Thread: What do folks here recommend for a replacement table saw fence?

Default What do folks here recommend for a replacement table saw fence?

I've got a Menard's 10" saw (private label ?) with a 2hp motor that is used at least once a week for some small job, and occasionally for most of a day. The original fence is crap. Fortunately it has a pair of screw knobs for securing both ends to the table, but it takes a minute or so to square the fence up. I'd like a decent fence that can be secured by just one lever on the front, however, it must be square. I see a few on the internet for $300 +, but would like to spend less if possible.

Default Re: What do folks here recommend for a replacement table saw fence?

I got the saw at ReTool a few years ago for $50 and put a castered base under it.

https://housegrail.com/best-table-saw-fence-reviews/

- good place to start.

I bought a Biesemeyer decades ago for my venerable Craftsman 10"-er.

Not sure if this latest iteration is better or not but it sure is more $$$!!

A lot may depend on what provisions your Menards saw has for mounting whatever you decide to go with.

With that Bessy I bought I didn't like how it touched my saw's table so the backside angle iron that came with served as a fine platform for a small caster (just visible in one of the pics in that post I linked to above) I fitted to carry the fences's back end just clear of the table surface.
    Last edited by sp_clark; 10-02-2021 at 11:01 AM.

Unfortunately Biesemeyer is no longer in business. But they established a style of tee square type fence that is used by many others. If you are at all interested in building your own, take a look at VerySuperCool Tools. A really awkward name for a pretty nice product.

https://youtu.be/wEHkTncb3Wc

Yep, agree 100%. There’s better stuff out there now (need to check out vsctools.com!) and watching YT videos following the one your link brings up really shows how ‘economics’ affected tool design specs since I bought my stuff decades ago.

My Bessy’s front tube is heavy-walled, not the 1/16” wall stuff he’s talking about. Obviously later production had some cost-savings that affected durability & performance until whomever last ‘owned’ the brand gave up on it.

And thanks for that link! The vid that followed it gave me an idea for a transparent blade guard / dust-catcher I want to look for more about. Seems to be hinged at the right side, drops down over blade when needed.

I bought a Powermatic 10" saw about 15 years ago and it came with a T-square Accu Fence. It's ben perfect since day one. They can be bought separately but are a bit spendy.

IMG_1152.jpg

I bought an “Accusquare” for my old delta contractor saw about 15 years ago. Been very happy with it. It’s an aluminum extrusion with a t-track on both sides and the top. Makes it very easy to add jigs, sacrificial fences and so on. I have a router table built into the rightside extension table and the fence easily serves that too.

https://www.mulecab.com/tablesaw.html

Only aftermarket fence I ever installed was another brand now defunct.

But I've used several of the Vega fences with good result.

Here's a selection to consider -- https://www.woodworkmag.com/aftermar...le-saw-fences/
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Here in the UK, Axminster sell replacement fence that's got good reviews. Seen them on bandsaws and table saws. Runs on ball bearings! And it's in stock.

https://www.axminstertools.com/axmin...xoCmPIQAvD_BwE

I see Kreg also makes one for bandsaws that you could use.

Here in the UK we're supposed to have an auxiliary fence that stops just after the first teeth to avoid kickback rather than use a fence that goes all the way across.

I think for the amount you're using your table saw, a new one is probably overdue. The Dewalt seems to be built around a great rack and pinion fence. I think it's the battery ones that have a quiet induction motor? but more spendy. They're alot cheaper in the USA than here though I think.

I have one of the DeWalts with the rack and pinion fence, I think the 745. It probably wasn't much more than $300 new. The rack & pinion fence works very well and it is not difficult to tune the saw up up so the fence and blade are parallel to each other.

I recently purchased a fence to retrofit to my old Atlas table saw. Tried a setup built out of 80/20 extrusions from a company called JBuilds (you can find him easily searching 80/20 table saw fence). I like the modularity of the whole thing but it has too much flex in the clamp area for my taste. Iíll be modifying it to replicate a more robust beisemeyer style clamping method.

Many Thanks to ron II and to y'awl: I watched the vsct videos and will go with one of their T-square saw fences. I like that it does not have to clamp to the back of the table as the original fence presently does on my saw.

It might be less expensive to buy a different used table saw with a better fence and sell your saw. I bought a Powermatic "Artisan's" saw last summer for $150. The fence is quite decent.
    Last edited by oldsub86; 10-13-2021 at 09:38 PM.