X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StevenBauer
    LPBC member
    • Jan 2000

Manchin

I just read he founded a coal company that his son still owns. That he gets $500,000 a year in dividends from this company. Is that true?
  • Norman Bernstein
    Liberaltarian
    • Nov 2004

Re: Manchin

From what I read, it is... he's tied to coal in a big way, and to be fair, there's a lot of pro-coal sentiment in West Virginia. Some of it is hoping against hope to revive a business that is dying, and deserves to die, due to not only environmental concerns, but economic disadvantage relative to renewable energy.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Comment

• oznabrag
      Historical Illiterate
      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Norman Bernstein
      From what I read, it is... he's tied to coal in a big way, and to be fair, there's a lot of pro-coal sentiment in West Virginia. Some of it is hoping against hope to revive a business that is dying, and deserves to die, due to not only environmental concerns, but economic disadvantage relative to renewable energy.
      I'm no expert, but I do have it on good authority that West Virginia contains some of the world's largest and best deposits of metallurgical grade coal.
      Rattling the teacups.

Comment

• Ted Hoppe
        Irritant, Level 2
        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Ted Hoppe
        Machin is enjoying the political celebrity. He gets to play kingmaker daily on Cable news thereby having more power than he would otherwise have. He is on nearly 7 days a week. Why would be ever give it up? Why would we even know his name if he did not play the game. I have to beleive he gets so much joy, pleasure, cash and profile than the usual toady senator would normally get. Fame and power are the ultimate aphrodisiac - i am sure he get more than his fair share.
        Without friends none of this is possible.

Comment

• Peerie Maa
          Old Grey Inquisitive One
          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by oznabrag
          I'm no expert, but I do have it on good authority that West Virginia contains some of the world's largest and best deposits of metallurgical grade coal.
          Soon to be rendered obsolete by hydrogen smelting. As discussed somewhere on here earlier.
          It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
          The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Comment

Working...