Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 35 of 39

Thread: Iphones and electronic rubbish

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    67,361

    Default Iphones and electronic rubbish

    I have had to change over to an I phone for tr=echnical reasons involving Covid and access.
    I have never seen such a collection of rubbish on offer. Pages and pages of it and it's all crap.
    I have just changed and I guess I'll manage to remove most of the offending junk when I sort out how it works. And as for Siri, I do not wish to have my car talk to me, let alone a b….y phone.
    And then there's the password nonsense, I have never had one and I do not intend to start, and of course I do not conduct financial matters on a phone or a laptop for that matter. They are no secure.
    I'll keep you posted how I go when I learn how to delete it all.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    24,794

    Default Re: Iphones and electronic rubbish

    Iphones are expensive! Why did you buy it if you didn't want all that stuff? I just bought a Motorola phone that cost about 1/3 of the price of an iphone and it seems great. I tend to break or drown phones so I always buy cheaper ones but they seem to be much the same as the exy ones to me.
    Rick

    Lean and nosey like a ferret

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    34,044

    Default Re: Iphones and electronic rubbish

    A device magnitudes more powerful them the onboard computer on Apollo ll and what do we use it for? Facebook, Twitter, and Snapchat, etc.
    Oh and how to put cute noses and whiskers on your selfies.
    be modest, and be proud of it.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,282

    Default Re: Iphones and electronic rubbish

    Is this the old man's daycare?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Portland, Maine
    Posts
    21,785

    Default Re: Iphones and electronic rubbish

    Did ya get an Apple Watch, too?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Gulgong. Central west N.S.W. Australia
    Posts
    5,169

    Default Re: Iphones and electronic rubbish

    My boss sends huge files- important covid updates and protocols mostly- to my cheap little phone. I told him months ago that I can't open them on my phone. He keeps sending them anyway and I keep ignoring them Just for giggles, google "When SIRI is Maori". Contains little bit bad language JayInOz

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    41,325

    Default Re: Iphones and electronic rubbish

    Quote Originally Posted by dutchpp View Post
    Is this the old man's daycare?
    And what's this wheel thing in the cockpit? What's wrong with a whipstaff?

    Any new computer device comes with stuff you may not want. However the next person buying one may. Removing what you don't want on an iPhone is pretty simple & google will tell you 297 ways to get rid of them.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    67,361

    Default Re: Iphones and electronic rubbish

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Iphones are expensive! Why did you buy it if you didn't want all that stuff? I just bought a Motorola phone that cost about 1/3 of the price of an iphone and it seems great. I tend to break or drown phones so I always buy cheaper ones but they seem to be much the same as the exy ones to me.
    Got it free, Iphone8.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Portland, Maine
    Posts
    21,785

    Default Re: Iphones and electronic rubbish

    iPhone is sort of a misnomer. It’s more of a pocket computer than a phone.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    112,742

    Default Re: Iphones and electronic rubbish

    Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Got it free, Iphone8.
    good phone even three generations behind current state of the art (which is mostly realized in the camera), still a better than decent camera, secure as long as you're not into kiddie porn, good shock and water resistance

    what's not to like?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    18,356

    Default Re: Iphones and electronic rubbish

    Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I have had to change over to an I phone for tr=echnical reasons involving Covid and access.
    I have never seen such a collection of rubbish on offer. Pages and pages of it and it's all crap.
    I have just changed and I guess I'll manage to remove most of the offending junk when I sort out how it works. And as for Siri, I do not wish to have my car talk to me, let alone a b….y phone.
    And then there's the password nonsense, I have never had one and I do not intend to start, and of course I do not conduct financial matters on a phone or a laptop for that matter. They are no secure.
    I'll keep you posted how I go when I learn how to delete it all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    And what's this wheel thing in the cockpit? What's wrong with a whipstaff?

    Any new computer device comes with stuff you may not want. However the next person buying one may. Removing what you don't want on an iPhone is pretty simple & google will tell you 297 ways to get rid of them.
    +1 on this. You don't have to utilize everything on the phone - including security stuff - and you can either hide or disable functions you don't wish to use. There is a manual available online if you look at Apple's website that will guide you through most if not all questions you may have about setting the thing up.

    My dad, who is 90, is using an older iPhone SE that needs replacement. We customized it for him so it only has the features that he needs and wants. For a guy that never used a computer before, it is sort of a love-hate relationship, but it works for him. I'll be doing a hand-me-down of my iPhone 8 to him as a replacement for the SE because it still has the "home" button. (learning gestures seems too much to ask - old dog, new tricks...) Replaced the battery for the iPhone 8, so it should be good to go for him.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    8,419

    Default Re: Iphones and electronic rubbish

    It isn't a pocket computer. It's a hand computer. You're right-handed, so you use that to poke it and the left hand to hold it. You now look at your hand computer to find out everything you can think of. Most of them won't recieve a fax worth a damn. Only a few generations from now, it won't be uncommon for people, rich people at first, to have their 'phone' implanted and driven by mental commands and requests. Siri, do it again. But slower and softer at the end. That's it, more flute, less violin.

    I drive the iphone She got me, an eight, like Skuthorp. I use the alarm and timer feature constantly during the day. I make or receive no more than a dozen phone calls per year. I text back and forth with Her and every now and then a couple of other people I keep no account info and do no transactions on the phone. I look up cooking times and familiar actors whose names I don't recall, the population of somewhere. And of course I see what other people did when they had the problem I'm currently having, like, 'Is it supposed to stick out like that?' 'Is the throbbing normal, and will the redness go away when it stops?'

    On the one hand I have the time, and since I have the time on my hands.

    If you look up the lyrics to St. James Infirmary, you'll discover that the words vary all over the joint depending on who is doing the cover. But everybody plays the same melody and chords.

    Seriously, having a little unobtrusive flash light instantly to hand for any situation, is like discovering fire; having a camera with a zoom lense for full-color, high-resolution motion images is like discovering that fire goes best with meat and potatoes.

    When people one day have their computers real-timing everything in their heads, with theme music like a score of their lives, recording and analyzing everything, with no external mechanism, will they have evolved a flash-light that somehow beams out one's head?
    Speak softly and carry a mouthful of marbles.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    18,356

    Default Re: Iphones and electronic rubbish

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan View Post
    When people one day have their computers real-timing everything in their heads, with theme music like a score of their lives, recording and analyzing everything, with no external mechanism, will they have evolved a flash-light that somehow beams out one's head?
    At that point, the flashlight will not beam out of one's head, but another natural orifice, somewhat lower down.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Gulgong. Central west N.S.W. Australia
    Posts
    5,169

    Default Re: Iphones and electronic rubbish

    [QUOTE=Jim Mahan;

    When people one day have their computers real-timing everything in their heads, with theme music like a score of their lives, recording and analyzing everything, with no external mechanism, will they have evolved a flash-light that somehow beams out one's head?[/QUOTE]

    I'm kinda glad I'll be extinct before that s### happens. The stuff of nightmares Jim. JayInOz

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    20,459

    Default Re: Iphones and electronic rubbish

    Is Joe not out of bed yet?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    24,794

    Default Re: Iphones and electronic rubbish

    Free is good! But isn't there an old saying, "There ain't no such thing as a free iphone!"?
    Rick

    Lean and nosey like a ferret

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    East Quogue,NY
    Posts
    23,279

    Default Re: Iphones and electronic rubbish

    It's a hand computer.
    It is truly a pocket, hands-off, computer anytime it is tethered to Apple Watch, Apple TV, MacBook, your boat's engine or chartplotter, or other device.

    Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    37,804

    Default Re: Iphones and electronic rubbish

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    good phone even three generations behind current state of the art (which is mostly realized in the camera), still a better than decent camera, secure as long as you're not into kiddie porn, good shock and water resistance

    what's not to like?
    While running on Dog Beach in San Diego my iPhone 12 Pro Max bounced out of my back pocket and into the surf it took about 20 seconds of panic trying to find it. I picked it up poured fresh water on it. I though uggg it's gonna be toast, maybe a day or two in rice might bring it back, THEN my phone rang and I answered it like nothing happened. Still working perfectly, now I get to trade it in in a month or two for the 13 Pro Max

    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    67,361

    Default Re: Iphones and electronic rubbish

    I expect that once I've cleaned it up I'll stop being so pi55ed about the 'standard' content that offer. It certainly is a step up from my old, cheap, 6 year old generic. Not sure I want to link my apple laptop though.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Portland, Maine
    Posts
    21,785

    Default Re: Iphones and electronic rubbish

    Why not? When I walk in the door any photos I’ve taken during the day automatically are loaded on the laptop. Pretty convenient.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    Greater Northern Arizona Republic
    Posts
    500

    Default Re: Iphones and electronic rubbish

    Free is a great price, but I'll never get another phone from a carrier if I can avoid it. So much bloat. Paying up front for an unlocked device is well worth it to me.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Woodbridge, Suffolk, UK
    Posts
    27,110

    Default Re: Iphones and electronic rubbish

    I may have said this before, here.

    Running up the English Channel from the Solent, before an F8-9, the expensive Raymarine chart plotter became useless as we sailed off the edge of the chart. The chip was defective. Yes I had Imray paper charts and that was fine but they didn’t extend to the Long Sand Head and in that weather I wasn’t planning any cross sand routes in the Thames Estuary.

    Altering course to pass close off Dover breakwater I got a cell signal, got Navionics on the Iphone that I’m typing this on now, typed in my credit card number and downloaded the charts for the UK onto my phone. Armed with this we completed the voyage to Harwich.

    Would I be without an iphone in a Catalyst case? Not likely!
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,282

    Default Re: Iphones and electronic rubbish

    Perhaps this can give some insight, a technology acceptation model.

    TAM.jpg

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    7,930

    Default Re: Iphones and electronic rubbish

    Same here. Ultra mobile. Buy it once then about $35 usd/month. They probably won’t get the 13 for a while. Will have to settle for the 12 pro platinum ultra max. I’ll be ghetto dog.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    41,325

    Default Re: Iphones and electronic rubbish

    Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I expect that once I've cleaned it up I'll stop being so pi55ed about the 'standard' content that offer. It certainly is a step up from my old, cheap, 6 year old generic. Not sure I want to link my apple laptop though.
    I'd be interested to learn what you feel needs to be removed. Sure - you may not use Garage Band & various others, but it takes 5 seconds to remove the icon or move it to a back page. I've added apps that I use often - a compass that's surprisingly accurate, a level, a speedometer, a solar panel sighting tool, and one called Measure that will get surprisingly accurate measurements in a room/building, etc. These were all free.

    The built-in weather app is handy & enough for me (& I have a link to a screen that shows info from my own thermo/anemometer), and of course email, texts, alarms & timers (clock), and it even lets me make phone calls...
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    2 states: NJ and confusion
    Posts
    40,777

    Default Re: Iphones and electronic rubbish

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    good phone even three generations behind current state of the art (which is mostly realized in the camera), still a better than decent camera, secure as long as you're not into kiddie porn, good shock and water resistance

    what's not to like?
    We have a cell phone. My daughter put us on her plan and gave us the phone. It's really nice if one's car stops and one needs to call for help. It's nice if the market doesn't have something, and you can phone home and ask for an acceptable alternative. It takes surprisingly good photos.

    Seems everyone I know has lots and lots and lots of photos in their phones. I have a halfway decent camera. I upload photos to my computer. A few I print and hang in frames.

    The circle of family and friends I know seem to just keep them in their phones. I really wish they'd choose some favorites they might want to pass on to their future generations and have prints made.

    The old photo album is immune from changing technology.

    During the day, the cell phone gets as many ads as our landline. That is truly annoying.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    N. Fal on Cape Cod
    Posts
    17,656

    Default Re: Iphones and electronic rubbish

    Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I have had to change over to an I phone for tr=echnical reasons involving Covid and access.
    I have never seen such a collection of rubbish on offer. Pages and pages of it and it's all crap.
    I have just changed and I guess I'll manage to remove most of the offending junk when I sort out how it works. And as for Siri, I do not wish to have my car talk to me, let alone a b….y phone.
    And then there's the password nonsense, I have never had one and I do not intend to start, and of course I do not conduct financial matters on a phone or a laptop for that matter. They are no secure.
    I'll keep you posted how I go when I learn how to delete it all.
    If you start with this attitude you will never understand why you have been given an incredibly valuable tool, even though it is way out of date.

    I hope you pry your antedliuvian mind open. When you do you will find that your first impression is incorrect and that you have a life saving tool in your pocket.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

    Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    7,930

    Default Re: Iphones and electronic rubbish

    Some pretty neat health stuff coming online.

    A65C65D7-980C-480F-8FA1-9DCD5C463E4B.jpg

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Portland, Maine
    Posts
    21,785

    Default Re: Iphones and electronic rubbish

    Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    We have a cell phone. My daughter put us on her plan and gave us the phone. It's really nice if one's car stops and one needs to call for help. It's nice if the market doesn't have something, and you can phone home and ask for an acceptable alternative. It takes surprisingly good photos.

    Seems everyone I know has lots and lots and lots of photos in their phones. I have a halfway decent camera. I upload photos to my computer. A few I print and hang in frames.

    The circle of family and friends I know seem to just keep them in their phones. I really wish they'd choose some favorites they might want to pass on to their future generations and have prints made.

    The old photo album is immune from changing technology.

    During the day, the cell phone gets as many ads as our landline. That is truly annoying.
    John, you could ask the kids for a digital photo frame for Christmas. They are WiFi enabled now. The frame can be sitting on the shelf in your kitchen, right by where you have your coffee in the morning. Your kids and grandkids can take a photo on their phone and send it directly to your digital frame. Every time they send a photo it’ll go into the rotation of photos displaying in your kitchen. I’ve seen folks have fun with them - photo of the day, photo of the week. That sort of thing.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    21,850

    Default Re: Iphones and electronic rubbish

    Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    John, you could ask the kids for a digital photo frame for Christmas. They are WiFi enabled now. The frame can be sitting on the shelf in your kitchen, right by where you have your coffee in the morning. Your kids and grandkids can take a photo on their phone and send it directly to your digital frame. Every time they send a photo it’ll go into the rotation of photos displaying in your kitchen. I’ve seen folks have fun with them - photo of the day, photo of the week. That sort of thing.

    Someone had to do it.

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    2 states: NJ and confusion
    Posts
    40,777

    Default Re: Iphones and electronic rubbish

    Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    John, you could ask the kids for a digital photo frame for Christmas. They are WiFi enabled now. The frame can be sitting on the shelf in your kitchen, right by where you have your coffee in the morning. Your kids and grandkids can take a photo on their phone and send it directly to your digital frame. Every time they send a photo it’ll go into the rotation of photos displaying in your kitchen. I’ve seen folks have fun with them - photo of the day, photo of the week. That sort of thing.
    That sounds like fun. Long term it's less reliable than the old fashioned album full of prints. But I like the idea. I'll drop some hints.

    I put a LOT of photos on DVD slide shows, and we could see them on our tv. That's nice, but that technology is changing. My daughter no longer has a dvd player, and that's likely the new norm.

    100 years from now, unless they're thrown out, the photo albums on our shelf will be seen by future generation of the family.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, BRAZIL
    Posts
    5,129

    Default Re: Iphones and electronic rubbish

    Could you not download "Navionics" on an Android (Motorola) phone in a similar situation ?

    Why not ? A pure technicality or Apple´s market-clout in being able to strike deals across the board with other service providers ?

    People like me - and the poster in #2 - are eager to know !

    BTW, my wife and myself just renewed our phones, she does not budge from her iPhone preference, although it need not be a '12', '6' something will do....... I still find no reason to pay 3 x the price of my Motorola.( Read Obsolete, Senile engineer)

  33. #33
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    The Garden State
    Posts
    9,228

    Default Re: Iphones and electronic rubbish

    I had to upgrade my Mother's phone. She was still using a venerable old 6, but it was a sprint phone and at the end of the year will be a brick as that network will be turned off. I got her a nice shiny new iPhone 12. Now the learning curve commences.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

    -Dalai Lama

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    24,794

    Default Re: Iphones and electronic rubbish

    Quote Originally Posted by carioca1232001 View Post
    Could you not download "Navionics" on an Android (Motorola) phone in a similar situation ?

    Why not ? A pure technicality or Apple´s market-clout in being able to strike deals across the board with other service providers ?

    People like me - and the poster in #2 - are eager to know !

    BTW, my wife and myself just renewed our phones, she does not budge from her iPhone preference, although it need not be a '12', '6' something will do....... I still find no reason to pay 3 x the price of my Motorola.( Read Obsolete, Senile engineer)
    I have Navionics on my $150 Android phone.
    Rick

    Lean and nosey like a ferret

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, BRAZIL
    Posts
    5,129

    Default Re: Iphones and electronic rubbish

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I have Navionics on my $150 Android phone.
    Thanks for that. However, my Android was hacked by scoundrels the moment I attempted to operate my banking account, which saw me quit in succession.
    In contrast, my wife has done so for ages on the iPhone with no regrets, the same applying to all iPhone users of my acquaintance.
    In this regard, iPhones appear to be more secure, a tangible feature.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •