Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caravelle Skiff by Chase Small Craft [VIDEOS]

Default Caravelle Sailing Skiff by Chase Small Craft [VIDEOS]

Hey 'yall!

First-time boat builders with some basic woodworking experience here. We wanted a small car-toppable sail boat that could carry two people, and we really like the aesthetics of long flowy lines rather than more square designs like the OZ Goose. We looked around a bunch and ended up settling on the Caravelle 14 by Chase Small Craft. Got the plans couple weeks ago, did a 12hr round trip Friday before last to get some marine plywood, and have been building since!

There's a fair amount of boat-building content out there, but nothing that comes off as explicitly queer, gentle, sex-positive, lefty, etc, so we thought we'd give that a shot as we document our boat building process

Videos are probably never going to be great quality since documenting is secondary to boat-building at the moment. Also, the camera's battery keeps running out That said, here's episode 1, where we start cutting into our small but precious supply of marine plywood! Aaaah, so scary!

Here is a non-exhaustive list of decisions we seem to have made so far:
    • This first boat isn't meant to last for decades. It's ok to cheap out a bit & see how regular maintenance affects longevity.
    • Using Hydrotek meranti plywood - almost half as expensive as Okoume.
    • Use PL Max Premium, chine logs & screws.
    • Avoid fiberglassing & epoxy as much as possible.
    • Using "premium" (no knots) pine because that's what we can easily find locally at big box stores & I am tired of phone calls, hehe.
    • Probably painting exterior and interior in colors inspired by portuguese boats.

Going to rest a bit while editing episode 2 now

Would love to hear people's thoughts on how to paint in order to seal up the boat well. I'm considering latex paints since I've read good things about it on this forum

Did I mention we don't actually know how to sail? Stay tuned for THAT adventure when the time comes
    Last edited by ocean; 09-14-2021 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Just adding sailing to the title :)
    ~ocean (they/them)

Default Re: Caravelle Skiff by Chase Small Craft [VIDEOS]

Welcome to the Forum!
    I built the very first boat of that design many, many, many years ago before it was called the Caravelle.
    I don't think the designer even had a name for it when I built the boat. I believe Chase Small Boats has refined the design since. It is a good rowing craft but I never did put the sailing rig on it. I sold it long ago to move onto other boats.
    Your descriptions sounded good up until I saw "pine" and "box stores" mentioned. Yikes!! Please do not use cheap pine on your boat, you're just asking for rot after all that hard work. I've used cherry wood on some of my boats and have been satisfied. It can be found at any decent lumberyard and in the long run is money well spent and not all that much more. Anything but pine!
    As for paint, I used latex paint very successfully on a plywood boat I built over 20 years ago. But, that boat had been fiberglassed. I've since built several glued lap plywood boats without epoxy and used oil base paint. I've been happy with Rustoleum oil based marine paint. It's very good and cheaper then the major brands.
    I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    I built the very first boat of that design many, many, many years ago before it was called the Caravelle.
    That's incredible! I am absolutely loving that so many designs have a history to them that you can learn & connect to. Makes all of these efforts more meaningful!

I understand about the pine. So far we've only used them for bulkhead cleats. I called a lot of places for marine plywood but that was a no-go. I called a local lumberyard but they only had construction grade douglas fir 2x4, which didn't seem suitable. I will try a few more calls tomorrow!

Would a full coat of decent paint kept in good repair throughout the entire boat not avoid many of the rot problems? I know this is a very contentious issue Not trying to start anything, just trying to avoid not breaking the bank right at this moment. It was hard not to bring the whole hardwood stock at Homestead Hardwoods in Ohio where we got the plywood
    ~ocean (they/them)

I just dug out the old set of plans.
    The designer is Eric Risch and he drew the plans back in 1991 as an entry in a "The Perfect Skiff" contest by Wooden Boat magazine. He didn't win, but I would say that the design won in the long run with the number of hulls built. I still remember him making a special trip just to see the completed boat.
    It was called the Caravela back then but with only one 'L'.
    My plans mention Honduras mahogany for the wood pieces, but that is rarely used anymore. After thinking about it, I remembered that I used Phillipine mahogany for the wooden pieces. That is a 'mahogany' readily available and sustainable. You might check out Meranti decking lumber and use that to make your wood pieces. Again, at a decent lumberyard.
    Lumberyard are strange. There is a small chain of lumberyards here in New England, but one will have hardwoods and another won't.

