Thread: Norwegian Pram - inwale material

Default Norwegian Pram - inwale material

Working on sorting out a cut list and pricing for materials and noticed something that didn't make sense to me.

On the lumber list, the inwales are recommended for fir, but the outwales for fir or oak. Is there any reason the inwale shouldn't be oak? Transoms, frames, knees, and cleats are all specified as buildable in oak. Is it a weight consideration? Something else?

It seems like I could make everything out of cedar and oak or fir and oak. I'm not sure why a mix of the 3 would be used if the builder had the option.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: Norwegian Pram - inwale material

Only thing I can think of would be oak is higher maintainance ,in terms of remaining nice looking. All the nooks n corners turning black and stuff.

Makes sense. Visually it'd either add or take away some contrast on the gunwales if they're left bright. Oak/Cedar/Oak might look nice. If it's a mostly arbitrary choice I'll probably go with whatever is locally cheapest.

Fir is adequately strong and easier to spring into place than oak of the same scantlings.
    Oak will be easier to wrap around the outside of the boat, and I expect the design specifies smaller scantlings there.
    Also the out wale needs to be tough to withstand the abuse that the inwale will not see, so fir will be fine there.
    The frames are either sawn from compass timber or steamed. All other internal oak components are sawn and not bent.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Good points on the ease of springing and thickness. Inwales are specified as 1" x 1-1/4" and the outwales as 1-1/4" x 5/8". There's not much sweep in either, so it might not be an issue...

For the same dimension fir is about 2/3 the weight. It’s also generally easier to buy a long, straight, clear piece of softwood so you can make it out of one piece for a fairer profile.
    Last edited by Hugh Conway; 10-04-2021 at 03:10 PM.