Thread: Briliant Industrial Design

Default Briliant Industrial Design

Sometimes something just does it right in every way

Positive Change is a design decision. This braille smartwatch means 280 million visually impaired people in the world can now read the date, time, texts, caller info, and more from their wrist

https://www.instagram.com/cloudandco/?utm_medium=copy_link
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Default Re: Briliant Industrial Design

Good idea, but you'd think making it rectangular would allow a much longer character string. Six letters isn't much. A round watch is a leftover from mechanical analog timepieces. (Yeah, yeah, I'm an engineer . . . )
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 09-16-2021 at 12:34 PM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Sometimes something just does it right in every way

Positive Change is a design decision. This braille smartwatch means 280 million visually impaired people in the world can now read the date, time, texts, caller info, and more from their wrist

https://www.instagram.com/cloudandco/?utm_medium=copy_link
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Good idea, but you'd think making it rectangular would allow a much longer character string. Six letters isn't much. A round watch is a leftover from mechanical analog timepieces. (Yeah, yeah, I'm an engineer . . . )
    I wonder what a visually impaired person (one who can't see) thinks of the "design" concept?

"Designed by an idiot", I suspect

Edit: With Kieth's views in mind, why don't we have round iphones? Because that could be another brilliant concept

hey siri, what time is it?
    hey siri, what's the date today?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    hey siri, what time is it?
    hey siri, what's the date today?
    Reminds me of the old joke: NASA developed a pen that would write in zero G. The Russians used a pencil.

However, it is pretty cool. The main problem is that mechanical parts fail more rapidly than electronics.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

Nice! I'm a self-taught Industial Designer and I would "discuss" Keith's point above.

I did a couple of years industrial design on the side of another qualification. I never looked at anything in the same way since. First thing I do is look for the weak points, the rule being, is it fit for purpose and does it actually work? There's lot of stuff out there that does not pass this test.

I have an ID degree. My verdict is, nice shape etc, but does it really answer the needs on a deeper level ( i.e. rectangular shape allows more accessible data points ).
    Gerard>
    Langley, WA

Don't believe Republican lies.

This design has been out almost 100 years
    7E820A90-C696-4EEE-AC2B-924E60FC24D1.jpg
    The Algorithm Is Watching

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    I have an ID degree. My verdict is, nice shape etc, but does it really answer the needs on a deeper level ( i.e. rectangular shape allows more accessible data points ).
    But does it? The design constraint is the size of the average users wrist, not the shape of the watchface - I don't think going rectangular would gain anything.
    For just about everything except message privacy, hey google/siri is a far better solution - and an earbud solves that one 99% of the time.
    This looks like a very nicely designed solution, mostly looking for a problem to solve.

Pete
    I have one troll on ignore

A rectangular box, curved to fit the wrist better, would allow a lot more letters. Watches were traditionally round because the mechanical movement was a rotary thing, form following function. Making that thing round is at best harmless but unnecessary, at worst silly. But de gustibus non disputandum.

(FWIW, the worst disputes I've ever gotten into at work were with an arrogant prick of an industrial designer, who appeared to think that looking spiffy took precedence over every other possible attribute of the product. I'm generally a peaceable guy, but there were times I would have cheerfully beaten this fellow to a pulp.)
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 09-16-2021 at 07:44 PM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,

Richard Feynman

Machine tools have gotten so much better since the manufacturers sent the industrial designers packing.

A rectangular box, curved to fit the wrist better, would allow a lot more letters. Watches were traditionally round because the mechanical movement was a rotary thing, form following function. Making that thing round is at best harmless but unnecessary, at worst silly. But de gustibus non disputandum.

(FWIW, the worst disputes I've ever gotten into at work were with an arrogant prick of an industrial designer, who appeared to think that looking spiffy took precedence over every other possible attribute of the product. I'm generally a peaceable guy, but there were times I would have cheerfully beaten this fellow to a pulp.)
    Well, that and the analog thing.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Are we not robots...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

A curved rectangular watch case would only gain you space on a large wrist. It’s designed so one size can be used for men, women and children which allows them to offer it at a reasonable price of $290.

The idea of using Siri is ridiculous. Does anyone here talk to their phone in public? The blind use a lot of public transportation and the last thing you want to do is to be muttering to yourself on the bus. The watch is integrated with navigation too which I could see being a huge bonus. Visually impaired people rely on having stereoscopic hearing and can’t safely walk around with even one earbud in.

