Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hearing test? Hearing aids?

Question Hearing test? Hearing aids?

Going to get hearing test and most likely some hearing aids. Whatís the best test and what has worked for you?

Iíve read some of the threads you have posted on subject but would like to get your latest viewpoints. Thanks.
    Choose wisely -Treat kindly...

A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth...

S/V ORCA 38' Herreshoff Ketch

Default Re: Hearing test? Hearing aids?

The only hearing test I've ever seen is the one where they play random frequencies at varying amplitudes testing your response to hearing them. This works OK, but in my case I have several frequencies that are just gone. I'd love to see a test sliding through the frequencies at a fixed amplitude to identify the missing areas and identify them better than a spot check does. Good luck with your testing!

After the test, they will show you some hearing aids and offer you a trial use. As a test to show you that they are doing something, they might crumble up some paper to create a rustling sound. It will sound loud to you. Beware, this is not an adequate test of the aid's effectiveness or worth. In general, just beware of the process. I've had audiologists who were not many steps above the old school used car salesmen.

Nevertheless, you are doing the right thing. Just be cautious, is my experience.

Jeff

Mine was like #3.

Thumbs up Re: Hearing test? Hearing aids?

I can hear people but I can't understand what they're saying.
    Factory noise did a number on my hearing.
    Not to mention some of those early rock concerts I went to.
    I found myself reading lips until the mask thing hit.
    Now I'm confused most of the time.
    Glad to hear....uh read you're getting it done Spin.
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

My advice would be to vet the best audiologist you can find, who is aware of and uses the latest tech. The technology is changing rapidly and places like Costco can be providing previous generation hardware. For testing, do a frequency test, a word recognition test, and a voice versus background noise test at least. I’m going in for my regular six month test again Friday, (free for life, part of my initial purchase.)

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    My advice would be to vet the best audiologist you can find, who is aware of and uses the latest tech. The technology is changing rapidly and places like Costco can be providing previous generation hardware. For testing, do a frequency test, a word recognition test, and a voice versus background noise test at least. I’m going in for my regular six month test again Friday, (free for life, part of my initial purchase.)
    No change at my end, but I strongly agree with the above.

They really DO make a difference, and the newest ones have now reached the level where the good outweighs the remaining quirks/failings.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I’ve had two tests. 5 years apart. The test at Costco was far superior to the one at the audiologist at Tacoma General. That may be due to the advances in testing during those 5 years. The test took an hour and covered tones, language, gibberish sounds, etc. The results were used to program the aids. Two weeks later, a half hour fitting and testing with the aids in place. Three year warranty, they’ll replace lost aids 1 time.
    Im pleased.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    I’ve had two tests. 5 years apart. The test at Costco was far superior to the one at the audiologist at Tacoma General. That may be due to the advances in testing during those 5 years. The test took an hour and covered tones, language, gibberish sounds, etc. The results were used to program the aids. Two weeks later, a half hour fitting and testing with the aids in place. Three year warranty, they’ll replace lost aids 1 time.
    Im pleased.
    Huge tech changes in those five years.

What company gives regular tests every six months for free (included with initial purchase)? I’m not very keen on paying $6,000 to $10,000 hearing aids. Tried on some $4,000 ones few years ago and couldn’t stand them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Im pleased.
    Called Costco. They don’t have an audiologist. Said that the person doing the testing has been certified with the State Of Alaska. Would he/she be as knowledgeable as an audiologist?

Huge tech changes in those five years.
    Yep.

First pair prescribed in 2007, worked pretty well. Siemens branded, pricey. Lasted until 2017 when I needed better to pass a CDL exam. They were going one way in performance, my hearing was going the other way. So I went to local health care provider, got a set of Starkey brand. Use an app on my iPhone to control 'em rather than a separate device. Also runs audio from my phone through 'em, and output from music playing on phone if I choose that.

The new set also has a tinnitus-mitigating program which seems to help a little with that but that's a subjective opinion of course. Had one 'receiver' fail a month back, replacement cost $80... on me, not insurance.

Going in for follow-up hearing test 11/1, see how much my hearing's declined since the last comprehensive evaluation.

And that 'garbling' referred to is from loss of frequencies in the range of human speech. You maybe hear something's being said but you've lost the ability to hear the frequencies that let you make out what's being said.

Quote Originally Posted by Spin_Drift View Post
    Called Costco. They don’t have an audiologist. Said that the person doing the testing has been certified with the State Of Alaska. Would he/she be as knowledgeable as an audiologist?
    No. Audiologist is a licensed medical professional. A technician can be certified but isn't going to be a viable substitute.

I was trained and certified, licensed as a pharmacy technician for a few years but I wasn't a pharmacist by any stretch. Same difference as an optometrist vs. ophthalmologist.
    Last edited by sp_clark; 10-06-2021 at 07:33 AM.

Remember, if you go in for a free hearing test, you owe them nothing. You don't have to buy their hearing aids. If you're in doubt at all, go visit another place.

