Thread: Elfyn in Traditional method

Default Elfyn in Traditional method

Anyone ever built a Elfyn or Elf in traditional planking, rivets, steam bent frames versus glue ply? Does the shape even lend to this method?

Default Re: Elfyn in Traditional method

Both of those boats are plywood adaptations of traditionally built faerings. I guess one could reverse-engineer them.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Think I have seen one or the other built trad. Ask Iain O, his plans allow for it.

The Lyme Boatbuilding school have built a few traditionally. Looking at their build the molds are round not chined, so they must have re-lined the plank shapes out rather than just split 3 three planks in two to get a 6 straker.

He does have an Elf for traditional build called Woodfish that will be drawn for traditional construction and would be your best bet. I think you'd have to ask him for those plans direct. You'll have to be on good terms with a local woodmill to get wide clear wide planks for a 3 Straker, and be prepared to pay. That would not be an insignificant factor. The middle strake widens towards the ends too.

Traditional Elfyn.

https://www.boatbuildingacademy.com/...-neil-hammond/

The Woodfish was build by Adrian Morgan at the Trouble with old boats website but I think he's stopped working. There was an article in Watercraft...

oughtreds.pdf

There's also the option of using his already round multistrake Wemyss skiff as a base and sticking a rig in that.
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 09-20-2021 at 11:33 AM.

Thanks for the info. We are back to considering glue ply on this one. With the wide planks, I am guessing the full size patterns will have the chines lined out for the planks, rather than round bilges as do not have plans yet.

One of the best things about Iain Oughted is he's gone to the trouble of not only building most of the boats and reflecting over many decades on them, but has lofted them full size, so the plans include full size mold shapes (chined in the case of Elf/ Elfyn) for 3 strakes and the stem shapes. Directly measured on the molds alot for the planks are 12" wide, but then you have to add in for overall curvature, waste, avoiding sapwood and short grain so even with a scarf in the middle and you need some wide big planks. Literally not 'run of the mill' stuff. 4ft wide plywood has a clear advantage here.

He lofts out other components that need it usually. His construction drawings are also accurate to within a fraction of a hair. They are remarkable. The plans are better than any other boat designer dead or alive. Sheerlines and plank lines better than a CAD machine(ist) can achieve. Frankly as a trailered boat, it's hard to argue against a glue lap boat, especially with some relatively wide planks. You don't get full size plank shapes, you do that bit yourself whichever method you like to use.

Apart from size (Elfyn's a bit longer and wider) the other main difference is the sprit rig on Elf and a balanced lug rig on Elfyn. The curved rising two position rudder hardware is spendy from Classic Marine (275), there's a choice to be made there, wether to go for that, make something yourself or a more conventional lifting rudder as otherwise the boat is a model of shaker frugality. I suppose you could argue that because she's a relatively cheaper boat to build because of her simple elegance and no motor etc spending on the rudder hardware isn't so bad. Plans include the oars for it and my sets (bought from Classic Marine) included a photocopy of a two part build series in (maybe Classic Boat). Generally it's best to get plans from Iain direct and they can be a bit cheaper (I think he's under the UK VAT turnover limit for a start which cuts 20% off) and they're straight off his printer. To tack an Elf you've got to shift the helm's weight forward to unhook the skeg, so a long (Norwegian) tiller is best -as drawn- to get forward.
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 09-22-2021 at 11:21 AM.

Edward, great description of the whole process. I built likely the first Whilley Tern and had a problem with one of the moulds. Iain came right back with a correction.
    I had actually asked for Whilley Boat plans, but got the Tern ones.
    A friend built an Elfyn in glued ply, very easy. He aims to 'cruise' the Guardiana from as far up as the boat will float, down to Villa Real de San Antonio. Bit delayed due to bug.
    While I admire peeps who build classic rivited clinker in 'real' wood. It does have problems in day to day real life.

What did he go for with the rudder/ hardware Andrew or its it a rowboat?

He has a lug, but the river trip is mostly oars. I will ask him. In my case, I made all the fittings.

In the past I have made stuff for his boats. He built it down in Portugal.

As has been said, Elf and Elfyn are glued lapstrake plywood, but Iain did another similar design which is more traditionally constructed. It is design #100 and was named "Woodfish". You can probably get the plans directly from Iain. I've bought several plans that way. He *does* answer email...

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Pearson View Post
    He made the rudder fitings out of brass. 8mm rod, 25x25mm for the ends and 3mm plate for straps. Had a local place tig the bits as he didn't anything hot enough down there for hard solder.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Pearson View Post
    Iain worked with Classic Marine in the UK to produce rudder hardware for the Elf. You can see it at:

https://www.classic-marine.co.uk/pro...f-rudder-gear/

Since that page says specifically that the hardware is for the Elf, I asked Iain whether he thought it would work for the Elfyn. He said he could think of no reason why it would not, but hadn't heard of any problems specifically. The hardware is not cheap, but I confess to being tempted...