Thread: Sculling Fun in France

Default Sculling Fun in France

This looks like great fun...

Default Re: Sculling Fun in France

Finastkind.

Gottabe great cardio workouts...

I like the lock off-center to starboard. That way I can stand with my feet fore and aft and easy to look ahead. The oar loom is out over the starboard gunnel and the blade is about centered. A little pitch differential and it's all good. And I can scull facing dead forward with just my right arm.

You'd need a beer after that!

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    You'd need a beer after that!
    Yes,while congratulating yourself on your core strength improvement!

I have been looking at some articles on these boats via the miracle of Google Translate and they are claiming some pretty impressive speeds. Not so much the peak of around 5.5 knots but 3-4 knots is mentioned as an easy cruising speed, which strikes me as very good for a vessel which does not resemble a toothpick but can be used as a practical dayboat.

I was out earlier this week in my Waterlust canoe, powered by a Mirage drive alone. Strava tells me I managed close to 11 knots max. which impresses me.

At 17í long & 3í beam., 325 lbs with me aboard I couldnít manage that for hours on end but half or a bit more ought to be comfortable.

Be starting build of their ama accessory later today from plans. At my age a bit of reserve stabilityís a useful addition when going out under sail.

Neither a toothpick nor practical dayboat itís an endeavor (sailing canoe) Iíd long desired to explore.
    Last edited by sp_clark; 10-09-2021 at 12:34 PM.

That's pretty good - the world record K1 sprint over 200m is 11.3 knots.

What’re the rules for that? K1’s the craft they’re sculling?

Pic I’d attached seems missing… hmmm… hope this one’s upright:

23141836-407E-4C9A-8006-D52F2095F835.jpg
    That’s with ketch rig, first time out a month ago.

Here is an example of a K1 sprint over 200m. The winning speed was 11.1 knots (from a standing start)

OK, Google tells me that’s a solo kayak discipline: K1’s solo, K2’s w/2 paddling… right?

Nothing I’ve encountered before, but we’re getting kinda off-topic. Apologies to OP!

'Scull' is both a noun and a verb with several different meanings, all connected vaguely by the idea that an ora or two oars or something that acts like oars. Google has a useful entry:

noun: scull; plural noun: sculls;

each of a pair of small oars used by a single rower.

an oar placed over the stern of a boat to propel it by a side-to-side motion, reversing the blade at each turn.

a light, narrow boat propelled with a scull or a pair of sculls.

"their current training program involves two outings a day at the weekend in their single sculls"

a race between boats in which each participant uses a pair of oars.
    "he competed for the cross-country team and later concentrated on single sculls"

verb: scull; 3rd person present: sculls; past tense: sculled; past participle: sculled; gerund or present participle: sculling

propel a boat with sculls.

"he built boats and taught the gentlemen how to scull"

transport (someone) in a boat propelled with sculls.
    "she had to be sculled through the floods"

(of an aquatic animal) propel itself with fins or flippers.
    "the limbs were modified into efficient paddles, perfectly adapted for sculling through the water"

In the OP a scull (one oar) is being used to skull the boat, which boat is not a scull. The scull (oar) can be anything from a plane working oar, such as I use, to a highly developed and deceptivly simple single purpose thing like the Chinese Yuloh.

Quote Originally Posted by sp_clark View Post
    I was out earlier this week in my Waterlust canoe, powered by a Mirage drive alone. Strava tells me I managed close to 11 knots max. which impresses me.

At 17’ long & 3’ beam., 325 lbs with me aboard I couldn’t manage that for hours on end but half or a bit more ought to be comfortable.

Be starting build of their ama accessory later today from plans. At my age a bit of reserve stability’s a useful addition when going out under sail.

Neither a toothpick nor practical dayboat it’s an endeavor (sailing canoe) I’d long desired to explore.
    Peak readings on all GPS trackers I've used are fiction. Move the device forward in your hand and it can add a momentary 2 or 3 knots, for example.
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    Peak readings on all GPS trackers I've used are fiction. Move the device forward in your hand and it can add a momentary 2 or 3 knots, for example.
    I suspect you’re right with that evaluation. LIDAR ought to be more appropriate while entirely outside my needs.

My intention was to capture my path’s record; seeing estimated velocity was unexpected & not to be taken as an accurate value.
    Last edited by sp_clark; 10-10-2021 at 05:12 PM.

Many GPSes average speed and track over one or two seconds. This is short enough to show a surge coming down a wave or even a hand movement. I prefer to adjust the unit to a half minute for navigation and use a water based system, paddle wheel or anodes, for measuring sail trim.