As for longevity, I once built an 8' dingy out of 1/4" AC plywood and pine framing as a tender to a sailboat that I had built that was on a mooring. This dinghy was left on the beach, chained to a post. Not wanting to spend money on a boat that could easily be stolen, I used the cheap wood and latex paint (no epoxy other then the seams). I called it my "Piece-O-Crap" dinghy. That thing lasted for three years and was still in great shape when I sold it with the sailboat.

Here are some pictures of Hull#1 built 30 years ago.
    Some slight changes have been made to the current plan.
    Length of mine was 14' 9". That has been shortened to 14' 4".
    The waterline length remains the same as does the beam.
    A daggerboard has replaced the centerboard of the original design.
    Floatation tanks have been added to the sailing version.
    My set of plans had floorboards. Not sure if the current design calls for them.

The boat you see next to the skiff is a 15' Rushton pulling(row) boat that I built about 15 years ago.
    It was designed in the 1880's and I got the plans form the Adirondack Museum at Blue Mountain Lake and converted the plans to use glued lap marine plywood. I still have that boat.

15' sailing skiff 001.jpg

15' sailing skiff 003.jpg

Thank you so much for sharing that info! I'd love to learn more about the origins of the Caravela name. I'm from Portugal, and that is exactly the portuguese spelling for a caravel, which we used a lot back in our unfortunate imperialistic days of the 15-16th centuries & beyond.

Your boats look beautiful - I highly doubt we'll achieve the same quality for right now, but as long as it's a functional boat for a couple of years at least, we will be happy with the investment! And what's the finish on the Rushton? Did you epoxy it at all? It looks fabulous after all of 15 years! Once our Caravelle finally retires, it really need to consider a design with strip planking. They are absolutely gorgeous.

I'll need to call all the local lumberyards again, as you suggested. I'd love a more resistant wood for the chine logs, but I am reading that meranti doesn't bend very well. The search continues

In the meantime, we have put together the second episode where we put together the bottom of the boat, make bulkheads, frame & transom. I'm finding I prefer both editing & watching slower, more meditative videos, so I might keep going that route here. Let me know what you enjoy seeing & we'll try to accommodate

For those less inclined to video, here's an image of our progress so far

index.jpg
    ~ocean (they/them)

You've got a very good co-builder there!
    Things look like they are going well.
    The Rushton is held together by epoxy but not coated with it.
    The boat lives in my garage when not in use and is used sparingly, thus the good looks after 15 years.
    The boat is lowered into the water and boarded with it never touching the shore. Made of 4mm ply, it only weights about 80 lbs.
    The finish is MinWax stain covered with about 8 coats of marine gloss varnish.

Congrats on the videos. Very fun. Our volunteer community boatshop just finished a Caravelle in connection with a group of veterans from the VA hospital in town. It was an excellent project. We used Clint Chase's kit, which main saves a lot of the pattern making you're doing. But lo and behold, Clint himself showed up for a week and worked and taught in our shop. He's a great teacher, and Caravelle is a fine design. Proof: We launched "Patriot" in some protected Milwaukee Harbor waters and had a fine time rowing and sailing. She ghosts along even when there is hardly any wind. I'm hoping we get a chance to try her in a breeze, but that probably won't happen until next summer. All of which is a pretty long winded way of saying you have chosen very well. Caravelle was a delight to build, the build resulted in plenty of boat for the effort, you will appreciate her portability, and you'll find she rigs easily and sails very well. I'm a big fan.

Oh, also, I've used "select pine" or "clear pine" from the big box. It's imported from New Zealand of all places. You need to check each piece for straightness. But it seems like pretty good stuff (at a pretty good price) and if it's the same stuff for you as it is here, you'll be ok. What you don't want is big box "white lumber", which is ... well, no one quite knows. Might be pine, or fir, or something...

