Thread: Porsche breaks ground on plant to make synthetic fuel

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Default Porsche breaks ground on plant to make synthetic fuel

Porsche and its international partners have started building the factory that will produce a new synthetic fuel starting in 2022. Located in southern Chile, the plant will make fuel for race cars, sports cars like the 911, and classic cars.

Producing synthetic fuel is an extremely complex and highly innovative process. In the company's words, electrolysers split water into oxygen and hydrogen using wind power, hence why the plant is in Chile; it's located in one of the most reliably windy parts of the world. CO2 is then filtered from the air and combined with the hydrogen to produce synthetic methanol, which in turn is converted into fuel that can be burned in a piston engine.

In theory, running a car on Porsche's synthetic fuel won't require mechanical modifications. "Our fuel specifications meet exactly the existing ones, so you could burn such fuel in a 993 without damaging the engine, and without making mechanical adjustments.

Porsche will begin making synthetic fuel in 2022; it notably plans to fill up the cars that race in its Mobil 1 Supercup series with it. The plant will produce about 34,000 gallons of the fuel in 2022. If everything goes according to plan, its annual output will increase to about 14.5 million gallons by 2024 and around 145 million gallons by 2026.

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/09/13/...l-chile-plant/

Default Re: Porsche breaks ground on plant to make synthetic fuel

I had a feller working a dozer on my place clearing scrub and putting in dams. He ran the dozer on home made bio diesel. It cost him about nine cents per litre to produce. When the government made it, it cost almost exactly the same as ordinary diesel. Strange JayInOz

Quote Originally Posted by JayInOz View Post
    I had a feller working a dozer on my place clearing scrub and putting in dams. He ran the dozer on home made bio diesel. It cost him about nine cents per litre to produce. When the government made it, it cost almost exactly the same as ordinary diesel. Strange JayInOz
    I knew a guy that did the same thing with used cooking oil from restaurants. The raw materials cost him nothing, but on a larger scale he would have had to buy them.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Removes CO2 from the air and is produced from wind generated power. There will still be a lot of gasoline powered cars on the road during a transition to battery electrics or hydrogen fuel cells. Having a clean fuel to power them will make a difference.
    Also classic cars will still be around for long after that.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!