Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Caravelle Skiff by Chase Small Craft [VIDEOS]

Default Re: Caravelle Skiff by Chase Small Craft [VIDEOS]

Quote Originally Posted by ocean View Post
    Oh! I've missed some posts. She's looking really nice! Got to have your pulse quickening I suppose. Those spacers make her look really shippy! I did that on my last build and am considering it for the current one as well. Keep it up.

We're going to let the editing & videos go for a bit since they were making the build take a lot longer. We want to see if we can't sail her this year still - or at least row her around - so... videos are probably gonna be a lot longer in coming & won't quite keep up with progress here

That being said, a little build of the rudder, gunwales & inwales Not quite put together yet though!

We've started work on the keel and daggerboard in the meantime!
    ~ocean (they/them)

You guys are so fun!
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats

Quote Originally Posted by Clinton B Chase View Post
    You guys are so fun!
    So is building your boat!!!!

We need some help though. We're starting to look into wood for spars and I've called about a half dozen lumber yards near me, none of them have Sitka Spruce, Eastern White Spruce or Douglas Fir. How do you all find places that sell woods you need? I'm really struggling here and about to make a bad decision of going with something else that isn't as good. We're in southwest PA.

Any tips would be greatly, greatly appreciated! We feel so close, but so far at the same time

We put in a big day's worth of work yesterday with Diana! Keel, rub strips and skeg went in - very exciting! She really looks like a boat right now!

signal-2021-10-17-183428_001.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2021-10-17 at 6.31.30 PM.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2021-10-17 at 6.31.31 PM.jpg
    ~ocean (they/them)

Spent the day working on cleats for the aft flotation tank/seat, and they're all in, including reinforcements! Hooray! Can probably start thinking about cutting the tank top & ordering a little cargo hatch/deck plate.

We're having a heck of a time projecting a straight line for the side benches across a ~4 foot span. We've tried having a straight piece of wood between start and end point, then "projecting" that straight line onto the hull. This worked for the smaller spans of the flotation tanks. Every time we do this projection over 4 feet of pretty curvy hull, we get a line that's different, often by more than 1/8" difference in places. We've even tried beveling the piece of wood so the projection is done from a nominally horizontal surface, but not dice.

I've searched around but all of the information I've seen about projecting lines onto hull pertain to waterlines, on the outside of the boat, and they don't appear to work for concave shapes, just convex (like the hull from the outside).

Do folks have any suggestions?

Right now we're considering making a pattern for the benches out of scrap ply. That way the pattern itself projects where the cleats are supposed to go, and we can use the pattern to cut out our seats.

Would love to hear some wisdom here

And still no joy on finding spruce for masts & spars
    ~ocean (they/them)

Laser level in a dim room. They are handy for all kinds of things.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

I had thought about the laser level but didn't want to buy another tool that felt so modern.......... but guess who came home with a $14 laser level today & put the seat cleats in in a trice (with another person, because sheesh, that was not a single person task)?

THIS HUMAN

WhatsApp Image 2021-10-21 at 10.16.19 PM.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2021-10-21 at 10.16.19 PM2.jpg

The projection we had done wasn't super far off from what the laser level told us was appropriate. About 1/8" or so. If I had more scrap wood, I now would consider cutting a straight 2x4 or even 2x6 to size, settling it snug against the two end points, and then projecting with a straight edge. The extra surface & stiffness, I'm sure, would make it a fairly neat job

The bend on those beveled 1x2s was really big. All I could do to bend them into place while Diana drilled & screwed them in. I was really afraid it would just split, but the radiata pine hung in there like a champ Plans called for hardwood, but we went with oversized softwood. Really looking forward to those pieces relaxing over time - poor things are under a lot of stress right now

I also found Calvert Lumber, about one and a half hours from me, has plenty of douglas fir in all kinds of sizes. Definitely further than I wanted to go, but in the absence of any other kind of even semi-appropriate material, douglas fir it will be for masts and spars!

And now I know it exists, so if I ever get another project going (which I hope will not be necessary if this boat sticks around for a while, fingers crossed), I know I can make a trip and bring a bunch of material!

I have started fooling around with Blender+Sailflow 3 to try to figure out some sort of sail pattern. It probably will not be the greatest sail, but for a small skiff with just over 60sqft of sail, it hopefully will not be awful. I'm really feeling called to making as much of this project myself as I possibly can Going through the Sailmaker's Apprentice right now & highlighting all the relevant bits and bobs
    ~ocean (they/them)

I have been enjoying the videos and I think Iím sold on building a Caravelle as my first build. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by MattMKE View Post
    I have been enjoying the videos and I think I’m sold on building a Caravelle as my first build. Thank you!

That's such a lovely thing to hear, you have no idea Please let me know if/when you start - could be a great winter project!

I'm getting a pretty serious case of pandemic fatigue at the moment, with a lot less energy lately. BUT! Small progress keeps being achieved! We worked on tanktops and seats!

s1.jpg

s2.jpg

It's such a strange feeling to fill up the inside! Somehow it feels like she looks smaller

We originally tried to make tanktop patterns from angles off the sides and smaller patterns of only the side curves. The idea was that if our boat wasn't perfectly symmetrical - which I don't think it is - we would at least have a pattern that fit. But the angle measurements were absurdly hard to get with any accuracy, and fitting the side-curve patterns onto those angles was difficult as well. It really didn't work out and we wasted our last piece of large-enough scrap trying it.

What we ended up doing (with marine plywood!) was to take all the fore-and-aft and athwartships measurements and draw simple, symmetrical (along fore-and-aft) polygons with oversized measurements & curves spiled off the sides. It took a long time to gradually trim the oversized pieces into shape... fitting, trimming, fitting, trimming, fitting, trimming, and it was all but impossible to really understand where material was supposed to be trimmed from. We got a fairly decent fit in the end, for both fore and aft tanktops. Little errors of 1/8" at most that are relatively easily fixed through trimming some excess material here and there.

We've also finally committed to our paint after reading a fair amount about it. We're going with Behr Porch & Patio paint from Home Depot & KILZ 2 as a primer. There's an anti-slip version that we're using for the inside

Just missing the mast step & partner, plus the daggerboard & trunk before we paint.

Aaaaah, so close!
    ~ocean (they/them)

Quote Originally Posted by ocean View Post
    That's such a lovely thing to hear, you have no idea Please let me know if/when you start - could be a great winter project!
    maybe! I donít have a heated garage and donít quite have a straight shot line to outside from the basement. So at most, Iíll cut and make the bulkheads this winter, then out to the garage as soon as the weather warms up!

Boat is looking great in the latest photos, and so much more like a serious boat with the gunwales and inwales.

maybe! I don’t have a heated garage and don’t quite have a straight shot line to outside from the basement. So at most, I’ll cut and make the bulkheads this winter, then out to the garage as soon as the weather warms up!
    It might be worth considering making & dry fitting the hull in the basement and letting the timber settle. Once the weather warms, you might be able to pull a few dozen screws off, then put it back together in the garage. Even after just a couple days dry fitted both our gunwales/inwales (radiata pine) and chine logs (red oak) had taken on a tiny bit of their new form, so the "putting back together" might be a whole lot easier than originally. If you're making a sailing version, I'm also finding that the spars & sail can be made independently, so that's another task you can do

Just throwing some options in case you're itching to get started on something

Boat is looking great in the latest photos, and so much more like a serious boat with the gunwales and inwales.
    Yessss, I *really* love the look of broken inwales. It gives boats such a sleek look Plus, they're attachment points for lots of stuff. We're hoping to have some ropes to hang extra seats, maybe oars, etc attached through there.

They are a whole lot of extra work though - as was doing a rabbeted gunwale And we haven't even had to paint all those little holes, hehe.
    ~ocean (they/them)

I got to see a Caravelle in person today and it also had the broken inwales. Even more sold on it now that I’ve seen it in person — it seems just the right size to build as my first boat build!