..."

Default Re: Tackling the cupboards of doom

Great!
    Do you take commissions? :-)

Don’t forget the junk drawer….of despair.

This winter I have to tackle my shop. The tools are organized but every shelf, every cabinet, every nook and cranny is covered in a fine coat of sawdust. Plus, there are some things lurking on the back of upper cabinets shelves and deep in the closet that need to be flushed out.
    The kitchen junk drawer is getting a bit out of hand also.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by birlinn View Post
    Great!
    Do you take commissions? :-)
    I almost would, now I'm buzzing with tidy-endorphins, but my own junk is mighty and tough enough. Dang, clearing my folk's house last year, on my own, took weeks.

BTW, I need to see the garage of sadness and the junk drawer of despair. I'll throw in before and after images of the shed of extreme distress if you do!

Andy

In my case it’s the saved scrap lumber pile of why.

...Home to spiders, is why.

But just think what you could build in there, once sorted!

Andy, envious.

The shed of extreme distress:

Looking south...

DSC_0267.jpg

And, two minutes later, having picked my way through the detritus, looking north...

DSC_0268.jpg

It's a massive 5 feet by 14 feet. Quite how I got so much in there, I dunno, but it's one of those spaces where I've gone to grab a few tools to do stuff elsewhere, and just dumped 'em back in, afterwards. This is bad.

It needs sorted: I want my den of incredible back, the radio on, clear workbenches, bung on the heater as dark descends, and work away free from the cares of the world!

Andy

big bag o what?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

The above images all look like my living room

Up in the loft we have a Pandora's box. A large cabin trunk containing clothes, and Lord knows what else, which came with us when we moved here 37 years ago. We have never unpacked it
    Structures without reference to geometry tend toward the ramshackle

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    big bag o what?
    Now that's cut and dry wood chunks, ready for the chiminea.

Oh, and I've just seen my studding-finder-outer. Not seen that in months. Maybe I should study the photos more?!

Isla, don't be opening the box for a decade or three. The world's bad enough as it is!

Andy

Have you got a Man Drawer?

It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Z View Post
    And yes, it's a two car garage.
    I can see tires in the picture, so, I guess the cars are in pieces in the garage, awaiting reassembly. Correct?

I am having a year of homeless, a complicated property deal left me with the option of renting until we get paid out, we being my sisters and I so I'm a solo, or being creative. Rather than shell out a years rent, probably a few months more than that, I spent the equivalent of that rent on purchasing a 1996 Isuzu light truck based 6 metre class C camper and am trucking around in that. Very much enjoying it too.
    But my very extensively equipped boatbuilding workshop is in storage in my late fathers workshop, if one tucks ones elbows in and walks in carefully, three steps, then there is just space enough to turn around and carefully walk back out.

So, in the new year, all going as planned, there will be a building project, and the "Shed of great relief and much pleasure" will be built, benches and shelving set up, all of my treasures placed within and I can begin to work at my favourite occupation once again.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Because of the working style of the old friend I share the shop with... I'm engaged in a constant epic battle with The Shop Of Clutter & Chaos. Most of the crap is not even mine... so I can't just chuck it into the fire...

Kudos, Andy, for mustering the will to tackle the monsters.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Those garages/workshops look entirely too neat. Those are the “after” pictures, right? Amateurs.

My wife keeps me far to busy to do any work in my shop, let alone organise it.

(BTW Andy G, how's the state of your sock drawer?)

When we moved from the west side of the valley to the east side, I lost the sewing room of contentment. I now have my creative supplies shoe horned into one corner of the bedroom of the never ending nap.
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

What about the Nightstand of Glory?
    My nightstand drawer is the one place I can throw stuff that my wife won't clean out and throw away.
    I'm not talking kinky sex toys here for those of you about to ask!.
    Shoelaces, old photos, old broken watches, old TV remotes, instructions for all those old broken watches and other assorted guy stuff.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    Those garages/workshops look entirely too neat. Those are the “after” pictures, right? Amateurs.
    That’s what I was thinking!

I remember a post here years ago showing a newly fitted workshop with a complete roster of tools and dust removal equipment with polished benches, and only a bottle of red wine and a glass in evidence.
    I wonder if it ever got used. I have aquaintances who are tool addicted but never build anything.

All those photos of very organised workshops / garages are making me Jealouse..
    Just an amateur bodging away..

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    Oh yeah. Mid housebus project, my workshop is an absolute ****ing disaster area. It has got so bad that I urgently need to spend a couple of hours sorting it out, before finding the screwdriver I want becomes a full-on SAR exercise. This coming weekend! It needs to be done.
    20211012_200825.jpg
    20211012_200847.jpg
    20211012_200914.jpg
    I have one troll on ignore

This is what happens when you buy a new stove.
    20200503_173251.jpg

VJ expands.jpg
    And it's not finished with yet.
    be modest, and be proud of it.

