Thread: What finish for white oak screen door?

Default What finish for white oak screen door?

A nephew is making a screen/storm door of white oak. It will be mounted year-round and have removable screen and glass panels. It is located near Boston, faces southeast, gets sun through noon and is subject to rain. What finish should be used?

7E09CACA-3F44-49A2-84B7-373E0ED30AA8.jpg

Default Re: What finish for white oak screen door?

Repeated coats of cleaned raw linseed oil followed by varnish, or followed by oil paint.

Jim, I'll bet some real money that the joints between the rails and stiles on that door have not been fully bedded or otherwise made to exclude water. And because the glass/screens must be easily exchanged, the rabbet that receives them will get wet also. Then when you add the UV factor.... a bright finish will look splendid... for about three months. Then it's back into the shop for a redo. Won't happen. Will it?

So use the best penetrating oil finish you believe in. Or paint it. The paint will last and last with little maintenance. The oil will require annual attention.

Jeff

No matter what you settle on, pay particular attention to the bottom edge, and the joints where the bottom rail meets the stiles.
    When it goes bad,it will start there.

R
    Sleep with one eye open.

White lead paint

This is the stuff. I did my WRC barn door with it two years ago. Still looks great in spite of direct rain and snow. Use 3 coats.

Screen Shot 2021-10-10 at 11.49.00 AM.jpg

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Cetol baby

Sikkens Cetol. Waterbourne varnish system with 3 products (primer WP550, midcoat WM651, topcoat WF9810-03-25). One coat of primer and midcoat, 2 coats of the top coat. A friend of mine has run a long term (6 or 7 years now, I think) side-by-side study of half a dozen different wood finishes on oak panels, and the Cetol is the only one which hasn't failed.

OK, on re-thinking this, my previous post gave the specification I would use if having external joinery made for a client. This assumes a spray booth with extraction and some serious spray equipment, so it doesn't allow for this being a one-off door. Therefore, instead of the above I suggest 1 coat of Sikkens Cetol HLS base coat/ primer, followed by 2 coats of Cetol Filter 7 top coat. Apply thinly (but not thinned!) and rub down lightly between coats. This finish will last approximately 5 to 7 years before re-coating is required, and that will involved nothing more than a clean and a quick light rub of sandpaper, before applying another coat. Flexible, microporous and UV resistant.

I can’t find those Cetol products on this side of the pond. Are they sold in US under different names?

I said CETOL, not "waterborne " sumthinsumthin.
    3 coats of hideous orange, 2 coats of cetol gloss

These cherry doors are east facing in a covered porch. Direct sunlight all morning. After five years I just had to do a few small touch ups on the varnish.

35B0C5B6-21D4-424A-8DE2-F6BAAEFC4B04.jpg

Mortise and tenon and glued with g/flex. Finish is west system with 207 special clear hardener, three sprayed coats of Ephifanes wood finish gloss followed by two of matte.

Structurally and aesthetically they’re as good as the day I hung them. The only disappointing part is that with all that UV protecting finish the cherry is taking forever to darken.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    I said CETOL, not "waterborne " sumthinsumthin.
    Some of Sikkens Cetol range ARE waterborne. In fact, the ones I listed first are factory-applied water-borne finishes, and are the very best product they have.

ooooh ooooh pictures!
    Here is my tenish year old fir screen door, (okay I only have it up half the year),Cetol.
    This summer I added this antique oak toilet tank as a planter thing ,some Hallmark Holiday gift for Jan. Cetol
    Now, From the git go, oak might be my last choice for a screen door , a screen door generally gettin licks from both sun and rain, and oak being a wood that turns black when wet and is not all that stable . Big heavy main door..sure.
    Oh we gotta cameo of me

Quote Originally Posted by Mike-in-Suffolk View Post
    Some of Sikkens Cetol range ARE waterborne. In fact, the ones I listed first are factory-applied water-borne finishes, and are the very best product they have.
    Yes, Sikkens Cetol Marine is but one of their 'Cetol' line. Which is why I'm always careful to use all three words when I mention it. But there are others, designed for different applications. Porch/Deck. Siding. Log cabins. Etc. An excellent line all around (I hear from painters and even from their competitors), but the 'Marine' is the only one I've personally used.

I've built a number of exterior doors, and refinished a few more. And yes, the finish is but one part of the design. And, in the best of all possible worlds, it SHOULD be part of the design. So, not knowing what joinery was involved, whether any sill-slope was built in, etc., it's hard to specify intelligently. Knowing only what we know, I'd go with an oil/varnish hybrid. What, in #3, is referred to as a 'penetrating oil', or 'Danish Oil', or 'Tea Oil'. I doubt I'd go with any 'film finish'... like varnish.

Oh, and my favorite oil/varnish hybrid is Daly's Seafin Teak Oil. There are others, but make sure you're getting a good brand, as there are lots of crappy ones out there.
    Last edited by David G; 10-11-2021 at 12:46 PM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Thad View Post
    Repeated coats of cleaned raw linseed oil followed by varnish, or followed by oil paint.
    I'm with Thad. I'll add that you can warm the raw linseed oil and mix in some pine tar !
    Cheers,
    Mark