Thread: A Couple of Days in Central Puget Sound

Default A Couple of Days in Central Puget Sound

I took some time off. I was planning to go with my daughter, but she couldn't go at the last minute. So I went solo.

Around noon, I left Everett and headed south. Right around Seattle, this beauty passed me:

PXL_20210825_230838498.jpg

The Seattle skyline came into view as we rolled south to Blake Island

PXL_20210825_231008750.NIGHT (2).jpg

We found a spot on the dock on Blake Island, close by two other wooden boats, in what was jokingly referred to as the wooden boat ghetto. One was a Wayfarer, the other was Carol Hasse's folkboat Lorraine:

PXL_20210826_153228855.jpg

Leketoy completed the trio

PXL_20210826_015721952.jpg

Here's classic modern Puget Sound scene: a totem and a containership---they are anchored all over these days:

PXL_20210826_021603602.jpg

More later
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Default Re: A Couple of Days in Central Puget Sound

Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    I saw Hasse's boat in Port Townsend last Saturday. Very nice boat.
    She and her companion were even nicer. Great people to talk with

The boat you passed on the way down is Twin Isles.

https://classicyacht.org/boats/twin-isles
    - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Life is short. Go boating now!

Who was in the Wayfarer? At this time of year, when the weather can turn at any time, I'm impressed that they were out there in an open boat.
    Alex

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.
    - Vincent van Gogh

http://www.alexzimmerman.ca

Nice. Blake Island is one of those places I see every time I pull out of Eagle Harbor but have never managed to visit.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Blake Island is one of my favorite places. It's actually very close to Seattle. The Wayfarer sailor, whose name I did not catch, had sailed over from Alki Point and met up with friends who can come to the island by the private shuttle boat. They all camped together

You're actually within view of downtown Seattle when tied up on Blake Island. I used to work in the tallest of the buildings peeking over West Seattle

PXL_20210826_002011572.jpg

The following morning I headed south down Colvos Passage and ended up in Gig Harbor. A few raindrops fell, welcome after months of drought, and then went away.

PXL_20210826_204123972.MP.jpg

Gig Harbor used to be a fishing center. Some of the old remains of that industry include re-purposed netsheds.

PXL_20210826_235445644 (2).jpg

I spent the night tied to the public float. It was chilly enough for a wee fire in the stove in the morning.

PXL_20210827_004840093.jpg

After breakfast, I headed out to swing by Tacoma. I lived in Tacoma for several years and am familiar with the waterfront, but had never seen it from the water. This ferry passed me heading into Ruston. When I lived in Tacoma, the ASARCO smelter was still in operation in Ruston. You could smell the arsenic when you biked by the plant.

PXL_20210827_174301763 (2).jpg

Thanks for the tour! Much appreciated.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Passing a few eateries and drinkeries built out over the bay, I came on the fanciest high school around: Stadium High

PXL_20210827_181332945.jpg

I headed up the Foss Waterway in the heart of Tacoma, which is a blend of old buildings and new high rises.

PXL_20210827_181720065.jpg

The old Union Pacific Depot is now the Federal Courthouse

PXL_20210827_183404620.MP.jpg

Although the waterway is mostly boat docks, restaurants and the Museum of Glass, which looks to me like an old time sawdust burner,

PXL_20210827_183700305.jpg

there are a few industrial sites. Here is the Sea Scout Ship Odyssey missing her mainmast, we hope only temporarily.

PXL_20210827_184855807 (2).jpg

More later

Sounds like a relaxing trip. Not too far and not too fast.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    Sounds like a relaxing trip. Not too far and not too fast.

Jeff
    Interesting you should say so. I was planning to go south of the Narrows, even though slack water was late in the day. But then I realized my itinerary was too ambitious and throttled back to more sedate pace. I am glad I did.

After Tacoma, I headed north between Vashon Island and the mainland and decided to go back to Blake Island. I was tied up by mid afternoon and got some kite flying in. It was a classic Puget Sound summer afternoon and here is a classic Puget Sound photograph: Mount Rainier and a ferry:

PXL_20210828_020856799.PORTRAIT.jpg

The following morning after a walk around most of the island, I headed back to Everett. This fella found a nice place to view the passing boats.

PXL_20210828_193506934.jpg

Threading my way through fleets of boats salmon fishing, I made it back to Everett and tied up after a great trip

776.jpg