Our kitchen is buried under the contents of the pantry at the moment, due to the efforts of Mr Mouse. The pantry is being repaired / redecorated..
    Just an amateur bodging away..

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    In my case it’s the saved scrap lumber pile of why.
    AH! The scrap pile of "Some day"! I am physically and emotionally incapable of throwing out scrap lumber. "I'll need this...some day.."

For years I relied on the youngest to clear it out on a regular basis when he cleaned the shop. Except he moved out in May and the pile is starting encroach on my work space.

Finishing up a garden gate for a client this weekend and then I really gotta grow up and fill a barrel or two with kindling.

Wish me luck...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    What about the Nightstand of Glory?
    My nightstand drawer is the one place I can throw stuff that my wife won't clean out and throw away.
    I'm not talking kinky sex toys here for those of you about to ask!.
    Shoelaces, old photos, old broken watches, old TV remotes, instructions for all those old broken watches and other assorted guy stuff.
    I got one of them !!! A suitable place for military 'dog tags' (issued in 1967), watches, a small piece of scrimshaw. ( guy stuff, ya know ?)

Re: Willin's 'Scrap pile of Someday' - back in 2006, I flew out to my Father-in-law's house to do some repairs (all the local tradespeople refused to do any work for him - really cantankerous guy ) - I was poking around checking for projects to do and opened the furnace room door to find the entire room jammed with short offcuts of 2x4 and 2x6 lumber - literally wall to wall - when I unearthed the furnaces, they had a tag indicating the filters were due for replacement in 1986 ( the house was in Palm Springs, CA - rarely used heat, I guess )

Rick

Recommended reading. Not nearly as cutesy as the lady who wants you to thank your socks for the joy they bring when you put them away. Basically, we're all going to die one day, how much work do you want to leave for whomever has to clean up? Seems a bit ruthless at first but it helped me a lot when shifting house last summer, I'd been in the old one for 18 years.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Is this a slide type tackle, or a waist tackle?

Definitely a waste tackle, Rob.

Ah, my sock drawer, as mentioned by Skuthorp...

I believe the Y-chromosome codes for simplicity in a number of elements of human life, such as the need for but one shampoo, and my Y-chromosome contains many bases that have evolved to be specifically sock-orientated. Newly single, and living in a flat shortly after 2002, my sock drawer only had pairs of old, red, wooly socks in it.

This was, of course, a stroke of pure manly genius. Shove in a hand and pull out a pair of utterly random socks that not only matched, but could never not match. So I wore old, red, wooly socks everyday. That Y-chromosome, being short, can't store much on it, but who cares? That is a feature, not a bug: I didn't have to think about socks on any level beyond grab, don and go.

Shortly thereafter I met my future wife, and - somewhat intriguingly - my old, red, wooly socks started to slowly disappear over the course of several months. Like so glacially I didn't at first notice it: until the day I gazed upon a moraine of new socks in my sock drawer.

Years later she 'fessed up. "I was so sick of those old, red, wooly socks that whenever I found a discarded one or two while hoovering, I'd suck the bvg9ers up."

And that is why, today, I have to look, make a choice and hunt for a pair before donning and going.

...Which might make some kind of sense to those with x-chromosomes, but it is, of course, just utterly insane.

Andy, Tresemme, 900ml bottle. Lasts for blinking ages.

A coworkers Uncle passed away - this was 2002'ish - he had lived by himself in a small, one bedroom / one bathroom house - when my coworker went to clean it up, it took 7 20-yard dumpsters to haul away all the junk. That was exclusive of what the cousins and family kept.

My next door neighbour moved out and downsized. Invited me over to help myself to whatever I wanted from his seventy-year collection of tools and stuff (he was a diesel mechanic by trade, but his last job was training maintenance mechanics for the DEW line and their descendants). My workshop was already over-filled. Now it resembles ten pounds of crap shoved into a seven-pound box...
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post

Recommended reading. Not nearly as cutesy as the lady who wants you to thank your socks for the joy they bring when you put them away. Basically, we're all going to die one day, how much work do you want to leave for whomever has to clean up? Seems a bit ruthless at first but it helped me a lot when shifting house last summer, I'd been in the old one for 18 years.
    I've been doing a lot of tidying up and reorganisation in and around my shed lately. It did cross my mind the other day as I sorted stuff, that I am starting to put my affairs in order; reducing the mess I leave behind.
    be modest, and be proud of it.