Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Henry Fool"

Default "Henry Fool"

It's rare that I don't finish a movie.

Amazon offered "Fay Grim" for free, and it had Parker Posey and Jeff Goldblum, so I opened it up.

Delightful!

Posey was at the height of her power, IMO, and Goldblum did a fine job, as well.

Quirky but funny in quite a well-done comedy-of-errors sort of way, and with quite a lot to say about the world's 'intelligence' agencies without being in your face about it, much.

And Posey!

I just wanted to eat her up!

So then I discovered that "Fay Grim" was the second volume of a trilogy by some wretched moron, and the first installment is called "Henry Fool".

Amazon wanted $4 to look at that piece of spit, so on the strength of "Fay Grim", I forked over my coins and started watching that [REDACTED].

I spend money on renting movies about twice a year.

Do yourself a favor.

Don't subject yourself to "Henry Fool".

I think it may be the worst movie ever made.

The third part of this abortion is called "Ned Rifle", and I won't be watching it.

Worst of all, BECAUSE I watched part of 'Henry Fool" I will never be able to enjoy "Fay Grim" again.

If you want to find a reason to bludgeon intellectuals, look no further.

UGH!

Default Re: "Henry Fool"

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag
    I spend money on renting movies about twice a year.
    bittorrent much?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    bittorrent much?
    I don't know what that means.

bittorrent much?
    it’s all about dodgy streams

On the Tomatometer, Henry Fool 87%, Fay Grim 42% and Ned Rifle 78%. In other words the audiences loved the forst and last and gave Fay a “bleh”.
    The Algorithm Is Watching

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    On the Tomatometer, Henry Fool 87%, Fay Grim 42% and Ned Rifle 78%. In other words the audiences loved the forst and last and gave Fay a “bleh”.
    Thank God!

I thought for a minute there I might have been normal!

!

And the ad that Chrome placed below this thread has to do with stool quality.
    The Algorithm Is Watching

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    And the ad that Chrome placed below this thread has to do with stool quality.
    That movie could have used a dose.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    I don't know what that means.
    Have no concern. Only a few will pick up on the reference. It's just Pless being his usual self-referential, cryptic self. <sigh>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

The Pedant of Portland thinks I'm worried.

The Pedant of Portland thinks I'm worried.
    What fun. I know Pless is a buddy of yours, so I figured you'd try and find a way to dismiss my comment.

But, as is often the case, you've flopped. You say I think you're worried. But I didn't say that, did I? Instead I offered assurances, just in case you were. Can you perceive the difference? Or is your desire to dismiss stronger than your logical capabilities?

UhOh... there he goes again. Pointing out distinctions that you will choose to misrepresent as 'pedantry'. But that word doesn't really mean what you seem to think it means. Same as Pless' attempts to throw shade by labeling me as 'suffering from cognitive dissonance'. A clean miss in both cases. So the attempt to dodge the accuracy and relevance of the distinctions will fail again.

If you notice the definitions below, pedantry involves being EXCESSIVELY concerned with MINOR details. A pedant will put a lot of energy plucking the flyspecks out of the pepper while wondering why she is sneezing. I draw distinctions that are not just accurate (at least I believe so, but always welcome supportable corrections) - but germane.

And a pedant is fixated on showing off (with a connotation of arrogance) their credentials above all. Not with a primary concern for truth, accuracy, and comprehension... but as an 'I'm better than you' ego-boost to shore up some other area of insecurity. I only point out my education when it is relevant to explaining how I arrived at a given conclusion, or why I give more weight to those conclusions than to another Bilge Rat's ad hoc musings or shallow internet search or suchlike. Another mismatch to your label.

A pedant relies too much on academic learning. Often bringing little real-world experience or 'common sense' to the discussion. Since I've typically accrued a good deal of experience to the topics I chime in on... you seem to have missed the target again. My experience is informed by my academic studies, not replaced by them.

So I think you'll need to find another epithet in your ongoing attempt to duck the corrections I offer to your often uninformed, and almost always hasty, pronouncements. You've often got a lot of the thing correct, and your heart is in the right place... but your knee is on a hair-trigger. And your rather overblown resentment when faced with correction dims your reasoning.

If you can't see the distinctions that I point out above, it doesn't mean that I'm being 'pedantic'... it means you are being slow on the uptake.

ped·ant

/ˈpednt/

noun

• 1.a person who is excessively concerned with minor details and rules or with displaying academic learning:"the royal palace (some pedants would say the ex-royal palace)"

__________________________________________________ _____________

pedant

Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.ped·ant

(pĕd′nt)n.1. One who ostentatiously exhibits academic knowledge or who pays undue attention to minor details or formal rules.
    2. Obsolete A schoolmaster.

[French pédant or Italian pedante (French, from Italian), possibly from Vulgar Latin *paedēns, *paedent-, present participle of *paedere, to instruct, probably from Greek paideuein, from pais, paid-, child; see pedo-2.]
    American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.

__________________________________________________ ____________________

pedant

(ˈpɛdənt)n1. a person who relies too much on academic learning or who is concerned chiefly with insignificant detail
    2. (Education) archaic a schoolmaster or teacher

__________________________________________________ ____________

Pedant

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to searchNot to be confused with pendant.

