Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oops, I've dragged home another stray

Default Oops, I've dragged home another stray

It was just down the road and I got it for $20.

Skin on frame, and it appears to be Kauri stringers with ply frames and other bits.
    The decks need replacing, but everything else looks pretty good.
    The front deck being almost completely detached made it easy to check the bow for rot, and I'm assuming the rear of it is in the same condition.
    [IMG

It is 4.3 metres long and 0.63 metres wide. That is 14 feet and 2 feet.

Default Re: Oops, I've dragged home another stray

[IMG

I now need to figure out how to fix it.
    The canvas is under a timber bead around the gunwales that is screwed on, so that needs to be removed first.
    Then I need to get some suitable canvas.
    What weight should I be looking for?
    I'm guessing from following threads here the canvas will be tacked onto the gunwale,
    Shrunk with hot water,
    Then painted with ?

I'll refinish the timber varnish before replacing the canvas, once I've check the rear half for water damage.
    It is bone dry inside, so that is a good start.

I like it! Reminds of an old vinyl Folbot Super that I used last year. I would study SOF techniques and choose your favorite.

^ A Percy Blandford canoe, most probably a PBK 26. https://www.clarkcraft.com/cgi-local...b074c89ebe6c36 You might also need a copy of Percy's book https://www.amazon.co.uk/Canoes-Cano.../dp/071880130X

Anyway googling Percy Blandford kayak will be bring a shed load of results, the most useful ones being those on the Song of the Paddle forum http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/

I found this link on how to canvas a PBK some time ago https://web.archive.org/web/20120601...ayak/home.html clink on the pdf for chapter 6.

Also for a how to build see here https://www.woodworkforums.com/archi...p/t-51890.html and click here for the pdf of the build log http://www.mediafire.com/?jwwz19dldjm

Nick

My thoughts as well.
    Although those ply seat components do not look like typical Blandford.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I would cover it with the polyester or nylon used for pretty much all SOF kayaks these days. The nylon is tougher but fussy to finish. The poly will heat shrink and take most any paint.
    -Dave

Nice find.
    My wife forever worries that I'll drag home another orphan boat.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Thanks for the likely identification of the type.
    Not much info on the sales website for them.
    It weighed in at 19kg with no decks on.
    I had a sit in it and it's a bit tight across the hips and shoe size, but I'll be able to wedge myself in there pretty good.

I got the rear deck off to check the timber condition and it looks barely used as the stringers are bare timber and in great condition.

It's now hoisted into the roof of the garage as my next project.
    I need to get it ready to go to the sounds on deck of the big boat for Xmas.

Thanks for the likely identification of the type.
    Not much info on the website for them.
    It weighed in at 19kg with no decks on.
    I had a sit in it and it's a bit tight across the hips and shoe size, but I'll be able to wedge myself in there pretty good.

I got the rear deck off to check the timber condition and it looks barely used as the stringers are bare timber and in great condition.

It's now hoisted into the roof of the garage as my next project.
    I need to get it ready to go to the sounds on deck of the big boat for Xmas.

I got the Paper tiger back together ready for racing, and delivered to the yacht club yesterday.
    I had a bit of time, so I got the kayak out of the rafter and onto the saw horses.
    I started removing bits that can be varnished and the 1/2 round trim covering the canvas where it attaches to the ply cockpit.

I found it a bit spongy underneath the second one trim piece, so will replace both sides to keep them looking the same once finished.
    The cockpit was opened up sometime in the past to allow someone to fit I think.
    I can go back to the original shape without the cutouts, but will make sure I can fit before deciding.
    It's put together with steel staples, so I'll re-staple it with the stainless ones I've ordered.
    I'm searching for 10 oz polyester for decking without any success yet, but haven't tried too hard.
    I have found the correct 10 oz cotton duck in an art supply store, but would rather use poly.