You've got a very good co-builder there!
    Things look like they are going well.
    The Rushton is held together by epoxy but not coated with it.
    The boat lives in my garage when not in use and is used sparingly, thus the good looks after 15 years.
    The boat is lowered into the water and boarded with it never touching the shore. Made of 4mm ply, it only weights about 80 lbs.
    The finish is MinWax stain covered with about 8 coats of marine gloss varnish.
    I absolutely love that you called Diana a co-builder, because that is certainly what she is! There's yet another character at play in this build... Cam the Ham, who mostly putzes around & farts a lot (often scaring himself in the process)

This information gives me a lot of hope in proper maintenance being a key factor in keeping a boat in good shape. There are a lot of firsts here for us, so we appreciate all the wisdom that's being shared. Gives us a lot more confidence!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul356 View Post
    Oh, also, I've used "select pine" or "clear pine" from the big box. It's imported from New Zealand of all places. You need to check each piece for straightness. But it seems like pretty good stuff (at a pretty good price) and if it's the same stuff for you as it is here, you'll be ok. What you don't want is big box "white lumber", which is ... well, no one quite knows. Might be pine, or fir, or something...

Thank you for sharing that story - I hope that breeze finds you sooner rather than later! The more I hear about this design, the more I am enamored with it. And I'd seen so little information about it that I am very excited so many folks have had good experiences with it! I chatted with Clint over the phone yesterday as we figured out some loose threads in the plans, and he is such a pleasure to interact with. All around an incredible experience so far!

And that is precisely the pine that I got - the one from New Zealand. That gives me a lot more confidence in using it around the boat! I still think I might try to find something 12 foot & a little stronger just for the chine logs. I believe the current plans mention cedar, probably due to the chines being down where the water pools, but wouldn't that be too weak? Would love any recommendations!

Thank you all again - you are making an already wonderful experience into something even better
    ~ocean (they/them)

Hi from Australia. Shall enjoy watching you all go through with your build.

I think that pine will be radiata, grown in plantations. I have no idea whether you've got heartwood or sapwood. But it might be worthwhile googling a bit on its properties before using it too extensively. We use it extensively for house frame building, furniture, shelving and so on and also I used it for the boat strongback and other odds and sods whilst building. I used hoop pine for my boat framing which you wouldn't be able to get, but your American friends should be able to tell you what to buy as an economical alternative to radiata. I've just pulled some radiata out of a dinghy I recently bought. All the other wood in the boat was fine but the radiata was rotten.

That said, it's all up to you of course.
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

I wouldn't build a boat from Radiata pine here in NZ.
    You probably get the best quality export grade stuff, but it's not rot resistant at all.
    To save money the building industry stopped pressure treating it properly in the 90's for use as internal framing.
    At the same time the builders started using construction glue for weatherproofing.
    Black mush!

Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    I've just pulled some radiata out of a dinghy I recently bought. All the other wood in the boat was fine but the radiata was rotten.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacko View Post
    I wouldn't build a boat from Radiata pine here in NZ.
    I just double-checked and sure enough, it appears to be radiata, so that is sad news indeed! Do you know what the age & finish were on that boat, johnno? Trying to gather as much information about the circumstances in which things rot. I hear & read so many conflicting reports that I'm trying to make sense of it all! There's got to be an explanation out there somewhere!
    ~ocean (they/them)

And actually, we just finished cutting out pieces for one of the sides and couldn't resist putting a pretend hull up! Lines aren't there yet because we can't fit the bulkheads & frames, but we got a good glimpse of the size! We're worried she won't come out of the basement, so we'll have to dry fit her & try that. If she doesn't come out, we'll have to figure something out to build her outside!

We can tell she's gonna be comfy though. I wonder if Cam will become a sailing dog!

WhatsApp Image 2021-09-15 at 11.53.12 AM.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2021-09-15 at 11.53.12 AM.2jpeg.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2021-09-15 at 11.53.12 AM3.jpg
    ~ocean (they/them)

Quote Originally Posted by ocean View Post
    Do you know what the age & finish were on that boat, johnno?
    I think it was built in about 2015 so not too old at all, but not well finished in some places.

A couple of times in my first and second builds, I was short on good pine and was tempted to use the 'clear pine' radiata in the shed instead of going out to buy some more good wood. But I never did - it's just too loose grained and prone to rot. I understand your difficulties sourcing some reasonably priced alternative, and I can't be much use from over here, but knowing all the time and effort you will put into this boat, even with the workboat ethic (which I share btw), I'd really try to find the alternative. I doubt it will cost that much more in the end either, on a small boat.

I think it was built in about 2015 so not too old at all, but not well finished in some places.