"The Pedant" by caricaturist Thomas Rowlandson

A pedant is a person who is excessively concerned with formalism, accuracy, and precision, or one who makes an ostentatious and arrogant show of learning.

Last edited by David G; 09-17-2021 at 11:53 AM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Heh heh heh . . .

Touched a nerve, I reckon.

Have you watched "Henry Fool"?

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    What fun. I know Pless is a buddy of yours, so I figured you'd try and find a way to dismiss my comment.

But, as is often the case, you've flopped. You say I think you're worried. But I didn't say that, did I? Instead I offered assurances, just in case you were. Can you perceive the difference? Or is your desire to dismiss stronger than your logical capabilities?

A pedant is a person who is excessively concerned with formalism, accuracy, and precision, or one who makes an ostentatious and arrogant show of learning.

I rest my case.

Hol-ee-sh!t!

Have no concern. Only a few will pick up on the reference. It's just Pless being his usual self-referential, cryptic self. <sigh>
    i do not think it means what you think it means

You keel my father . . .

Heh heh heh . . .

Touched a nerve, I reckon.

Have you watched "Henry Fool"?
    No... is it relevant? <G>

No nerve, I just think this sort of medium makes hard enough to achieve meaningful communication without allowing misleading inaccuracies and assumptions to creep into the conversation. Such inaccurate slanting perverts the narrative to no good purpose. And, because it's a mechanism you employ to avoid looking at your own quirks/failings, it does you no good, either.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I rest my case.
    Too quickly, and with the judge still frowning...

Remember what I said about facile knee-jerk responses.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

i do not think it means what you think it means
    Wrong again <sigh> See my remark to oz about facile knee-jerk responses.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

No nerve, I just think this sort of medium makes hard enough to achieve meaningful communication without allowing misleading inaccuracies and assumptions to creep into the conversation. Such inaccurate slanting perverts the narrative to no good purpose. And, because it's a mechanism you employ to avoid looking at your own quirks/failings, it does you no good, either.
    The projection is strong in this one.

Projection, eh? As you wish. Now come this way... it's time for your group. <G>

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

funny how this thread was going along swimmingly and on topic until you rushed in and diverted it into an attack thread of sorts as you are so often wont to do with threads begun by oznabrag

why is that?

funny how this thread was going along swimmingly and on topic until you rushed in and diverted it to be an attack thread of sorts as you are so often wont to do with threads begun by oznabrag

why is that?

bittorrent much?
    I got your message.

Not for me, I'm pretty strictly a 'Free To Me' Amazon guy.

Not adventurous enough, I guess.

Sounds like a HORRIBLE experience!

funny how this thread was going along swimmingly and on topic until you rushed in and diverted it into an attack thread of sorts as you are so often wont to do with threads begun by oznabrag

why is that?
    It's his DUTY, by God!

funny how this thread was going along swimmingly and on topic until you rushed in and diverted it to be an attack thread of sorts as you are so often wont to do with threads begun by oznabrag

why is that?
    You mean my #10, where I offered oz some friendly assurance about how he wasn't being dense, that YOU were simply being cryptic as usual and assuming everyone would get the hint about your cultural references... which he didn't?

Friendly assurance is a diversion?

And then he responded immediately and snarkily with name-calling and (deliberate?) misinterpretation of my kindness?

That diversion?

Or did you mean my response to that snark... where I laid down some home truths, which he responded angrily to?

Or that diversion?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

You mean my #10, where I offered oz some friendly assurance about how he wasn't being dense, that YOU were simply being cryptic as usual and assuming everyone would get the hint about your cultural references... which he didn't?

Friendly assurance is a diversion?

And then he responded immediately and snarkily with name-calling and (deliberate?) misinterpretation of my kindness?

That diversion?

Or did you mean my response to that snark... where I laid down some home truths, which he responded angrily to?

Or that diversion?
    I am ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!

The projection is strong in this one.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

you know david, you go on these little rants pretty often, multiple times a week, more often than not they turn nasty. . .

one common theme is your blaming the episode on someone else, or stirring up the episode in the first place where there was no controversy, no misunderstanding, before you showed up

ever stop to think the common thread in all these incidences is you?

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    Hol-ee-sh!t!
    . . .

you know david, you go on these little rants pretty often, multiple times a week, more often than not they turn nasty. . .

one common theme is your blaming the episode on someone else, or stirring up the episode in the first place where there was no controversy, no misunderstanding, before you showed up

ever stop to think the common thread in all these incidences is you?
    Oh, I'm sure you're 100% correct. Aren't you always? Don't you consistently use sound logic, truth, good data, and well-reasoned rhetoric to make an argument? Don't you forever and always eschew using logical fallacies in order to create a false narrative?

Unless you maybe did it once or twice... totally innocently, naturally, and unknowingly, of course. BTW - are you familiar with the fallacies: begging the question; genetic fallacy; kettle logic; reframing; ambiguity; partial quoting; fallacy fallacy; furtive fallacy; incomplete comparison?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

the thing is david, to what purpose would you bring all that rhetoric to this thread?

it was a simple conversation about a couple of movies

the thing is david, to what purpose would you bring all that rhetoric to this thread?

it was a simple conversation about a couple of movies
    Well... it was, I agree. Before the 'distractions'.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks