Results 1 to 27 of 27

Thread: r

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    114,096

    Default r

    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Eastern Shore
    Posts
    9,924

    Default Re: r

    Lanky. The rest of the lapstrake boat on the right would most likely be more appealing, at least to me.
    Steve Martinsen

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    20,779

    Default Re: r

    A little word play on the boatís name Paul?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    20,779

    Default Re: r

    Okay, too subtle for this crowd. The boat’s name is “Pirate”. arrr arrr arrr.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    114,096

    Default Re: r

    we got it
    also r class boat
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    20,779

    Default Re: r

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    we got it
    also r class boat
    I KNOW it’s an R class boat! AAAAARRRRRGHH!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    23,421

    Default Re: r

    Thatís a big ass model!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Almost in BC, CA
    Posts
    6,990

    Default Re: r

    CWB I do believe.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    magnolia springs, alabama u.s.a.
    Posts
    13,951

    Default Re: r

    When I went up to give a presentation on the Dragon class in the US many years ago the guys invited us to go out on 'Pirate', but I had taken up the whole weekend sailing and visiting with the sailors and I took my wife sightseeing in Seattle instead. We tried to get back but they'd already left when we came back from doing downtown. I did get to sit in the cockpit.

    Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bainbridge Island WA
    Posts
    4,349

    Default Re: r

    Quote Originally Posted by SMARTINSEN View Post
    Lanky. The rest of the lapstrake boat on the right would most likely be more appealing, at least to me.
    I think that is "Puffin" a modified Oughtred Wee Seal
    Steve

    If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    27,717

    Default Re: r

    Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    When I went up to give a presentation on the Dragon class in the US many years ago the guys invited us to go out on 'Pirate', but I had taken up the whole weekend sailing and visiting with the sailors and I took my wife sightseeing in Seattle instead. We tried to get back but they'd already left when we came back from doing downtown. I did get to sit in the cockpit.

    Mickey Lake
    You missed a hell of a ride. I've sailed the boat, it's faster than a 6 meter.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    114,096

    Default Re: r

    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    36,182

    Default Re: r

    Okay, post #12 is something I could appreciate. The waters here are too rough for it, but that's a good looking boat.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

    "Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter
    Posts
    20,361

    Default Re: r

    Harbormaster wanted me to tie up alongside Pirate some years ago...
    Eye don't thiiink soooo.....na ahhh no waaay

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    114,096

    Default Re: r

    lol
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    27,717

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    114,096

    Default Re: r

    thank you john
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    27,717

    Default Re: r

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    thank you john
    I think that's Gamecock, 1925 Herreshoff design.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    20,779

    Default Re: r

    Pirate (at left), first to finish again today, headed for the barn.

    273083CD-3883-43A7-9F70-65F91669CC20.jpg

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    29,298

    Default Re: r

    I've done a hundred races and cruised thousands of miles on a generically similar type of boat to Pirate, although older. Raced or sailed on another dozen .They aren't the sort of boat you sail to a foreign port on but are very capable in bad weather, track well, predictable , slow to heel when the Farrs and the Beneteaus are getting flattened. I drew the line at 40 knots for that boat, that's an end of cruise sail because some water is going to get through below in that, get some bedding wet perhaps. Did it many times though.
    You get wet in the cockpit is all.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    114,096

    Default Re: r

    Y1?

    surely she boasts heavier scantlings and her rig is stronger than pirate
    look at how slender pirate's spars are
    'course she's been optimized for light winds
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    29,298

    Default Re: r

    I'm talking about a general type. Recently any time a low freeboard skinny boat comes up here it gets implied you'll be doing something unsafe if you get aboard it.
    It's not true. They bust through waves, are more progressive in heeling usually due to high ballast ratios in the 45 to 50 % area, a lot more forgiving from a handling and tracking point of view and actually quite good sea boats overhangs and all. But you do get wet.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    20,779

    Default Re: r

    I wish I had a better camera. Pirate came across the line tonight close hauled, ironed, and moving. Made the others look like pickup trucks.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    27,717

    Default Re: r

    Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    I wish I had a better camera. Pirate came across the line tonight close hauled, ironed, and moving. Made the others look like pickup trucks.
    The mast in Pirate is the one from Sir Thom, which used to leave the six meters in the dust. Sir Thom got broken up, but the mast was transplanted into a Bristol Bay gillnetter, Spy, which sailed for years as an open boat with a cat rig using that mast, and was very fast. When I was a kid we met them in Friday Harbor. They were cruising with a boom tent and a kerosene stove. The boat was donated to the Center for Wooden Boats, the mast kept and used in rebuilding Pirate.

    Too bad we don't still have Sir Thom. She was built for Northwest conditions, and was faster in the light stuff.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2
    Posts
    13,817

    Default Re: r

    Pirate is a terrific boat.

    I thought you meant this kind of r
    # To make vectors "x" "y" "year" and "names"
    x <- c(2,3,7,9)
    y <- c(9,7,3,2)
    year <- 1990:1993
    names <- c("payal", "shraddha", "kritika", "itida")
    # Accessing the 1st and last elements of y --
    y[1]
    y[length(y)]

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    20,779

    Default Re: r

    Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    The mast in Pirate is the one from Sir Thom, which used to leave the six meters in the dust. Sir Thom got broken up, but the mast was transplanted into a Bristol Bay gillnetter, Spy, which sailed for years as an open boat with a cat rig using that mast, and was very fast. When I was a kid we met them in Friday Harbor. They were cruising with a boom tent and a kerosene stove. The boat was donated to the Center for Wooden Boats, the mast kept and used in rebuilding Pirate.

    Too bad we don't still have Sir Thom. She was built for Northwest conditions, and was faster in the light stuff.
    I remember Spy from the early Duck Dodge years. She was amazingly fast for such an unusual boat.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    27,717

    Default Re: r

    Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    I remember Spy from the early Duck Dodge years. She was amazingly fast for such an unusual boat.
    Fine lines for a Bristol Bay boat. Never got to sail her. Admirable, the CWB Bristol Bay gillnetter, was a type known as a 'barnacle box,' large capacity but slow compared to the other BB sailing gillnetters.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •