Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I want to go back in time and show this to my 2019 self.

Default Re: I want to go back in time and show this to my 2019 self.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    this thread needs pictures

no, not those pictures, dammit

Were her er… um…. ah…. effected by the vaccine too? They do look rather ………………swollen…………...

I appreciate everyone's vast deference on such a testy subject.

I grew up listening to WKCR 88.9 and still blast some of the same albums I learned of back then on a regular basis. Seems to have some staying power I think.

So much great political music. I can only think of a handful of really powerful (to my ear) examples from other genres, mostly dub/reggae and country

There's some really interesting study to be done around how hip hop in the NYC area changed in the years following 9/11.

rap is the greatest form of social protest music presently and going back to the sixties
    It was. It is not anymore. Gangster rap has taken over the genre. Women are demeaned. Fear and intimidation is mistaken for respect. No, Paul, you are dead wrong.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

Is this 'gangster rap'?

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Yeah. They oughta dress conservatively. Like the good old days.

Kevin
    Your point is what, Kevin? That it's been going on for a long time and therefore I'm wrong? No, I'm right and I've always been right. The centerfold in playboy has always been a shortcut for women of little talent and for every one you can name who made it big after they posed, there are 20 who did not. It was a dead end stereotype and the same remains true today for women who arrive half dressed for the red carpet. If you have talent, you don't need to tease sex.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Beowolf View Post
    So…

…explain Amy Grant.
    Explain what? She's a Christian singer. She's not my favorite, but she's not bad. If she has ever dressed immodestly, I've not seen it and my Google search did not reveal it. What's your point?

Quote Originally Posted by offbelayknife View Post
    Is this 'gangster rap'?
    You mean where in the opening shot he shoots the guy in the head?

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    You mean where in the opening shot he shoots the guy in the head?
    No, though that is provocative. It's also not the music. I think the video does a good job of juxtaposing horror and humor. It pairs well, but certainly isn't 'gangster' in any meaning of the term I'm familiar with.

Is this 'gangster rap'?
    Nope - it's a powerful protest piece. Possibly not aimed @ 60+ white guys though....
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Nope - it's a powerful protest piece. Possibly not aimed @ 60+ white guys though....
    The debate between that and something from Dead Prez was contentious. De gustibus non est disputadum.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Okay, it is vile. And if you want to claim I'm too old or too white to appreciate it, it is still vile. Some things just can't be confused by claiming social class, etc.

Okay, it is vile. And if you want to claim I'm too old or too white to appreciate it, it is still vile. Some things just can't be confused by claiming social class, etc.
    Hey - I'm white & I believe I'm a bit older than you. All I was trying to say is that what will get the attention of us vs. get the attention of a 22YO inner city kid is quite different.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

It was. It is not anymore. Gangster rap has taken over the genre. Women are demeaned. Fear and intimidation is mistaken for respect. No, Paul, you are dead wrong.
    one sub genre of music invalidates the whole? death metal and satanic metal invalidate rocknroll? what about the racist and sexist subcontext of songs like the rolling stones brown sugar, and there's a whole fecking ****load of racism in both old and contemporary country music. . .

gangsta and thug rap is still an expression of protest; ugly though it is

and that's the point
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

so gangsta

one sub genre of music invalidates the whole? death metal and satanic metal invalidate rocknroll? what about the racist and sexist subcontext of songs like the rolling stones brown sugar, and there's a whole fecking ****load of racism in both old and contemporary country music. . .
    Ain’t that the thing about rock n’roll? It’s nature allows listeners to separate the lyrics from the song? Moms can bop along to 3rd eye blind singing about trading drugs for sex, an iggy pop sing about heroin can sell cars, it’s perfect capitalism.

are you condemning the whole without ever having given cardi b's wap a fair shake

Paul, listen to whatever you want. When a video starts by putting a bullet through someone's brain, it isn't entertainment and it isn't rational discourse. If you can find one bit of rap that isn't trash, congratulations. That does not exonerate the rest. It's mostly garbage. End of debate.

Is this 'gangster rap'?

No THAT is America .....................sadly
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Getting back to the subject of the original post, she has subsequently claimed that the White House invited her to visit. The WH Press Secretary said this is not true, but they offered to have a doctor call her and correct her mistaken ideas. She now says she will get vaccinated before her next tour.

So, was this a genuine misunderstanding, or an attempt at getting attention?

"yo drake, throw your sign up. . ."
    And for pickin my nose- this one

Cool Re: I want to go back in time and show this to my 2019 self.

I want to go back to the 70's when The Isley Brothers and Soul Train were the Shizz.

Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Explain what? She's a Christian singer. She's not my favorite, but she's not bad. If she has ever dressed immodestly, I've not seen it and my Google search did not reveal it. What's your point?
    I was just wondering if this theory of yours worked in both directions. In which case either Amy Grant is an exception to the rule or simply contains a wealth of untapped talent.

But if snark, sure. But your theory is, on its face, laughable.
    \"A little too tall, coulda used a few pounds...\"

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Put a smile on my face.

Default I want to go back in time and show this to my 2019 self.

Your point is what, Kevin? That it's been going on for a long time and therefore I'm wrong? No, I'm right and I've always been right. The centerfold in playboy has always been a shortcut for women of little talent and for every one you can name who made it big after they posed, there are 20 who did not. It was a dead end stereotype and the same remains true today for women who arrive half dressed for the red carpet. If you have talent, you don't need to tease sex.

Needs got nothing to do with it.

Cher, Jane Fonda, Donna Summer: these are certainly talented people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Cool, this turned into a music thread.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Quote Originally Posted by Beowolf View Post
    I was just wondering if this theory of yours worked in both directions. In which case either Amy Grant is an exception to the rule or simply contains a wealth of untapped talent.

But if snark, sure. But your theory is, on its face, laughable.
    Beowolf, we are all entitled to our opinions and I really don't care what your opinion is. I like music that makes me think without turning my stomach. If it is necessary to flash boobs in order to get an audience excited, or get your photograph on the red carpet in the paper, then the talent is lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Needs got nothing to do with it.

Cher, Jane Fonda, Donna Summer: these are certainly talented people.
    They had their day, but I wouldn't rate any of them as high as some others. Cher was no Grace Slick. Did she get photographed showing her boobs all the time? Cher was sure as hell no Barbra Streisand. I don't remember her flashing her boobs in every photograph. Maybe she has talent? Jane Fonda is no Meryl Streep, and frankly she's not even Jamie Lee Curtis. Donna Summer was fun to hear, but she was a one hit wonder.

And then what do you do with the Patrick Stewarts and Ian McKellens of the world? Do they drop their pants to get attention, or do they perform?

So you say Cher, Fonda and Summer are talented people. No, not so much, really.

Cher was no Grace Slick.
    Ain't that the truth. Hardly anybody else was in her class either, though.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

I like a boob thread too but back to misinformation. It’s too bad so many people are influenced by it.

https://www.yahoo.com/now/kentucky-b...181301382.html

Wendell and Eskew wanted to start a family as soon as they got married, Eskew, a correctional sergeant, said. The couple, of Grand Rivers, Kentucky, hoped to eventually have three, maybe four, children.

So when the Covid-19 vaccines came out, and some of Wendell’s co-workers said the shots caused infertility — an unfounded claim that has gained ground despite top reproductive health groups refuting it — she “just kind of panicked,” Eskew, 29, said.

Wendell decided they should hold off on their vaccinations. It was a choice that cost her her life: Instead of attending her wedding, which was supposed to be on Aug. 21, her family is now planning her funeral.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Ain't that the truth. Hardly anybody else was in her class either, though.
    Okay, I'm going to put on my old fart badge and say, "Grace Slick didn't live up to her potential. She had the best set of pipes in the business, but she chose music that did not do them justice."

good lord

Okay, I'm going to put on my old fart badge and say, "Grace Slick didn't live up to her potential. She had the best set of pipes in the business, but she chose music that did not do them justice."
    Maybe not. Good enough, though.

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Cher was no Grace Slick.
    I'm as big a JA fan as exists. Love Gracie. Both Cher ( conralto) and Grace Slick ( mezzo) are said to have almost four octave ranges. Both have great belting and great vibrato, though, it seems to me, that Cher can sustain with or without vibrato, whereas Grace relies on it. ( If true, that may be physiology more than talent)

But, in addition to singing, Cher:

Is still writing, recording and performing new material.

Is a fashion designer.

Is an author.

Is an Oscar-winning film actor.

is an Emmy-winning TV actor.

Is a Grammy-winning songwriter.

Is a Broadway stage actor.

2018 Kennedy Center Award.

Grace Slick:

Retired from performing music.

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductee ( as part of Jefferson Airplane)

An artist ( painter)

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Didn't somebody analyse the vocal range of Cher and find that it extended all of three notes?