A couple of times in my first and second builds, I was short on good pine and was tempted to use the 'clear pine' radiata in the shed instead of going out to buy some more good wood. But I never did - it's just too loose grained and prone to rot. I understand your difficulties sourcing some reasonably priced alternative, and I can't be much use from over here, but knowing all the time and effort you will put into this boat, even with the workboat ethic (which I share btw), I'd really try to find the alternative. I doubt it will cost that much more in the end either, on a small boat.

Ok, now I need someone else to come in here with some good news! Anyone? Anyone at all???

We have decided to absolutely go with something else for the chine logs. If I'm reading right, the plans call for White Cedar, but while that is rot-resistant, it doesn't look like it would be too strong, so I'm worried I've got that wrong. I think I'm going to keep looking for Douglas Fir, which feels like it ought to be accessible here in north east USA.

We glued the two scarves for the sides today. We're going to leave some weight on it for a full 24hrs to be sure of the cure. I think the next steps are:
    1) Make the stem
    2) Ripping some random hardwood we randomly found somewhere we don't remember for the bases of the frame & bulkheads
    3) Put bevels on bulkheads, frame, transom
    4) Build some sawhorses that we can ensure are level due to our uneven floors
    5) Start putting the hull together!!!

Hoping to have found some 12' decent timber for chine logs by then!
    ~ocean (they/them)

Well done on the scarves and the future plans sound good. One good thing I found was that once I had a timber species for framing (in my case Hoop Pine) but maybe for you Douglas Fir, that was the only wood I used apart form the ply for the whole boat. All my framing, knees, thwarts, mast, boom, etc were the one species, so at least that is simple and also meant I had little wastage because leftover bits were always used somewhere else. I think I only used some other timber was when I used some hardwood scrap to make cleats and similar. Looking good!

One good thing I found was that once I had a timber species for framing (in my case Hoop Pine) but maybe for you Douglas Fir, that was the only wood I used apart form the ply for the whole boat.
    That's really interesting, and honestly sounds like such a good way to go. I am spending a lot of time worrying and obsessing over woods at the moment, and it's taking its toll. I emailed Clint and he said that cedar is indeed what the plans call for, and I know where I can get some 1x4x12 white cedar plenty cheaper than the oak we were considering. I can rip it right down the middle and have two full-length chine logs. Gluing it all with PL MAX Premium & putting some screws in and I'm hoping we will be good!

Have lots of footage from this week & good progress, but will be hopefully getting some more from two intense build days this weekend (maybe even a hull dry fit?!), then editing Monday/Tuesday hopefully for the video. In the meantime, here's a couple of pics!

First, part of the sides rough-cut. These were later planed down, scarfed & joined into full-sized sides! I do love me some planing, though it does tend to cause a tiny bit of tear-out in some situations. I've seen someone using a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade. It goes slower, but also creates next to no tear-out. So that's something to consider!

IMG_0241.jpg

Here's the transom cleated with some reclaimed boards I mentioned in ep2

IMG_0231.jpg

And this week involved a lot of beveling of transom, bulkheads, frames I do enjoy me some planing, but am noticing it's easy to get some tear-out in the outside layers of the ply. We now have a belt sander that I need to be more proactive about using. Perhaps the best is to handsaw (the jigsaw causes lots of tear-out as well) and then sand.

IMG_0306.jpg
    Last edited by ocean; 09-17-2021 at 10:32 PM.
    ~ocean (they/them)

Videos sure take a long time to edit! But here's episode 3, where we glue up the two sides of the boat & make a sprint to have everything ready to put the hull together. We don't quite get there just yet, but we're getting close!

We've actually dry fit the hull already, but I don't have any good pictures on me just yet. It looks like we made a couple mistakes with the middle frame, which led to some non-fair lines down the chine. We're either going to have to move the frame somewhere else or shim it. I'm leaning towards the latter! Bulkheads are looking nice though!
    ~ocean (they/them)

Apologies for the double-post, but we built a level bed for the boat & lay it on top, then got some pictures we wanted to share! There is definitely some twist to it. Do folks have a good method for getting rid of it? The stuff I've read so far just tells me to remove it, hehehe

In the picture below, you can tell the aft & forward bulkheads are level, the middle frame is lower on the port side & the transom is lower on the starboard side.