The watch seems to me to be a clever, non intrusive solution at a reasonable price.

Iíll nominate this, since it functions as well as it looks:
    4A238F3C-3346-4A3B-82B1-06457AAD2209.jpeg
    Last edited by Ralphie Boy; 09-16-2021 at 10:16 PM.

Yeah, nah, sort of. If it was rectangular and curved across the wrist, so that axis was longer, the user would effectively be reading from top to bottom instead of left to right. I have no idea if that is a problem or not. Was your industrial designer one of those bearded pointy shoe paisley shirt types? It's a stereotype, but those ones tend to be insufferable to work with.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    Was your industrial designer one of those bearded pointy shoe paisley shirt types? It's a stereotype, but those ones tend to be insufferable to work with.
    Pretty much. I was working in Berkeley, and he was a Californian down to the bone, so cultural differences may have made it worse. Not a bad guy if you didn't have to work with him.

Richard Feynman

Looking California, and Feeling Minnesota
    lol
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    Yeah, nah, sort of. If it was rectangular and curved across the wrist, so that axis was longer, the user would effectively be reading from top to bottom instead of left to right. I have no idea if that is a problem or not.

A long, high aspect-ratio "watch" shaped like this

Would still be read left-to-right.

You're going to bring the one hand across to the other so the fingers of one hand approach the watch on its long side.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. ó P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

You'd read the rectangular one like this, more or less (closest picture I could find quickly)

Richard Feynman

You'd read the rectangular one like this, more or less (closest picture I could find quickly)

Exactly!
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. ó P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

I searched on 'scratching wrist', after 'folded hands' resulted in lots of pictures of people praying.

Richard Feynman

Yep, I can see myself yelling "Hey Siri" loudly on the bus or at a restaurant and heads turning.
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by Jfitzger View Post
    The idea of using Siri is ridiculous. Does anyone here talk to their phone in public?
    I see it all the time... and I've long since stopped thinking that it was in any way, 'ridiculous'. It's a convenient solution to the problem of I/O in portable devices... and for many people, voice recognition is a wonderful asset. My wife, who has Parkinsons, often doesn't have the dexterity to operate the buttons on the TV remote control... but she knows how to press the special blue button on the control, and say 'CNN' or 'CBS' or 'Food TV'.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    A long, high aspect-ratio "watch" shaped like this

Would still be read left-to-right.

You're going to bring the one hand across to the other so the fingers of one hand approach the watch on its long side.
    Try doing that - or pretending to. If the Braille characters are in their normal left to right orientation, to do what you and Keith are sugesting, the "left" side of each character is that white square at the "top" of the picture, and the "bottom" of each character is the long side opposite the winder. That is a really awkward motion if the braille reader needs the top of the character to be at the tip end of their finger. Rotate the characters 90 degrees, so you read from top to bottom on that picture is far less physically awkward, but might not work for a Braille user.
    If I knew a blind person, I'd ask - voice of the customer, and all that .

Pete
    Last edited by epoxyboy; 09-17-2021 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Machine tools have gotten so much better since the manufacturers sent the industrial designers packing.

I’m at odds with this. The beautiful old deco styled American Pacemaker lathe (22”? X 120”) we’ve got on the shop floor catches my eye every time I walk past it.

edit: and still throws swarf by the bucket load
    Last edited by DosRenshos; 09-17-2021 at 03:46 PM.

[QUOTE=Norman Bernstein;6527233]I see it all the time... and I've long since stopped thinking that it was in any way, 'ridiculous'. It's a convenient solution to the problem of I/O in portable devices... and for many people, voice recognition is a wonderful asset. My wife, who has Parkinsons, often doesn't have the dexterity to operate the buttons on the TV remote control... but she knows how to press the special blue button on the control, and say 'CNN' or 'CBS' or 'Food TV'.[/QUOTE

If Siri is useful for anyone Iím all for it. I can imagine many situations where it would be useful.
    I was harsher than I intended because I was frustrated by comments nitpicking on a device intended to serve a disabled community. I donít think any of us has a right to judge whether itís needed or not. 140,000 people have decided it was useful and bought one.

Iíve lived my whole life in cities, never suburbs, mostly Minneapolis and Chicago. Iíve observed a lot of visually impaired people on the streets and mass transit. Itís not the kind of environment where you can rely on your phone speaking to you.