One's particular loss can determine the need for an audiologist vs audio tech. My particular loss is severe enough that I want the very best help I can afford. That means an audiologist and a good one, at that. That said, several of my friends here have been fit by Costco and are happy with their aids. However, all of them have a moderate hearing loss. They can hear what's being said in the same conversation that I'm in, but I don't hear/understand what's being said. They can all hear most bird song while I haven't heard a bird in over thirty years.

Jeff

One thing that is not talked about here is how important it is to wear them all the time. If you have a lot of hearing loss, at first they will drive you crazy. Your brain will soon adjust to the new sounds you are hearing and believe me you will hear things you have not heard in years. Keyboards, eating crunchy foods and a lot of other things that you just don't want to hear.
    "para todo mal, mezcal, y para todo bien tambiťn" (for everything bad, mezcal, and for everything good, as well.)

I was very pleased with the whole experience of getting mine thru Kaiser. The audiologist was patient, thorough, clear, helpful, and informative. And the gear works fine. My out of pocket, as mentioned, was $2,400 for the top tier but one model. Would have been $4,400 for a non Kaiser member.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Thanks everyone for your info and input.

Thanks everyone for your info and input.
    Let us know what you decide. It’s a good thing to do. I’m somewhat of an introvert anyway, but before hearing aids I was really starting to drop out. Social situations where I had to smile and nod and pretend I understood things were getting really difficult so I would avoid them at all costs.

Let us know what you decide. It’s a good thing to do. I’m somewhat of an introvert anyway, but before hearing aids I was really starting to drop out. Social situations where I had to smile and nod and pretend I understood things were getting really difficult so I would avoid them at all costs.
    My daughter told me one day she could tell when I hadn't heard what she said because I would nod and smile.
    without freedom of speech, we wouldn't know who the idiots are.

A couple of weeks into wearing mine, and they rock.

If I had to post a negative comment, it's that the audio processing introduces a tiny (milliseconds?) delay into the high pitches that I need, so sometimes it feels like that 'rustling paper' is further away than I know it is. If that makes sense.

But otherwise, I'm just onto my second set of batteries and I'm totally sold. As is, I suspect, my family, who no longer need to bellow through intervening doorways.

Andy
    "In case of fire ring Fellside 75..."

Checking (googling) different hearing aid brands to see what is available. Seems like everything I’m interested in is the top of the line ones.

What are the best ones out there?

Checking (googling) different hearing aid brands to see what is available. Seems like everything I’m interested in is the top of the line ones.

-> An older relative likes her Siemens Signio Cellion 7. Not sure if they are still available. She doesn't use all of the functions the things have but is very happy with them. They are rechargeable, which is an added benefit. Aids like that need proper programming for your specific issues. It is not just the model, it is also the analysis and the programming. And at the very end possibly a bit of interactive tweaking of the programming.

-> Kind is another brand well regarded here.
    Last edited by Henning 4148; 10-07-2021 at 06:20 AM.

Mine are Oticon Minirites, but they are four years old. When I google them now I see several variations on the model and I’m not sure what the differences are. I know that rechargable vs batteries is one change. The battery change every five days is a minor nuisance but the rechargables have their own minor nuisance as you must have the charger with you every night. Might be less nuisance however.

On such matters, I don't tend to 'do my own research'. I go to the professionals and let them make a couple of recommendations and we go from there. In my case Kaiser had done the screening for me, carried a couple of lines, and recommended the Phonak brand, Audeo model I mentioned elsewhere. I'm fairly pleased, but have no basis for comparison.
    Last edited by David G; 10-07-2021 at 10:17 AM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I have had Oticons, the battery version for the first five years, and the rechargeable for about the last two. I much prefer docking mine in the charger at night to replacing the batteries every few days. I haven't yet had an instance of it running out of charge. When I took my first pair in for a repair of a broken loose connection, the VA audiologist who had fitted and programmed and tweaked for my high frequency loss, told me I was up for a replacement at five years. They made the repair anyway and so I have a back-up pair in case of a power outage situation.

My Wife insisted that my hearing was getting worse and that it was the cause of some conflict due to misunderstanding. I maintained She needed to revisit how to communicate better. Like making good eye contact, introducing a concept and not mumbling. Oh, wait that was me. Fortunately for me, the USAF tested and documented my near perfect hearing when I enlisted and then again at my separation physical, and my primary job in the USAF involved wearing headphones and listening through intense static to record Chinese radio traffic, so it was no job getting the VA to bless me with the hearing aids, and not even a copay, after doing their own current testing.

I wouldn't be able to afford these. The doc mentioned they're about twenty-five hundred each side. The doc did all the choosing, I didn't have to research the market or the tech, and lo and behold I got that 'now I know what I been missin' thing. I can hear sounds I haven't heard in ages, I started hearing a clicking when I walked and realized it was the tips of my shoelaces bouncing on the tops of my shoes.

