Thread: Sonic Perception

Default Sonic Perception

My Dawkins!

This morning, an appointment with the NHS audiologist, who spent an hour fitting me up with a pair of state-of-the-art, digital bluetooth phone app-able hearing aids.

I drove home, hearing the turn indicators, a pile of mechanical noises, and my wedding ring hitting the gear stick when changing gear. Got in, and spent five minutes rustling a crisp packet. Timmy, the timid cat who adopted us, cccccrunching biscuits.

These are truly awesome. It's like night and day.

Andy, wondering why I waited so long. And off to hear bats.
    "In case of fire ring Fellside 75..."

Default Re: Sonic Perception

I like mine, but don't utilize them to their full capability (phone app, bluetooth music, etc.). Nor do I put them in unless I expect to have to converse in public more than work in the shop/property.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Excellent. If ya hear anything we should 'know about', speak up!
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Glad to hear it. You will probably be irritated by some of the sounds for a while, and some sounds may seem a little artificially electronic. But your brain will adapt to these in a few weeks or so and then everything will sound much more normal.

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Excellent. If ya hear anything we should 'know about', speak up!
    1/ Who knew eating chips from a polystyrene box was so loud?
    2/ Who knew eating was so loud?
    3/ Courtesy of the NHS, these must've cost a thousand+, but are 'on loan', for free, for life. (Upgraded when necessary. Batteries included.)

Andy, dropping pins.

You described, exactly, my drive home with my aids.
    You forgot to mention bird song.

Oh…and…uh…er…urinating into the toilet is suddenly akin to Victoria Falls.
    The Algorithm Is Watching

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    You described, exactly, my drive home with my aids.
    You forgot to mention bird song.

You change gear with your left arm in Washington?

As to Victoria Falling, that's on my to-do list.

Andy, tmi

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post

Yes. I often wonder how many times I woke the dead from the bathroom when visiting someone else’s house.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Glad to hear it. You will probably be irritated by some of the sounds for a while, and some sounds may seem a little artificially electronic. But your brain will adapt to these in a few weeks or so and then everything will sound much more normal.
    This brain adaptation thing is plenty talked about by the audiologists and the aid manufacturers but hasn't really happened in my own reality. I've worn high end Oticons for several years now on a near daily basis. The only times I don't wear them is when I'll be working alone and know that I'll be producing a lot of machine noise and will be putting my ear muffs on/off regularly. Anyway.... the tinny, clattering, crisp packet sorts of noises are still irritating to the point that I mute the aids. Putting dishes away is one of those times. Maybe it's just my own hearing loss that's particular, or unusual. I do have a profound loss in the upper frequencies... don't hear birds. (Can anyone hear bats?) I'll be talking to my audiologist about it all the next time I visit. Which ought to be soon.

Nevertheless, Andy, I'm glad you took the plunge. My aids have helped my hearing a great deal. The bluetooth connection to my phone is worth the cost all by itself. I would encourage anyone to get tested. But seek out competent help! There are many charlatans out there.

Jeff

If you can hear bats, ya might want to turn down your gain.... and frequencies.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    I've worn high end Oticons for several years now on a near daily basis. .... the tinny, clattering, crisp packet sorts of noises are still irritating to the point that I mute the aids. Putting dishes away is one of those times.
    Jeff, these are Oticons and, before feeding the varmints, I found myself rubbing the washed and dried SS dishes over the ribbed SS drainer for a moment or two. It's AWESOME!

I think, yes, it's the novelty of "oh, here's 10+kHz again".

...with the future advantage of switching it off whenever I fancy.

Andy

Jeff, I agree there are some sounds still annoying and I’ll occasionally turn mine off. Also Oticon and some of the same sounds you mention. Putting dishes away or if she is cooking while I am reading, I’ll click them off. Also our cat wanting to be fed an hour before her feeding time gets really annoying, so off they go.

I listen to a lot of classical music and when my aids were new, piano music sounded tinny like a honky tonk piano. It now sounds normal, but that was the sound that took the longest for my brain to correct.

Those "harsh" sounds can be effectively modified or programmed out by a competent and compassionate provider. You may have to be assertive to have them take the time to help you. Many devices have more than one program. A program for noisy restaurants or bars will filter out that higher frequency stuff and background noise (utilizing speech recognition software) Mine have three distinct programs, one for a "pub" another for a "train" (or Detroit diesel!) and one for "normal" situations.
    It is difficult for the provider to put themselves in a described scenario, but often a (phone) recording of the annoying sounds can be used to pin it down and reduce the amplification of a specific frequency range. Digital aids are now almost infinitely programable.
    Not wearing hearing aids full time is a common mistake, resulting in less effective rehabilitation. The older you are the less plasticity in the brain. They should be set up so they are comfortable in any scenario.
    The "mute button" is a blessing for me, about the same as sound protection headphones or better without the bulk

A pretty good read here on real world measurement of what you are actually hearing while wearing the device:
    Live speech mapping and real ear measurements (REM)
    https://www.hearingaidknow.com/gold-...ng-aid-fitting

I am a long time user (50 years) and have watched recent digital development in this field with great interest. There is no comparison to the devices of even 10 years ago.

..I hear ya, Canoeyawl!

Got REM here. Amazing stuff.

I should take my cat with me to my next appointment and have them cancel her voice.

I've thought about getting some since the covid crap got bad- hadn't realised just how dependent I was on lip reading until everyone started wearing a mask. But apart from hearing loss- complete absence of higher frequency sounds- the main problem for me is tinnitus. A whole range of loud squeals and chirps and whistles that never stop. Can a hearing aid overcome that? JayInOz

Quote Originally Posted by JayInOz View Post
    I've thought about getting some since the covid crap got bad- hadn't realised just how dependent I was on lip reading until everyone started wearing a mask. But apart from hearing loss- complete absence of higher frequency sounds- the main problem for me is tinnitus. A whole range of loud squeals and chirps and whistles that never stop. Can a hearing aid overcome that? JayInOz
    No, that's a brain thing but hearing aids won't amplify tinnitus

Great. So I'm deaf and got a brain thing.

I only have tinnitus when I'm sleeping

You probably only notice it when you're trying to sleep. When I was a kid my Dad hunted for a living for a large part of each year. I spent hundreds of nights camped out in the bush with him- great memories. We often camped near water and in dry seasons the frogs would be calling around the waters edge and crickets and katydids and similar critters would be calling from the greenery growing in the mud. Those times provided some of my fondest memories, and now many of the tinnitus "sounds" I hear all night are pretty much identical to those sounds from the nights camped out with Dad. It can be quite comforting when it doesn't get too loud. JayInOz

No, it wakes me up about 3:00-4:00 am

My tinnitus is still there, of course, but with the aids in, it's much less noticeable. All the ambient noise of life quietly overpowers it.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    My Dawkins!

This morning, an appointment with the NHS audiologist, who spent an hour fitting me up with a pair of state-of-the-art, digital bluetooth phone app-able hearing aids.

I drove home, hearing the turn indicators, a pile of mechanical noises, and my wedding ring hitting the gear stick when changing gear. Got in, and spent five minutes rustling a crisp packet. Timmy, the timid cat who adopted us, cccccrunching biscuits.

These are truly awesome. It's like night and day.

Andy, wondering why I waited so long. And off to hear bats.

A friend of mine got hearing aids like those a while ago. He tells me that here in the States, they run $8,000-$9,000 (call it 5,550-6,000 quid). That was all on him, since most USA health insurance plans have little to no coverage for hearing aids.

Pretty sure the NHS didn't ding you for $6,000 quid... did they?
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    No, it wakes me up about 3:00-4:00 am
    That's your early morning pee alarm.
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    Ummm...I spent about 2 in petrol to pick them up.

They're not mine, though. The system here states that I am simply borrowing them until something better comes along.

Replacement batteries (they gave me two month's worth) are free: drop into the medical centre, drop off the old 'uns and get replacements.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    A friend of mine got hearing aids like those a while ago. He tells me that here in the States, they run $8,000-$9,000 (call it 5,550-6,000 quid). That was all on him, since most USA health insurance plans have little to no coverage for hearing aids.

Either Medicare or private insurance will pay for the "medical" part of getting hearing aids, but not the actual equipment. When I got mine that amounted to about $2K. That was a welcome surprise. I hadn't expected any help.

Jeff

A few years back, there was proposed legislation to allow competition for manufacture of hearing aids - with the aim of much better affordability. I've heard nothing of late; suspect 'the lobby' prevailed.

Andy, have you bought a new car yet to replace that thing you’re driving that suddenly developed so many rattles?

The Over-the-Counter Hearing Aid Act of 2017
    The Over-the-Counter Hearing Aid Act of 2017 implements recommendations from PCAST and the National Academies to help the millions of Americans affected by hearing impairment. The Act:
    • Makes certain types of hearing aids – those intended to be used by adults to compensate for perceived mild to moderate hearing impairment – available over the counter.
    • Removes an unnecessary and burdensome requirement that consumers obtain a medical evaluation or sign a waiver of that examination in order to obtain an OTC hearing aid.
    • Requires the FDA to issue regulations containing safety and labeling requirements for
    this new category of OTC hearing aids.
    • Maintains existing safety, labeling, and manufacturing protections and applies them to
    OTC devices in order to ensure that OTC hearing aids are held to the same high standards
    as other medical devices.
    • Requires the FDA to update its draft guidance on Personal Sound Amplification Products
    (PSAPs), consumer electronics products that may use similar technology to hearing aids, but are intended for use by individuals with normal hearing

I don’t think OTC hearing aids would do it for me. “Umm, I’ll have some red vines and a Snickers bar, and oh, give me a couple of those blue hearing aids.”

If you can't afford a decent hearing aid, they reckon if you tie a button on a piece of string, stick the button in your ear and the other end of the string in your pocket, people will just automatically start talking louder to you JayInOz

Quote Originally Posted by JayInOz View Post
    If you can't afford a decent hearing aid, they reckon if you tie a button on a piece of string, stick the button in your ear and the other end of the string in your pocket, people will just automatically start talking louder to you JayInOz
    Spewed my coffee on this one. Too funny.
    Choose wisely -Treat kindly...

A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth...

S/V ORCA 38' Herreshoff Ketch