Thread: I had a fascinating discussion on FB yesterday about natural immunity

Default I had a fascinating discussion on FB yesterday about natural immunity

The discussion started simply enough and then the guy brought up this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vxe9pJRQcs

Where the good doctor talks about an Israeli study comparing breakthrough infection rates and hospitalization rates between people vaccinated, and people who had previously had a COVID infection. The good doctor in the video actually seems to present a pretty fair discussion of the paper, including saying that it's in pre-print and hasn't been peer-reviewed yet. Good for him, though the fact that his cat seems to appear in most of his video's is a little weird. The upshot of the paper says that in fact, the "natural immunity" acquired by having COVID at an earlier date, resulted in a much lower percentage of hospitalizations and deaths, than the immunity acquired by vaccination.

OK. I can believe that. In an environment where the virals variants aren't changing all the time, in fact that makes pretty good sense. "Natural immunity" will be acquired by your immune system developing antibodies to several antigens associated with the virus, not just the single protein in the viral coat, that the mRNA vaccine targets. So yeah. I get it.

What blew me away though, was that the guy I was talking to didn't understand that to get this "Natural Immunity" you had to ACTUALLY HAVE A CASE OF COVID. You have to catch COVID, and maybe or maybe not get very sick, in order to become immune to it. He thought "natural immunity" meant that everybody was just normally immune to the virus and apparently it was just "weak people" who got sick.

I didn't know how to respond to this beyond pointing out the obvious fact that to get the "natural immunity" you had to get sick first, so I just cut the interaction short because I didn't trust myself to be anything like civil, going forward. How many other people think this? Probably millions.

Default Re: I had a fascinating discussion on FB yesterday about natural immunity

It is a pity that so many people die whist acquiring natural immunity compared to those acquiring immunity by vaccination.

There is also research that those who survived infection, then had the vaccination have a wider, more effective set of immune responses than from either alone.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Default Re: I had a fascinating discussion on FB yesterday about natural immunity

In the post office yesterday I was waiting in line and listening to an older gentleman having a phone conversation with a friend. Turns out that the friend had NO IDEA that after vaccination, he could still pick up the COVID virus. The guy in front of me in line must have been hard of hearing, because he had his phone volume turned up really loud so we could all hear what the other person is saying. I distinctly recall the other person saying..."you're the second person who has told me that! That can't be right."..

I'm unable to understand this. What rock does this person live under to NOT have that information?

Things like this really give me an insight into the challenges faced by public health educators. That information has been available for months...MONTHS on every news channel, every radio show every newspaper, every online news source on the continent and that person STILL does not know.

What does it take to get through to people?

And besides it’s only 1/500 dying a horrible death. Unless you’re elderly or have other health issues then the odds are really bad. Or need the hospital now and they have to delay your care.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan H View Post

Pain and suffering works for most. Then again for some pain and suffering could be seen as a test of their beliefs and some folks will keep to the faith all the way to the end.

99% of the Delta variant deaths are of non-vaccinated people, which points to a particular political persuasion...

I read the results of a peer reviewed paper on this subject that stated firstly that natural immunity decreases over time and that natural immunity plus vaccine gives more protection than either alone. Also it's now apparent that vaccines need booster shots after a time.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Quote Originally Posted by Alan H View Post
    In the post office yesterday I was waiting in line and listening to an older gentleman having a phone conversation with a friend. Turns out that the friend had NO IDEA that after vaccination, he could still pick up the COVID virus. The guy in front of me in line must have been hard of hearing, because he had his phone volume turned up really loud so we could all hear what the other person is saying. I distinctly recall the other person saying..."you're the second person who has told me that! That can't be right."..

I'm unable to understand this. What rock does this person live under to NOT have that information?

Things like this really give me an insight into the challenges faced by public health educators. That information has been available for months...MONTHS on every news channel, every radio show every newspaper, every online news source on the continent and that person STILL does not know.

Must be a huge rock, as he's got lots of company.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

how does one have a fascinating discussion with someone suffering from cognitive dissonance ?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Wonder how many Republicans who die from Covid will manage to vote in '22. Those who yell the loudest about fraud are the most likely to commit fraud.

We're living in insane times. People on TV who've been vaccinated are telling their audience not to get vaccinated. They complain about mandates, but their employer mandated they get vaccinates. Any of the quit?
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

I'm fascinated by the amount of information that seems to be coming out of Israel which is at odds with the rest of the worlds information. Most people who don't intend to get vaccinated seem to get the answers they need from studies coming out of Israel. Please explain..... JayInOz

The "natural immunity" COVIDIOTS would rather become infected and risk death than take a vaccine. Good for them. You can't fix stupid.
    " I am one of those white, common sense conservatives. I believe in science and I have not taken the shot.
    -- Sarah Palin, 9/16/21

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    99% of the Delta variant deaths are of non-vaccinated people, which points to a particular political persuasion...
    or apolitical and tribal.

We know someone who had Covid, later got vaccinated, and still got Delta variant Covid. Delta is really on a different level.

They still got it- but they didn't die.

Lotta Darwin Awards to be given out in the next 12 months or so...
    Gerard>
    Langley, WA

Don't believe Republican lies.

^ posthumously, unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by JayInOz View Post
    I'm fascinated by the amount of information that seems to be coming out of Israel which is at odds with the rest of the worlds information. Most people who don't intend to get vaccinated seem to get the answers they need from studies coming out of Israel. Please explain..... JayInOz
    Maybe because they are still have hospital cases from double vaxed people, yet are the population with the highest vaccine rate. Compare Israel and some other countries data to Sweden.

Some might wonder about the science of mask wearing and herd immunity.

Israeli data is interesting but I think Palestinian citizens have a very different figure for the percentage of the population with two vaccinations? If that is so, it might be affecting the rate of infection in the double vaccinated population by forming a reservoir of infection.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Wife and I both got vaccinated, yet we both came down with Covid. I was in an ICU for a week. My point is, I read that we BOTH need to get a THIRD Vaccination when available. Neither of us object.

More businesses in town are requiring employees to mask up. None are yet requiring customers to mask but "encourage" or "recommend" masking for customers. Dining venues are complaining that employees are not returning and that they can't find new employees; blaming it on unempolyment compensation and stimulus payments. Could a combination of low wages and the fact that customers are putting them at risk for covid are the real barriers to find enough staff?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    The "natural immunity" COVIDIOTS would rather become infected and risk death than take a vaccine. Good for them. You can't fix stupid.
    All we can do is give them a wide berth and hopefully always keep them on the downwind side of the gunwales.
    "Unrepentant Reprobate"
    Lew Barrett

Quote Originally Posted by The Ranger View Post
    Dining venues are complaining that employees are not returning and that they can't find new employees; blaming it on unempolyment compensation and stimulus payments. Could a combination of low wages and the fact that customers are putting them at risk for covid are the real barriers to find enough staff?
    My wife manages a small event/restaurant facility, the kind of place a couple can easily rack up a $250 bill for dinner and drinks, the tips are not insignificant. Most of her core crew of servers have simply moved on to less challenging work. Food service is a tough tough industry.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan