Thread: The Boats of Iain Oughtred - book project

Default The Boats of Iain Oughtred - book project

I am working with Iain Oughtred and others on a comprehensive record of his boat designs, to include drawings, design commentaries, the experiences of builders and sailors, and of course photographs. I expect the book to appear from Lodestar Books during 2022. Could you contribute a previously unpublished account of your experience with your Iain Oughtred boat – such as the build, rowing, a day-sail, a longer cruise or maybe a noteworthy race – and/or good photos of her, whether static or under sail or oars? All contributions employed will be credited, and paid for on a page-rate basis. Please PM me if you are interested in being a part of this project.
    Last edited by Dick Wynne; 10-09-2021 at 06:26 PM. Reason: add 'rowing'

Default Re: The Boats of Iain Oughtred - book project

I have no contributions but would love to buy a copy when it’s available. Sounds great.
    - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Life is short. Go boating now!

I'd love to help, but the story of my Kotik build has already been on Watercraft!

Good luck with the project.

Ewan
    Ewan G Kennedy

Now I wish I had an Oughtred boat... Sounds like it'll be a great book. Dick, have you contacted James McMullen? He's a good writer, and while he's disappeared overseas, you might convince him to contribute something. I might be able to help you find contact information for him if you need it--let me know.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Now (once again) I wish't I'd built that MacGregor I'd been smitten by back three decades ago, 15'-8" version.

Or his 12' Acorn, before I fell onto the concept of canoes fitted with sails.

Anyway... put me on your list please for a 1st Edition from the run you have going, maybe even with Iain's autograph if that can be worked out please.
    Last edited by sp_clark; 10-11-2021 at 08:48 PM.

Photo-wise it would certainly be worth getting hold of a copy of the shot by Eric Michaels of Gavin and Steven Bauer's lug-rigged Elf up against the fog bank. I used that one (with permission) for a CD cover a few years ago. What a neat photo!

wake cover.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ewan G Kennedy View Post
    I'd love to help, but the story of my Kotik build has already been on Watercraft!

Good luck with the project.

Ewan
    Many thanks for all your comments & suggestions. Ewan, when I said 'unpublished' I didn't mean all the book's articles and photos would be new -- that would be unrealistic. I already have most of the relevant articles from WC, including your lovely one on Kotik, there is a great wealth of it which could flesh out the book's design drawings and information. I will be contacting some WC (and maybe WB) contributors, from way back when until now, with a view to including their material (for a modest consideration) to illustrate particular designs, and you may be one of them! WC's Pete Greenfield is supportive of the project and the mag will be prominently credited for its assistance. In passing, magazines rarely own the copyright in their contributed articles, the fee they pay is generally for reproduction in that issue, and the author/photographer remains free to adapt or place the material elsewhere after a decent interval. In a book would seem to be a good place.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bradshaw View Post
    Photo-wise it would certainly be worth getting hold of a copy of the shot by Eric Michaels of Gavin and Steven Bauer's lug-rigged Elf up against the fog bank. I used that one (with permission) for a CD cover a few years ago. What a neat photo!

wake cover.jpg
    Thanks Todd! I'll look into it. In passing, The original Elf (Iain's own) lives not far from me, on the East Coast.

Nigel Calder's first Nada now carries an Oughtred Mouse on her cabin top. I know this because she moors near me, her owner is a friend, and I gave him the Mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by johngsandusky View Post
    Nigel Calder's first Nada now carries an Oughtred Mouse on her cabin top. I know this because she moors near me, her owner is a friend, and I gave him the Mouse.
    You are the sort of friend & neighbour to have. I need something similar for Emerald, have Paul Gartside's 7ft pram plans, might need to raise the boom a little, if it doesn't cause a cascade of sail recutting & gaff lengthening.

Emerald August 2021 - 1024.jpg

Dick,
    I never built an Oughtred boat but I just finished an Elf spritsail, and I have a Tirriksail almost done on my table and also a kit for a CY mainsail. Bert van Baar, De Bootbouwschool, hosted an Iain Oughtred weekend some years ago. Iain was there too as was Kathy Mansfield and she has plenty of great pictures of the event. I was there with an aluminium CY that Rob Bouma built and Iain joined me for a ride.
    A friend , Onno van Sandick, launched his CY in 2002 and took her to Sweden for the Eka Raid and he has a few things to tell about it. Nic Compton took great pictures of her there. I you wish I could write a contribution. And I want the book. Frank van Zoest
    www.oarandsail.nl

Looking good there, Dick!

Quote Originally Posted by FF View Post
    Dick,
    I never built an Oughtred boat but I just finished an Elf spritsail, and I have a Tirriksail almost done on my table and also a kit for a CY mainsail. Bert van Baar, De Bootbouwschool, hosted an Iain Oughtred weekend some years ago. Iain was there too as was Kathy Mansfield and she has plenty of great pictures of the event. I was there with an aluminium CY that Rob Bouma built and Iain joined me for a ride.
    A friend , Onno van Sandick, launched his CY in 2002 and took her to Sweden for the Eka Raid and he has a few things to tell about it. Nic Compton took great pictures of her there. I you wish I could write a contribution. And I want the book. Frank van Zoest
    www.oarandsail.nl
    Thanks Frank, Kathy and I are in touch as you might imagine!

Quote Originally Posted by Thad View Post
    Looking good there, Dick!
    Thanks Thad. I like the rustic effect of the plank seams. I am reluctant to fair the planking more because the pitch pine moves a lot when ashore, in fact it cups like an old British Railways sandwich, and we'd progressively end up losing it all. I'm finally getting a week on board at the end of the month, for a potter on the river, just in time before we haul her for the winter. Bob Comlay (ex-Tilman hand) is coming. We'll struggle to find him some ice. Next year...