IMG_0358.jpg

My thoughts right now are to proceed with installing the chine logs, which will be oak & thus stiff, and while fastening them, attempt to remove some of the twist. When we set screw the bottom in, we can make sure everything is level before predrilling & screwing. I am thinking that the bottom will be a big part of the structure & thus be good at keeping the boat straight!

IMG_0359.jpg

Still in love with those curves
    ~ocean (they/them)

Ripped along our 1x4x12' to create two chine logs with a nice bevel for any water to slide off of. Because they are oak, we decided we could at least leave them on the hull getting some shape in. They seem to go in place rather well with clamps, but still exert a fair amount of pressure.

We're probably going to glue&screw bulkheads & frame to the hull for extra purchase before they go in. Last thing we need is for them to rip the plywood right off the stem or transom!

IMG_0368.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ~ocean (they/them)

Ok, now I need someone else to come in here with some good news! Anyone? Anyone at all???
    Well, this boat has a hull and thwarts built of radiata pine from a big box store, and I haven't experienced any problems whatsoever:

Alaska.jpg

I'm always a bit puzzled over the hate that radiata pine seems to attract here. The select grade stuff is lovely to work with, absolutely knot-free, and from all the data I've seen online, it seems to compare quite favorably to other softwoods as far as strength and weight. And, it's inexpensive--I spent about $400 U.S. to plank my hull.

Rot resistant? I think there are plenty of woods that are not rot resistant. Occume is one, but it's widely used in plywood.

For a trailer-sailed small boat that's kept dry when not in the water, radiata has been fine in my experience. Of course, I glassed the outside of the hull, which must help prevent water getting to the wood. But it's just epoxy and paint on the inside, no glass. Launched in 2017, close to 1,000 sailing miles by now, if not slightly more.

I do wonder if sometimes people are just repeating what they have heard when they seem so afraid of radiata. Or, maybe it was the way the wood was treated (a boat allowed to sit full of water outdoors, etc.) rather than the species that is the problem.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck with the rest of your build!

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

It's starting to look like a boat!

That's a gorgeous boat Tom! I'm hoping to avoid epoxy, but it's my understanding that it's a good water-proof material. I think I'll make my boat a case study for what happens when no epoxy is used
    ~ocean (they/them)

That's a gorgeous boat Tom! I'm hoping to avoid epoxy, but it's my understanding that it's a good water-proof material. I think I'll make my boat a case study for what happens when no epoxy is used
    I suspect a reasonable paint job and no epoxy, and especially taking care not to let the boat sit untended and full of water, is sufficient to prevent the vast majority of problems in dry-sailed small boats. Then again, I am neither a pro nor an expert, so my free "advice" is worth exactly every penny paid for it...

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

After the chine logs' glue set, we went on to planing them. What a work out. Oak, being hardwood, really lives up to the name! Our small makeshift stand for the boat is also very low, so it's very uncomfortable to plane or work for longer periods of time. I think we are done with the work that needs a super flat, level surface, so I am looking forward to more comfortable positions.

She ended up with some twist & bend fore'n'aft, but after putting in the bottom today & being generous with the force applied before screwing it in, it looks like we managed to get it basically level all the way through at least. The transom has a slight angle, and the tip of the bow might also, but from the inside of the basement she looks great.

IMG_0417.jpg

Apparently, she's also ready to paddle away!

IMG_0406.jpg

Still loving her lines. Pictures really cannot convey the presence of a boat.

Now that the bottom is in, screwed, glued & curing, she has very little flexibility left. There's just a bit at the sheer, which should go away once the inwales & gunwales go in.

The instructions call for the knees & breasthook to go in next, but I'd like the (slotted) inwales & gunwales to meet pleasingly with them, so I think I'll put them in first, then make the breasthooks & knees with some indentations for the inwales.

Hoping to edit the video showing the hull & bottom come together in the next couple of days. It takes a long time to edit them
    ~ocean (they/them)

Here's the episode with the putting together of the hull, minus chine logs & bottom

Always open to any feedback about what works & doesn't in these videos, or any thoughts or questions about the build!
    ~ocean (they/them)

Looks like you're having a lot of fun!! That's what it's all about. Brings back lots of memories from building my SD11.

