Thread: Ex-Larry Pardey Tumlaren Annalisa for sale on Seattle CL for pocket change.

Default Ex-Larry Pardey Tumlaren Annalisa for sale on Seattle CL for pocket change.

Stop reading and just go buy this boat right now:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/b...379528398.html

I don't know if anything really needs to be said here. If I had the capacity to take this boat on I would be on a ferry to Port Townsend right now, not sitting here writing about it. This is the boat you buy, restore, sail for a lifetime, and then pass on to your children.

More info here:

https://classicsailboats.org/tumlaren-knud-reimers/
    - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Life is short. Go boating now!

Default Re: Ex-Larry Pardey Tumlaren Annalisa for sale on Seattle CL for pocket change.

$9 grand is "pocket change"??
    Must be way bigger pockets than mine!
    Beautiful boat though!!

Default Re: Ex-Larry Pardey Tumlaren Annalisa for sale on Seattle CL for pocket change.

I'd want to know the woods and scantlings as so many of this sort are a bit light for US use. Also interior shots which I'll bet is utterly raw.

Quote Originally Posted by WBViking View Post
    $9 grand is "pocket change"??
    Must be way bigger pockets than mine!
    Beautiful boat though!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    I'd want to know the woods and scantlings as so many of this sort are a bit light for US use. Also interior shots which I'll bet is utterly raw.
    All reasonable points and questions. Maybe I just have a soft spot for double ended boats, but this one seems special. I'm sure it's not practical. Couldn't live on it. Not a comfortable cruiser. But the same could be said for a Rozinante, and to my eye the Tumlaren is the lovelier boat.

As for $9k being "pocket change"... no, I suppose not. But in comparison to the cost of restoring and owning a boat like this it's a tiny amount of money. Plus I expect that it will go for much less than that in the end.
    - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Gorgeous boats & definitely light scantlings - not intended for open water at all.

She'd be perfect for someone with a waterfront home.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

What might container shipping to the right coast cost?

I wonder if it would squeeze into a container. She's might be a tad too tall.
    -Dave

The ad's gone. Sold maybe?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    I wonder if it would squeeze into a container. She's might be a tad too tall.
    High Cube containers are 96 tall and 86 wide.
    Any idea what one costs for such a trip?

Well that didn’t last long!
    - Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Gorgeous boats & definitely light scantlings - not intended for open water at all.

There was one in Seattle, guy at Doc Freeman's owned it. From Google: "The class became popular worldwide. Examples are to be found all round the Baltic, in the UK, North America and Australia.[4] The total number built is given variously from 'At least 200'[5] to 'Some 600',[6] with '660' given in Vanessa Bird's 'Classic Classes'.[3]"

I lusted after a Tum for years………. should have bought one when I had the chance, but I was busy in a 10-11 hour day job and I didn't…………….. she looks a treat.

These are really fantastic looking boats. It is good to see another one that will no doubt be returned to the water before too long.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post

Gets an interesting write-up in "Heavy Weather Sailing", Adlard Coles.
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Also listed on the Wooden Boat Forum Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4592...7853972046386/
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Ad is back up on Craigslist as well.
    - Chris

"Gets an interesting write-up in "Heavy Weather Sailing", Adlard Coles." [#14]
    My hazy memory does not get much past less mass means less stress. Could you flesh out Coles' main points?

Mea culpa, I assumed that most would have a copy, the entire book is about tactics and consequences when sailing in storm or near storm conditions.

I'll dig out my copy and summarise when I get home.

My copy (along with many other treasures) went down with Goblin in hurricane Bob.

Love the purple boot stripe! There once was a Tum in Michigan City's harbor and several from the Chicago area would appear at the yacht club after competing in Lk Michigan races like the annual Tri-State.

From "Heavy Weather Sailing" Chapter 2

They - The tumlaren class - were comparable in size and speed to the Dragons, but had a much larger cabin, where, "One person can be accomodated in comfort, two in tolerance, three in tenseness, and four in bitter enmity".

A light displacement yacht of this type is a a delight to handle. Although inclined to be sluggish in light airs, in any reasonable wind Zara was lively and fast, well balanced and light as a featheron the helm.

The meat of the chapter is a description of an easterly passage in a rising westerly gale from the shelter of land downwind into deterioration conditions - and eventually being pooped - having a large wave break over the stern filling the cockpit.

Before the wave struck her Zara had been a thing of life, riding confidently over the following seas.
    From a buoyant yacht she had become in an instant an irresponsive, partially waterlogged object that could sink under the next wave.
    I realised that she was like the gaily coloured metal boats I played with as a child and which sink in the bath if too much water gets into them.

I can't imagine sailing a boat like this in any weather where she might be pooped. Of course I'm not much of a sailor in the best of conditions, but even so this seems like an inshore boat. Perfect for day sailing or spartan cruising around some local archipelago. Not the boat for blue water sailing or extended cruising. Still, this seems like the equivalent of finding a vintage Maserati in a basement, covered in dust and needing restoration.
    - Chris

Count on minimum 6k to move her to a yard. 3k for new sails. 1500 for new rigging. 8 days labor deck prep and paint. We have no idea of frames inside or cabin condition. currently it is a free boat. The seller is not doing anyone a favor asking more than it takes to move it. It actually speaks volumes he/she sat on it unfinished during a prime sailing season, no pictures of it sailing nor waxing on about how they enjoyed it.

I am pretty sure a lazy man with a fat wallet could have a real nice afternoon boat. She is not a life long mistress nor a boat to pass on to family members who aren’t into it. She lacks the speed or design to sail beyond sheltered waters. A hanging outboard a pain in the bum. Even a young Larry Pardey knew it was time and place kinda thing. That boat for him was about his dad, youth and learning to sail well. If you remember and knew Larry in his prime, the boat is not for you.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 09-22-2021 at 05:12 AM.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

Kinda like a vintage ragtop; fun to take out on a sunny summer day for quick buzz around, but not an every day ride.

Actually, the condition of a boat’s topsides can tell you quite a lot about her framing.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Sigh. For a bunch of wooden boat owners you all have remarkably little poetry in your souls. If you found Aileron sitting in the weeds by the highway you would drive on by, muttering about light framing and engineless sailing and all the reasons why she wasn’t worth saving.
    - Chris

Alerion I would pull over for....Rozinante too...

Me? I’d pull over for an old broken down fishing boat. Oh, wait - I did that already!
    - Chris

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Chris ,
    If dat bote had popped up 6 years ago, before I got Wonderland for free (about 15 grand into her now)...I'd bring her home.A grand or two for the boat mover, not 6.

Frames too small? pop a few lams on top
    Open cockpit? Drop in a well with a dedicated Rule3700
    Outboard on de starn? This might be the boat to install an electric pod in the rudder, as much as I rag on "lectric momo's.
    dang gol dang.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Chris ,
    If dat bote had popped up 6 years ago, before I got Wonderland for free (about 15 grand into her now)...I'd bring her home.A grand or two for the boat mover, not 6.

Frames too small? pop a few lams on top
    Open cockpit? Drop in a well with a dedicated Rule3700
    Outboard on de starn? This might be the boat to install an electric pod in the rudder, as much as I rag on "lectric momo's.
    dang gol dang.
    Bruce, you are in my head this morning! That's exactly what I was thinking too. But I'm all full up on boats right now.
    - Chris

Im retired, have waning abilities and sail for a few hours on nice days. Even though i already have too many boats, I could find the right day for that boat.
    Whats a high cube container cost?