I've had success with a SOF kayak sheathed with heavyweight cotton duck canvas. Rolled it out over the deck (having done the hull before) and let it drape all round - and left it like that for a few days. Then sprayed it with water until thoroughly damp (but not dripping wet) and left it to dry a bit (a day or so in a UK winter in an unheated garage). Then tacked it down to the gunwales with SS staples while stretching it athwartships by hand. Then dried it with a hairdrier - it came out very taut.

I then coated it with cheapo 'traditional yacht varnish' (I used Johnson's - a UK brand), thinning the first couple of coats to help absorption and went on until the weave was pretty well filled. If I recall correctly, that turned out to be seven coats.

About ten years later, she's still going strong without anything more than touching up a few scrapes and wear patches.(though storage under cover helps, I think).
    Nick

Thanks for detailing your method of using cotton duck canvas. I've watched a youtube clip of canvas being installed as well, and though it was quite different to your method, I can understand both working.
    I like the idea of using heavy polyester as the rot problem is eliminated, but your 10 years of use mitigates that.
    Lots of posts mention using polyester, but no actual method of using that I've found yet.

That cockpit looks butchered, I'll see if I can dig out some pictures from a P.B. book.

There are some on the interweb

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dwstucke/14247233521
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

^ The stern deck is different as well. It is making me doubt whether it is a PB design.

There are various ways to attach a polyester cover. The traditionalists will wrap the entire boat in the fabric - it can be had in 60" widths - and sew it up the center of the deck. Then heat shrink and seal. But if the deck is done separately it can be glued and/or stapled to the frame.

The polyester will give you a lighter boat than the canvas will for a given level of durability. If you want it really light, use aircraft dacron -- the material sold to cover homemade airplanes.
    -Dave

I looked at the PBK facebook page and the rear deck and cockpit is different on all the photo's I saw.
    Those Flickr images linked in post #13 look even less like my boat.
    I don't think that it is one of his designs. No worries.
    So if I can find Polyester fabric in the correct weight, it needs a heatgun to shrink it tight.
    I'm seeing mention online of "Dacron" sailcloth, which is polyester, being a possibility. I have access to this from my sailmaker.

I was able to zone in quickly on suppliers for the cotton duck canvas as it's quite a specific product.

Quote Originally Posted by Slacko View Post
    I looked at the PBK facebook page and the rear deck and cockpit is different on all the photo's I saw.
    Those Flickr images linked in post #13 look even less like my boat.
    I don't think that it is one of his designs. No worries.
    That does leave you with the issue of redesigning the cockpit to add a coaming.
    The world is now your oyster. Oval or square back and pointed forward.
    A search found this. The hull framing is different but the ply deck is the same.
    https://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/...k-zm0z2002znad

Fabric- kudzucraft.net or Spirt line kayaks skin boat store skinboats.org
    How to use it- Skinning kayak with loose weave polyester (kudzucraft.com) or the tutorials from the Skin Boat School (covers nylon if you want to use it).

The fabric is specific to this purpose and shrinks nicely when you apply heat. This is different than what is available from a sailmaker or fabric store.

Once it has been shrunk then it is your choice for how to waterproof it: paint (waterproof) or two part polyurethane (the Skin Boat Store).

Happy Paddling!

And a household iron or hairdryer will shrink it. No need to buy a heat gun.
    -Dave

Hey, thanks for all those links to some great information.

I finished taking things apart this afternoon.
    I got the plywood cockpit surrounds off. The first one I cut off beside the gluelines expecting to have to chisel and sand back to the glue.

The plywood all just delaminated and split off, so the second side I pried off with a chisel. I got a nice template out of it, so now I need to get some 4mm plywood.
    I have 2 pieces that could do it, but the grain runs in different directions.

I re-stapled the hull canvas which had been done with steel staples that are very crumbly, then removed the myriad of straight blades screws holding the rubbing strips on.
    They were all stainless and played nicely except one brass one that half the head snapped off instantly, so it's only brass flat headed screws that I now have an aversion to.
    I don't think I've ever come across stainless countersunk woodscrews with flat blade drive before.

I then dug out all the staples under the rubbing strip that had held the deck canvas on.

So plywood has jumped in price since I last bought any, wow!
    I used the side deck that came off cleanly as a pattern and made a couple of new ones.
    Here I'm realising that the sides aren't quite symmetrical.

I managed to get a good fit only because the canvas will cover the 2 ends.
    Ohh yeah, I'm using cotton canvas for the decks.
    I couldn't source polyester or nylon that was known to be suitable for the job in NZ, and one of my mates has a canvas company so had it under the workbench for cheap.
    One of the links above said they couldn't get poly at the moment either when I checked.

Tonight I mixed some epoxy and glued the decks on.
    I was starting to run out of clamps!

I threw a couple of staples in as well, that I left proud to allow them to be got out easily.
    The clamp on each gunwale to the seating side are squeezing them to make a bit more room for my hips.
    Very scientific adjustment, but they are glued in place now!
    I machined some left over cedar from the old house cladding for the coamings. I'm running out of this stuff now.
    Last edited by Slacko; 10-15-2021 at 01:58 AM.

Over the weekend I got some work done building the coamings around the cockpit.

I just started at the front and freeformed something that seemed right.
    I saw the clamps to hold the forward parts on another kayak building forum, and it worked great. Having those fixed in place while I was making the next bit was helpful.

There was a bit of shape in the side decks, so a builders pencil on its side picked up the shape and my inside curve spokeshave made quick work of the cedar.

Glue, all my small clamps and a prayer, got it all in place ready for some sanding once cured.

I waited a week for the epoxy to have a chance to cure, then sanded back the squeeze out.
    I used my electric sprayer to put the first coat of varnish on.
    I thinned it with turps to about 50% and hit the whole of the framework, and the new ply and trim with it.
    The frame didn't look like it had anything on it, so at least 1 coat is better than nothing.
    The ply and trim will get at least 2 more coats, then I can canvas it.

Nice grain match on the coaming ! A great restoration job so far, thanks for posting the photos.

Rick

It's amazing that all the coaming timber is from one piece of cedar, as the front angled pieces are much darker than the rest of it.
    I'm happy with the progress so far, much better than my goal of functional utility.
    I always enjoy working on floating objects that are a method I've not used before.
    I can see myself building a skin on frame open kayak sometime in the future.
    I'll need a fur hat and a red setter to go with it though.

I'm enjoying your progress.

I'm up to 4 coats of varnish and need a trip to the store for another tin.

One more coat should get it done.
    I sanded and varnished one of the trim pieces and the black water staining around the screws means I'm probably going to make new trim and rubbing strips in Cedar rather than trying to refurbish it.

That ripple effect on the deck smoothed out while drying, so I'm going to call it done for now.
    I flipped it over and sanded the paint back.
    I think when built, the builder missed the step of burning the fluff off the canvas before painting.
    The surface was equivalent to about 25 grit sandpaper.
    It took about an hour to knock all the lumps off.
    I've probably added a knot to the top speed!

I was assisted in painting by my 10 year old daughter, so there was some fast movement on my part keeping the runs under control!

The jury is still out whether it needs another coat as the paint went on really nicely.
    It is Resene branded water based Lustacryl, which is a NZ paint brand.

Love the color.

Nice.

The daughter chose the colour for a set of drawers in her bedroom, so I stole the rest of the tin.
    Second coat is on and looking better.

Great repair. Congrats.
    Re-naming straits as necessary.

I've turned it back over, sanded again and put another coat of varnish on.
    I could be avoiding the next job of putting the canvas on.
    I need to find that youtube clip that seemed to show the way.

I bought a E-bike kit for my mountain bike, which arrived in the post today.
    I need to get this kayak finished before the bottom bracket tools arrive, and I start champing at the bit to put that together!

Looks good.
    I rescued a similar kayak as a teen and painted it a slightly lighter green (left over alkyd roof paint). The woodwork, including rubbing strips on the bottom, was painted white. It became known as the cucumber.
    It was rather heavy, so I think yours will paddle more nicely.