Copied from another thread down in the tools section of the forum. Headed out to the forge today & made a little fairlead/deadeye. Definitely not perfect, but it's something. Will make an episode out of it so folks can see how it was made! In the meantime, here's a quick blurry pic of the result

Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 23.12.03.jpg

After editing for three days straight, also put together the video for the bottom going in. Definitely exhausted after that push so you won't see us quite as energetic. But the boat is still gorgeous & getting better every time we work on it

The chines were a piece of work, let me tell you Really struggled to figure out how to get them in, then got a measurement wrong & had one a little too short, got a bad pinch while sliding it into position, planing was an absolutely ordeal... the boat is way too low to work on comfortably. We should probably figure something else out But we're hoping the really big planing stuff is done with.

We'll see!
    ~ocean (they/them)

And here's a totally different episode, where I step into the blacksmith's shop and forge a fairlead/deadeye! I left a lot of information in there for folks who might not have a ton of exposure to blacksmithing, so it's long... but I also added chapters so people can easily navigate to the parts they like more

Hope you enjoy this!

I've been pretty exhausted from editing so we haven't done a lot on the boat. We put in maybe an hour's worth of work yesterday. I started routing the gunwales & Diana started on the rudder!!!
    ~ocean (they/them)

Working on gunwales & slotted inwales, apparently called broken inwales as well?

IMG_0490.jpg

We seem to have acquired a ... number ... of clamps :P

Also, work on the rudder has started.

IMG_0486.jpg

I'm scared to work on the breasthook & knees since they need to be fitted well to the inwales...But it has to happen at some point soon as well.
    ~ocean (they/them)

I'm with WI-Tom on the clear-pine/radiata. I have used it successfully, both epoxied and simply varnished. No issues. It is a pleasure to handle.

Yes! It has been a joy to work with, even if it's noticeably soft. Just clamping it leaves some marks - but I'm not worried about that. As long as it holds together, I'm happy!

It's been a few slower weeks after getting a little burnt out with all the editing Getting back into the editing part today, and thought I'd give folks a quick update in the meantime!

WhatsApp Image 2021-10-11 at 9.40.42 PM.jpg

The rabbetted gunwales and broken inwales are in, as are the breasthook and quarter knees (made out of 2x6 & 2x12 pine - a little soft, but hey...). Around 28 spacers for the inwales per side, if I remember correctly, so 56 total. It was a challenge dry-fitting and -screwing everything. Most of the pieces had some form or another of interaction with one another, so they mostly needed to go in together. The gunwales are screwed through the ply, inwale spacers and inwale, for example. And the inwales slot into breasthooks and knees. I'm generally happy with how it came out, though there are some parts that could use improvement.

But she is solid, and getting heavy.

The plans call for ~1x2" mahogany for the keel, but we're going with 1x4" cedar. I still haven't gotten around to finding a lumber supplier around here, so we're going with the easier routes for now. We're hoping the increased thickness will compensate for the softness of the cedar, but we really wanted something that would withstand rot well. We will also be installing two further rub strips on the bottom near the sides. We checked out a lot of ramps out in Lake Arthur / Moraine State Park where we might end up sailing, and judging from what we saw, we're likely to scrape the bottom here and there. Hence the desire for rot-resistant bottom
    ~ocean (they/them)

It would be nice to have a hardwood for the keel since it will take a beating dragging on a beach on coming on and off the trailer. Cedar could be a bit soft for that.
    The boat is coming along fine! You'll be launching before the snow flies.

It would be nice to have a hardwood for the keel since it will take a beating dragging on a beach on coming on and off the trailer. Cedar could be a bit soft for that.
    The boat is coming along fine! You'll be launching before the snow flies.
    I agree so very much! I'm just a little overwhelmed at the moment, otherwise I'd go visit a few lumberyards & see what I can find. Big box stores have red oak, but that will absorb water like nobody's business and rot. I figured with cedar, even when the paint chips off, it'll have good resistance until I can give it another quick coat of paint.

When we checked out potential launch points, we found some places that road next to grass that goes all the way to a sandy beach with a couple pebbles. There was one particularly where motorboats weren't allowed. We're really into that spot. That plus the boat being hopefully well under 150lb (before rigging), has me hoping we might be able to avoid scraping to a large extent. Might also splurge on some metal half-ovals like the plans call for too if I can find them cheap enough or find that forging them isn't too much work, though I'm pretty sure it will be, hehe
    ~ocean (they/them)