Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 moms pull out guns during argument at Hazelwood elementary school

Default Re: 2 moms pull out guns during argument at Hazelwood elementary school

Quote Originally Posted by kgr1 View Post
    Not exactly. But then, you failed to reproduce my post in context.

I'll let you explain precisely how you find that failed to reproduce your post's context.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Wealth enough to live in a safe neighborhood, a job in academia, and the aforementioned securely surrounded by a college town in New Hampshire?

Ooooh how about me do me puuuuhlease

57 years ( tomorrow ) Never felt the need, desire, or want to own a gun, not in the house, not in the car not on my hip.
    Born in the Bronx, lived in rough parts of Philly, Jersey City, NYC, North Bergen NJ. I've traveled and hung out in some seriously seedy parts of the world from Brownsville Brooklyn, Compton California, Tijuana Mexico, Camden NJ, remote islands with sketchy accommodations and darker sections of Europe.

Funny I've managed to survive 57 years ( again my birthday is tomorrow ) without a gun.

OH and Karen while I. got your attention

Question for kgr1 - 'Abandoning Social and Cultural Norms'?
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    Who should pay for medical/funeral expenses of gunshot victims?
    the offending shooter
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Funny I've managed to survive 57 years ( again my birthday is tomorrow ) without a gun.
    yeah but you're a self proclaimed badass, mr yellow #2 pencil

i think your next forum name change should be from 'jo so cal' to 'liam eff'n neeson'

Wouldn't excessive taxation on ammunition primarily impact the poor?

57 years ( tomorrow ) Never felt the need, desire, or want to own a gun, not in the house, not in the car not on my hip.
    Born in the Bronx, lived in rough parts of Philly, Jersey City, NYC, North Bergen NJ. I've traveled and hung out in some seriously seedy parts of the world from Brownsville Brooklyn, Compton California, Tijuana Mexico, Camden NJ, remote islands with sketchy accommodations and darker sections of Europe.

OH and Karen while I. got your attention

Question for kgr1 - 'Abandoning Social and Cultural Norms'?
    And the crafty jungle cat pounces! Stealthy, and patient, that one is!
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by offbelayknife View Post
    all sales taxes are regressive in nature

Wealth enough to live in a safe neighborhood, a job in academia, and the aforementioned securely surrounded by a college town in New Hampshire?

Grew up in Baltimore, lived on the edge of DC, lived by the larger cities in Virginia, lived in northern Delaware on the outskirts of Philadelphia, moved to NH 16 years ago.

So, thanks for making uninformed assumptions. I hope you do better the next time.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

'Excessive taxation', eh? Seems... I dunno.. pejorative?

Contrast/compare re: cigarette tax.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    Grew up in Baltimore, lived on the edge of DC, lived by the larger cities in Virginia, lived in northern Delaware on the outskirts of Philadelphia, moved to NH 16 years ago.

So, thanks for making uninformed assumptions. I hope you do better the next time.

And... hope springs eternal!

I hope you are not waiting for a retraction. I have never seen him admit he was wrong.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

I was under the impression that increasing ammunition taxes to the point that they reduce gun crime was under discussion.

hasn't worked for cigarettes. Don't hold yer breath.

and Karen ain't 'a he', last I heard.

Ah, so we're discussing something likely to be ineffective. Just wanted to clarify.

whereas you kegger, have survived it by regular gun battles?

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    hasn't worked for cigarettes. Don't hold yer breath.

and Karen ain't 'a he', last I heard.
    cigarette taxes have reduced cigarette consumption. To reduce crime via bullet taxes you’d have to shrink the bullet purchase rate to zero, which would require ultra high taxation

You betcha!

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    To reduce crime via bullet taxes you’d have to shrink the bullet purchase rate to zero, which would require ultra high taxation

This would be about the right moment for a Phillip Allen reloading post.

Ah, so we're discussing something likely to be ineffective. Just wanted to clarify.
    No - unless you're letting perfection to be the enemy of 'purty darn good'.

Cigarette taxation shows a commensurate drop is use, with each progressive increase. But it hasn't eliminated it.

I'll bite. I've lived in rural VT for many years - not suburbia, but surrounded by miles & miles of woods.

Yep, I own some guns. I've even used 'em on things other than targets - raccoons, a woodchuck or 2 & a couple of deer. Of all the people I know, the ones who carry live in the city or close to it. Out in the country, it's rare for anyone to be armed except when hunting. No permit needed here.

The real issue is the fear created by the NRA and ably assisted by the media & RW politicians. I know some might find it shocking, but 50 years ago anyone carrying was very rare. Heck, some might even still be alive today!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    I'll bite. I've lived in rural VT for many years - not suburbia, but surrounded by miles & miles of woods.

Yep, I own some guns. I've even used 'em on things other than targets - raccoons, a woodchuck or 2 & a couple of deer. Of all the people I know, the ones who carry live in the city or close to it. Out in the country, it's rare for anyone to be armed except when hunting. No permit needed here.

The real issue is the fear created by the NRA and ably assisted by the media & RW politicians. I know some might find it shocking, but 50 years ago anyone carrying was very rare. Heck, some might even still be alive today!
    Not only the fear, but the feeling that introducing a deadly weapon is an appropriate step along the path to conflict resolution. Our police forces struggle with the same issue.

I wonder what kind of gun training education the moms got.

Not only the fear, but the feeling that introducing a deadly weapon is an appropriate step along the path to conflict resolution. Our police forces struggle with the same issue.
    Very good point!

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    I wonder what kind of gun training education the moms got.
    Missouri allows taking the class online - $99 & you're good to go.

As an aside - this is why I see the new Texas law about no permits to be no big deal - as MO shows us that many permit requirements are meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Of all the people I know, the ones who carry live in the city or close to it. Out in the country, it's rare for anyone to be armed except when hunting. No permit needed here.

I have two women relatives that own guns. One is 40 and the other is 65. Neither has ever been the victim of a violent crime that I know of, and yet... Neither lives in a big city.

The fear that our country has been taught and has absorbed is beyond reason.

The statistics tell us that if you own a gun you are MORE likely to get shot, but everyone thinks they are the exception to the rule. We are told that a gun is our right, and yet nobody thinks they need to get proper gun training or abide by that training. Statistics say you are safer if your gun is kept locked up, but people leave them out where they can be reached quickly in case of the break in that never happens.

It is a clear example of emotion over logic and no amount of logic or facts will change public opinion. It's just stupid.

pistols are too dangerous, those moms shoulda been carrying shotguns.

Somehow, I have survived 65 years without a gun, not in the house, not in the car, not on my hip. How do I do it?

So, kegger is implying that the only people in America who have guns are morons who had a deprived childhood, no education, a crap job and live in a rough neighbourhood
    Structures uninformed by geometry tend towards the ramshackle.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    very black humor, and a good point.

btw that florescent overhead lighting really brings out the ghoul in him.
    Last edited by LeeG; 09-16-2021 at 02:23 PM.

Meanwhile, in Salt Lake City

Salt Lake City police investigating scuffle involving rifle at youth soccer tournament

Salt Lake City Police are investigating a fight involving a rifle that caused panic at the Salt Lake City Regional Athletic Complex on Saturday.

According to a news release from the SLPD, someone called 911 at 2:30 p.m. on Saturday about a fight involving a weapon, which was later determined to be a rifle.

A soccer tournament was taking place at the complex, according to Fox 13, and a witness at the tournament said adults and children were screaming and running to get away when they heard someone had a weapon.

The argument “does not appear to be related to the soccer tournament or any of the games occurring at the complex,” and no shots were fired during the incident, according to police.

The “primary involved parties” have been identified but no arrests have been made, according to the release. Police are still investigating the incident.

Shannon Watts, the founder of Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America, shared a letter via Twitter from the U.S. Youth Soccer National Office responding to the incident. The letter stated the team associated with the individuals in the incident was “expelled from the remainder of this weekend’s events,” and all remaining games were cleared by local authorities to be played as scheduled.

“We do all we can to create an environment where children and families can feel supported and safe, but sometimes the outside world intrudes on our efforts and presents serious challenges,” the letter states. “Today we faced such an incident. We are both saddened by the traumatic experience for all involved, but also extremely proud of staff and volunteers who worked quickly to help local authorities defuse the situation, remove the individual(s) involved and assuage the concerns of teams and players.”

Quote Originally Posted by isla View Post
    So, kegger is implying that the only people in America who have guns are morons who had a deprived childhood, no education, a crap job and live in a rough neighbourhood
    If only that were true we would have solutions to the epidemic of gun violence!

So that's the narrative you want to present? All those rough, tough college neighborhoods, plus what, about 22 years total in NH? Somewhat disingenuous, no? Almost Jesuitical, in fact.

whereas you kegger, have survived it by regular gun battles?
    Don't be silly, Hughie. Like Joe, I never carry. Unlike Joe, I'm pretty mild-mannered.

Quote Originally Posted by isla View Post

Already posed and replied to. Do try to be more attentive.

Unlike Joe, I'm pretty mild-mannered.
    why bless your heart, I’ve never heard that euphemism for liar before, it’s fabulous!

Unlike Joe, I'm pretty mild-mannered.
    why bless your heart, I’ve never heard that euphemism for liar before, it’s fabulous!
    Glad to see you're still at the top of your game.

Quote Originally Posted by CK 17 View Post
    Midwest nice.
    Hmm... I've always considered Missouri part of the South, actually. But perhaps saying so would upset oznabrag and we'd get another of those threads in response.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com