The best thing is the Bluetooth. I can hear all sorts of things in music I've been listening to for forty some years and never knew what the lyrics were. I can hear the various discreet instruments with new clarity.

I don't rout my phone calls or phone functions like the alarms through the aids, though. I don't wanna deal with an external mic for my end of the call.

The very first day I had my new bluetooth aids, a sunny Sunday afternoon, sitting on my porch chillin,' the phone rang. Just as I was dragging it out of my pocket to answer, and in the moment when I was trying to remember what to do when the phone was in my ears instead of my hand, a door-to-door salesman came up the sidewalk, and yelled at me to ask whether I wanted to buy some solar power for the house. Now, mind you, we are completely and totally overshadowed by tall, mature tree canopy and no solar is going to get through without an eighty foot attenna or something. So the guy is yelling, I'm trying to figure out the phone, holding my hand up to the guy to try to ward off his bold attack, when suddenly the caller is on, and beginning with 'Mr. Mahan? This Doctor...?' It's the VA surgeon(!) calling me personally (!) on Sunday (!) She's calling to consult about my readiness for the scheduled hernia surgery the coming week. But she's talking to me in the middle of my head, and right when she starts, the guy is yelling, I'm confused, and I have to yell back at the guy on the sidewalk, "shut the Fck up! I'm on the phone, gawdammit!" Then an immediate apology to Doctor surgeon "oh, not you, doctor You don't have to shut the Fck up..." The VA surprises me sometimes.

The best thing about the Bluetooth is walking around, alone or among people, shopping or panning for gold or whatever, and hearing the perfect music in the middle of your head. Like having your own theme music. Benny Goodman in the famous first ever jazz concert at Carnegie Hall, in nineteen-thirty-eigh, performing Sing, Sing, Sing.

"Momma, look at that man. What's he doing?"

"Don't stare, child. It looks sorta like dancing..."
    Last edited by Jim Mahan; 10-07-2021 at 10:14 AM.

I agree on the Bluetooth. It’s like having multi thousand dollar AirPods always on and without the white plastic toys hanging out of your ears.

Audio being routed via bluetooth into my ears has made phone conversations possible again. Worth the price of admission all by itself. Now, if some manufacturer... any manufacturer, would make a VHF (edited from vhs... sheesh) radio (preferably handheld) with the same audio capability... I'd buy it.

Jeff
    Last edited by jpatrick; 10-07-2021 at 01:30 PM.

"What did you say, Dear?"
    \"Of all the things I\'ve lost, I miss my mind the most.\"

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    Audio being routed via bluetooth into my ears has made phone conversations possible again. Worth the price of admission all by itself. Now, if some manufacturer... any manufacturer, would make a VHF (edited from vhs... sheesh) radio (preferably handheld) with the same audio capability... I'd buy it.

Jeff
    Boy Howdy. Iíve asked every radio rep at every boat show and chandlery around here for several years about when is someone going to make a Bluetooth VHF. I really thought it was going to be right around the corner. Because of engine noise in my pilothouse, I wear Bose noise canceling headphones. I can talk on the phone or listen to music or podcasts just fine. But I CANNOT use the VHF.

Maybe you can appear to audiological clinic to get an advice which one to choose that comes up to your budget and your expectation
    Last edited by matthewfoxx; 12-02-2021 at 12:01 PM.

Thank you all. I got some. I’ll have to look at the brand and model number later when I’m upstairs and let you know. They are small and seems to be high-tech and cost $5000.

Now I know what you meant about the sound of dog’s nails noise on the wooden floors, and everything else. Takes some getting used to. Tomorrow I’m driving 250 miles to Anchorage for my first audiologist appointment since getting them. We’ve had a blizzard last 48 hours and more than a foot and a half of snow where we live. More on the passes. Driving back home next day.

Thanks again

Glad you got them and it sounds like you got good ones through an audiologist. Yes, they will take weeks and more to get used to, but well worth sticking it out. Hope you have as good a result as I’ve had.

The hearing aids choice shouldn't be done out of nowhere. Professional audiologist should help you to make a right choice.
    After this choice is done, hearing aid supplies online can be purchased. It is cheaper in some online shops and of course you don't need to drive anywhere just to buy battery, domes or cleaning supplies.
    Last edited by mike9199; 09-30-2022 at 12:08 PM.

I have an app on my phone that allows me to adjust the sound settings to suit the environment I am in. Conversation in a crowd used to be impossible, but now it's possible.
    without freedom of speech, we wouldn't know who the idiots are.

There are hearing tests that can be done on a cell phone. And there is a hearing aid app on Iphones that uses earbuds.
    Life is complex.

I hear that this has been put into place already in many places, but mid October is not bad.

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/pres...ions-americans

I do apologize, I didn't check Mike's location.
    Last edited by ShorelineJohn; 09-27-2022 at 05:42 PM.